“Excellent hotel everything you could want.”

Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
Ranked #90 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Everything you need in a airport hotel at a really good price. Rooms are big and comfortable. Really happy that they have accessible rooms with choice of bathtub or walk in shower. I wish more hotels did this. Hope to come back here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Second visit this year using the Park Here Package, up to 15 days car parking with this deal, taxi both ways to airport also included, friendly welcome from reception staff, on both our arrivals and our 5.45am departure on morning of our holiday. Room had a very comfy bed, ok fridge could do with being a bit cooler but there is an ice bucket in the cupboard beside tea/coffee tray, to use at the ice machine on 3rd? floor at the lift, so not a problem, bathroom clean, nice soft towels, space for you toiletries also the usual shampoo/ body lotion/shower gel, good shower water spray, (been in worse) good sized t v films to rent if required, décor good, ok perhaps a wee bit of sprucing up In other rooms we have stayed in, just a bit of TLC required. Never used the leisure so can't comment. Restaurant staff always friendly, Callum the drinks server in the evening, such a nice genuine happy young man, chatted away to us, while we ordered our drinks, remembered us on our return from holiday, some of the other restaurant staff remembered us on our return visit to the hotel /or from our holiday, which is always nice when they see a lot of people through their hotel. Breakfast always enjoyable, bacon, sausages haggis, etc and you can request eggs of your choice, poached etc, from a very competent chef, also cereals, fruit juice, cold meats etc something for everyone, no complaints from us there, and we will be back next holiday time, thank you all ;)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dundeetravellermrshc
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I booked this hotel as a short mid-week city break for myself and partner. The quality of this stay I would rate overall as average from a hotel of this type. What let it down was many little things rather than anything that would make you scream in horror.

The hotel seems to be popular with business people (many people sat around in the bar / communal areas with laptops etc. or in groups waving paper around) and for that reason we chose not to eat at the hotel preferring a more relaxed atmosphere. There’s a Frankie and Benny’s a short walk away and if you prefer a cheaper breakfast than available in the hotel, a Morrisons. Further down the Glasgow Road is an excellent Italian (I’d describe it as a walk away – my partner in heels insisted we go four stops on the bus).

Positives:

The hotel is very easy to get to from the Ring road even in rush hour traffic and there’s plenty of parking. The Airlink express bus stops right outside and can get you into the city centre within about 20 mins – it may even be quicker but there was lots of road works during our visit due to tramway construction. Failing that there’s a slower (but cheaper) standard bus service (31) for which a day ticket is £3.50. If it’s not the centre you’re travelling to, you can catch a bus to pretty much anywhere in the city from the Gyle shopping centre which is just a short walk around the corner. Our standard double room (on the ground floor) was nicely finished, well cleaned and quiet. The staff I came in contact with (reception and leisure club) were very pleasant and friendly. The hotel has a nice leisure club – I made use of the steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi (although be aware the changing facilities are quite cramped with no individual changing cubicles).

Negatives:

Although the room was well cleaned and maintained I got the feeling things were getting old. The lightbulb in the entrance to the room wasn’t working (not great for the wardrobe), the drinks cooler could barely cool and some fittings were coming loose in the bathroom. Minor details I agree, but combined with woeful hot water pressure in the shower and tea bags not replenished for the second day it did begin to get annoying.

Overall I was happy with this stay as a place to lay my head being out in the city most of the day and night. It was only many minor details in the room which spoilt the stay. The advice of others to upgrade may be worth taking, or I could have just been unlucky?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L0rd_Flash
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had stayed here a few years ago and been less than impressed but because it was convenient for where we needed to be, we stayed again for a weekend in June. Pleased to say that the hotel has improved. Most of the staff were pleasant and professional and the rooms have all been recently renovated. Bog standard Marriott but clean and smart. Bathrooms are tiny though.

The pool area was good fun for the kids and has been well maintained. Only thing I didn't care for was the Starbucks in the reception. Huge overpriced cups of coffee were all that was available. I'm sure that Marriott can do their own coffee of higher quality at a better price.

Location is not great for the city centre. Ideal for the airport or if you are stopping over as it just next to the motorway. Nowhere else to eat around. Popular with cabin crew from the airport and also tour groups.

All in all, we got a good deal including breakfast and have no complaints.

Room Tip: Pay extra for what are called "deluxe" rooms. They are only marginally more expensive but...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Came with my wife, mother, and 2 kids. We were greeted by the bellman who was extremely friendly. He offered to store our bags since we were checking in before noon. But the front desk allowed us an early check in (before noon) which was a pleasant surprise. Offered us breakfast at check in, but we thought we didn't need it.

Got a nice nights sleep after running around seeing the sights. Shower the next morning in the small bathrooms with slightly worn (ragged hems) towels was a bit of surprise. But everything was clean so no real reason to complain. I did not expect breakfast to be buffet only as several family members eat lightly which is why I would normally order al a carte....But the host was kind enough to waive the "children" (my daughter was 16) so the price ended up reasonable. Ran around a bunch more that day and came back and just wanted someone to tell me where to eat. Concierge was kind to call the Spice Kitchen Lounge, make us a reservation, and get them to send a car. Great Meal! Then helped us with directions to the airport the next morning.

Overall, the hotel was showing some wear and tear due to age, but it was still well maintained and clean. Most important to a Hotelier like myself, was that the service was excellent.

Room Tip: I think a second or third floor room far away from the elevators would tend to be a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

THis is a superb hotel and very convenient for Edinburgh Airport.

The rooms were excellent and very spacious. The food was delicious and breakfast outstanding.

To cap all, the airport bus service leaves from outside the front door.

We were completely spoilt.

Room Tip: The rooms here are all good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We chose this hotel because we mistakenly thought as a large chain it would cater for less able people. I had phoned prior to going to make sure that it would have a walk in shower and was told it wouldn't be a problem. On arrival the room only had a shower over a deep bath. My mother was unable to shower at all and I had to ask for a safety mat as my father nearly slipped over trying to have a shower. The whole bathroom was tired looking with stained grouting and chipped and stained wood edgings. The shower itself was very hit & miss as the pin to change it from the bath taps to a shower kept slipping down. On enquiring at the desk I was told that the hotel had 250 rooms but only one room had a walk in shower.
The room itself was clean and beds comfortable.
There was plenty of choice for breakfast but the cooked food left a lot to be desired. Bacon, sausage, beans & black pudding had no taste and had all been on dispay for so long the had dried out. With that and having to wait for 5 minutes for the chef to appear the 1st morning to cook an egg I did without cooked after that. I did notice that it wasn't a one off as everyday people had to stand around waiting for the chef to come out if they wanted cooked eggs.
Dinner was a good standard but over priced for what it was as was the wine for the quality it was.
The only redeeming thing was that the staff were were helpful and friendly and their customer service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family