“Hidden gem”

Cuisines: Scottish, British, Bar, Cafe, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Great food - I had the fish cakes, ox cheek and the trifle for desert.
My colleagues also enjoyed their food.
Fish cakes were more thai than I thought they would be but was a nice surprise and I enjoyed them.
The ox cheek was my favourite course and was well cooked.
Trifle also nice.
Good selection of drinks across the board.
I had a rose lemonade which wasn't great and an organic cherry beer which was really good.
Would definately go back.
Service was good and the staff were friendly.
Restaurant has a cosy feel :)

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had heard great things about the Roseleaf and we had to book to be sure of a table at lunch time, so I had high expectations.
However the service was average, (they seem to be a bit complacent maybe, as they are obviously very popular), and my food was bland, stodgy and tasteless.
Not to be recommended.

1  Thank jetsetter057
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We had the Bloody Rose and Krak Slapper cocktails out of a teapot and the ox cheek for dinner. Amazing from start to finish!

1  Thank cmcmahon8
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Went for lunch there after a visit to the Royal Yacht (it is nearby) and, while it is a lovely pub and restaurant, with interesting decor, clever menu presentation and attentive staff, I just got the feeling that they were all a little blasé in their approach. Also the food, while very well presented and tasty, just seemed to lack the edge and the portions were quite small. The Yorkshire Pudding was the worst that I have ever tasted - more like a dumpling with no air or crispiness. The Roseleaf has lots of potential, but maybe they have done too well for too long and need a shake-up?

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The venue is charming and full of character. The staff are welcoming and attentive. There are some excellent wines at reasonable prices. We went with friends who had eaten there several times before and had good experiences. One of our party on this occasion was a professional chef. Cullen skink should be rich and comforting: the night we visited it was lacklustre, the leek was raw and unappetising. We weren't charged. Three main courses were fine, two less so. Coley on samphire - a good size portion of fish well cooked, plenty of samphire bright and fresh, spoiled by heavy handed seasoning and a plate swimming in oil. A sauce served with a steak that was greasy and unpleasant - everyone in our party tried it and pulled a face. The waiter tasted it and agreed that it was unpleasant. Meant to be a pepper sauce. The meal finished on a good note with desserts and a 10% reduction in our bill. It would appear that there is a new chef so hopefully this was a lapse.