“Very disappointing customer service”

Edinburgh City Hotel
Ranked #19 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just a note to anyone pre-paying for this hotel. My husband had a heart attack 5 days before we were due to go to the hotel but even in these circumstances they refused to change the date. I didn't want a refund I just wanted to re-arrange for when my husband was better. But there was no budging them. They did say they would try to sell the rooms but apparently were unable to which I find strange considering it was a big rugby weekend. I will never book a hotel that has to be pre-paid again. Everyone's circumstances can change unexpectedly. My overall rating for customer service in this hotel is NIL.

4  Thank julie m
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear julie m,

I sincerely hope your husband makes a full recovery and I am sorry that we were not able to reach the solution that matched your expectations. However, our terms and conditions for an advance purchase reservation are clearly stated at the time of booking, which you accepted. Unfortunately this means abiding by them even in the most difficult circumstances otherwise we lack integrity in offering flexible rates to our other guests without offering them the promotional discount of an advance purchase rate. In order to be fair to all our guests we have to be consistent in how we apply our terms and conditions, and I apologise that this has left you dissatisfied with the outcome. I did explain during your initial phone call that we would do everything we could to re-sell the room, and if we were able to then we would offer a full refund. Given this was a 6 nations rugby weekend, and most customers would have booked their accommodation and travel far in advance, trying to re-sell the room at short notice did not prove successful.

We did our best to help when we received your initial phone call detailing your circumstances and we contacted you following the weekend as we had promised. I hope you are able to use the cancellation invoice you received from us to claim via your travel insurance and enjoy a future trip to Edinburgh.

Kind regards,

David Clancy
manager@edinburghcityhotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Travelled to Edinburgh with a group of friends for a to-be-forgotten Six Nations match. However, the hotel was excellent value in a great central location near Grassmarket and Edinburgh Castle. It is located in a former Victorian maternity hospital which added a bit of quirkiness. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable.
Particular praise is due to David the hotel manager and his staff for resolving some booking problems with the rooms (which were probably of our own making) but which were addressed promptly with good humour, charm and a minimum of fuss.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnBOF
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my fiance for a weekend away to watch a Six Nations rugby match and catch up with some friends. From beginning to end the stay was a delight. Staff were very friendly upon our arrival. Our room was very large and extremely clean with great attention to detail. The bathroom was finished to a great standard and the water pressure/temperature was also great. The customer service is probably the best I have ever experienced in a hotel, especially the Hotel Manager David who was courteous, warm and more importantly available and visible. The staff were even so good as to organise room service when we slept in and missed our breakfast. The breakfast was delicious and just what was needed for a cold day at Murrayfield. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to most major attractions and has a plethora of local bars and shops to peruse. I very rarely take the time to offer reviews of hotels but felt compelled to do so due to the consistent high standard of customer care my fiance and I experienced. I will most certainly be staying here in the future.

1  Thank Barry F
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel is on a really great location, just a couple of minutes walk to Grassmarket area (great for a night out, full of oubs and bars), 10 minute walk to Princess street, has a lovely area with loads of restaurants and pubs and some supermarkets as well. Had a lovely walk up to the castle and the old town, it's all so close. Rooms are exactly what you see when booking, nice and clean. We didn't go for breakfast option though, as there were some other places nearby.
Staff at the reception were very friendly ans helpful too.
Will definitely come back to this hotel.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel. Not only did it fit our budget, but it had good reviews on TA, so we booked it.

ROOMS - clean, modern, spacious. Comfy bed, nice bathroom, no noise from neighbors, and all the amenities you could desire.

HOTEL - The hotel itself looks like a little castle, very Edinburgh-esque. Stone exterior, with a quiet little enclave by the entrance. Staff are super friendly, and the hotel itself was clean and quaint. They had a bar/restaurant area and also served breakfast but we didn't try it; so I can't comment there.

LOCATION - Close to the university and a little off from the centre. But it's a short 5-10 minute walk to stores, the centre, and restaurants galore. There is a supermarket nearby if need be too.

If I ever return to Edinburgh, I will DEFINITELY stay here. Check out the Castle, the Whiskey Tour and a take a trip out to the HIghlands if you can.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Edinburgh City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear KittensFever,

Thank you for posting such wonderful feedback of your recent stay with us. It was great to read how much you enjoyed our hotel and that you had booked to stay with us after reading other reviews on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your recommendation and hopefully we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

David Clancy
manager@edinburghcityhotel.com

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel weekend of the rugby, left cases in hotel at 12 midday, checked in at 11 o,clock at night with no problems at all, room was really large with extra sitting room and absolutely spotless as was the rest of the hotel, staff very pleasant and breakfast really nice, will definately be back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Great location and very close to Princess Street.

Clean and friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Breakfast wasn't great and had to send back - the chef certainly was not on form that morning and didn't appear in restaurant to apologies for quality (or lack of) of cooked breakfast served.

Overall though would definitely recommend and return in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2012