“A M A Z I N G”

Ranked #231 of 2,654 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Vietnam House opened in Edinburgh during 2011 and is Edinburgh's first Vietnamese restaurant. We focus upon providing deliciously healthy and authentically prepared Vietnamese food in an in informal environment that we hope you will enjoy. As a family run business, we care about your dining experience with us and will make your time with us enjoyable. We specialise in the Vietnamese national dish, Pho, which is a simple uncomplicated but tasty and nutritious noodle soup, that can be enjoyed all year round. We also offer other traditional Vietnamese dishes and cook with fresh local produce and authentically sourced spices to give you the "real" taste of Vietnam.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you have never tried Vietnamese food, then this is the place to go to! WONDERFUL! The staff are incredibly friendly and very reasonably priced. Oh and it's BYOB with a £1 corkage. GO!

4  Thank Deenuts

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I had never eaten Vietnamese food before (and were inspired by watching Rick Stein's television series "Far Eastern Odyssey"). I found Pho Vietnam House on Tripadvisor - what a great discovery! My wife had the Goi Cuon (fresh spring rolls) followed by Pho Bo (beef and noodle soup). I had the Cha Gio (fried sping rolls) followed by the traditional beef stew with rice. We then tried the pineapple sorbet and the coconut ice cream. Everything was delicious; it will appeal to anyone who likes Thai food. The freshness of Vietnamese food, with its low fat content and the high percentage of vegetables, is very appealing. The service is extremely pleasant, friendly and efficient; the value for money was excellent. We'll be back! Located at 3 Grove Street, about 5 minutes walk from Haymarket railway station, but the sign outside the restaurant is not very prominent (so make a note of the address).

Reviewed April 22, 2013

First heard about this place about 6 months ago and have tried to book a table quite a few times since (they don't reply to emails and often the phone just rings out). However, on Saturday we finally popped along and weren't disappointed.

It's a charming little restaurant with a very friendly atmosphere and eclectic, brightly coloured decor. The smells hit you as soon as you step through the door and all the food we ordered was delicious: fish cakes to start, braised pork and beef stew mains and coconut ice cream for dessert...and of course two Vietnamese coffees to finish things off. All of it tasted pretty authentic and I really couldn't fault any of it (even the price), but there were a few small things it could improve upon to become a must-go-to place.

Apart from the hassle in booking a table in the first place, I found the menu to be a little on the small side. It's always better to do a few things really well (which it clearly does) than try to deliver loads of options, but the limited choice means that I am not itching to go back again to try more - which is shame. Also the informal service was a little too informal at times and we waited quite a while for plates to be cleared, more orders to be taken and the bill to arrive - a couple of times having to actually go find someone to ask - and it wasn't particularly busy for the first half of our visit.

However I would still highly recommend you try the restaurant out, as it's the only Vietnamese place in town (i think?) and a real gem in the often overlooked West End.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing wee restaurant and so different to other places in Edinburgh, the service was amazing, the waitresses very friendly, we had the fresh spring rolls that had a delicious peanut sauce, the spring rolls well completely different to anything else I have had and they were lovely, we had the pho for our main and was very delicious, was our first time trying Vietnamese food and we'll definitely be back to try some more from the menu :) I must also add our meal came to just over 16 pounds and that was for a two lunches plus drink and we thought that was fantastic!

2  Thank MandyandMarkDuncan
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We like vietnamese food so decided to give this place a try whilst on holiday in Edinburgh, based on the good reviews on here. Whilst it wasn't my fave meal of the trip (That was Shilla, a Korean restaurant), the food here was still very good, tasty and fresh. The restaurant feels like being in someones living room, it's small and has art on the walls which is for sale. As we heard it was small we booked a table and were glad we did. It's a little hard to find if you're a visitor to the city, so look it up first if you are! The menu is small-ish but there are pictures of the dishes, which is good if you're not familiar with the cuisine. Service was friendly but a little slow as the one waitress looks after the whole place. It's nice though that the place is obviously family run, with the waitress and chef running the whole operation!

For starters we had the fried spring rolls as I was a bit dubious of the cold ones, and the hot fried ones were delicious, and very meaty compared to the usual spring rolls I've had. They came with a garlic oil dip which went very well. For mains my partner had beef in soup with rice, and I had the noodles. Although the noodles were good, I'd had similar before and wished I'd been a little more adventurous and tried the caramel braised pork! Next time, maybe. The review which said you can't buy any drinks is incorrect- no alcohol, but you can buy cans of soft drinks- coke, rubicon etc. They also do aloe vera juice which my partner had as he used to drink it growing up in Taiwan- it had bits of jelly floating in it and I thought it was gross! But you could try it for a more authentic eastern experience. I heard that the vietnamese coffee they serve is very good- they put a layer of condensed milk in a mug and set up a coffee filter above it. I didn't have it though because I don't like sweet coffee and it looked like they used a lot of the very sweet condensed milk!

Overall I would definatley like to visit here again as the food was fresh and delicious and there is other things I'd like to try, and the prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank enielle