“Fab as always!”

Mimi's Bakehouse
Ranked #3 of 34 Bakeries in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Montrose
“Fab as always!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently had champagne afternoon tea for my birthday. Have been a few times before for breakfast and take-away cakes and just can't get enough of the place!

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
edinburgh
“Tasty but very very busy”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've been to Mimi's a few times and everytime it is packed. This isn't a bad thing but does mean it takes time to get served, very noisey etc. A few more staff wouldn't go a miss at the weekends quality of food is very good.

• Visited October 2013
scotland
“Finale to friends hen do”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We brunched here for the last of our hen celebrations and I hadn't been before. The food looked amazing, I only had a breakfast roll but it was very tasty and fresh. Following this I opted for a mint slice which was huge (but of course I finished it) and I can only say the other cakes on display looked incredible. One in our group had (if memory serves), Oreo cake (or similar) and the size of it was bordering ridiculous - tho of course one doesn't complain about this! Overall, loved it - it is expensive but I like quality food so happy to pay it

Defo would return

Bridge of Allan, United Kingdom
“Huge cakes; nice if expensive afternoon tea; superb scones”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Mimi's bakehouse has a nice welcoming ambience, with cake-related memorabilia hanging from the walls and baking related posters in the loos. On arrival there was a queue with about 6-8 people in it waiting for a table around 3pm. Fortunately my friend had got there early and was already ensconced. There are tables and chairs and also low level leather sofas from which to enjoy your cake or afternoon tea.

Individual cake portions are on the large size and there is a reasonable selection of 10-15 large slicing cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes and tray-bakes. I opted for a coconut macaroon which was OK although I was disappointed the filling was butter cream rather than freshly whipped cream. I also tried the lemon drizzle cake slice which was a bit too sugary for my taste with a fairly thick topping of lemon water icing. Both were extremely sweet. The peppermint tea was lovely and we were offered a fresh pot too which was a nice touch. This came to £8.60 which I thought was pretty good value, even although I made poor choices for my palate.

My friend had the champagne afternoon tea at £21.95 comprising a pot of tea, a glass of champagne, 6 dainty sandwiches (no crusts) - egg mayo, ham and mustard, smoked salmon; two mini scones - one plain, one fruit served with raspberry jam and clotted cream; and four small cakes - two of the tray bake sort, one a malteser slice, and a thimble sized chocolate cupcake and a small raspberry topped meringue. This must have been good as every morsel disappeared! I helped out by tasting two of the egg mayonnaise sandwiches and against my expectations they were absolutely perfect - soft light bread, lovely creamy filling, just the right ratio, seasoning was spot on.

But the absolute piece de resistance were the mini scones. They were warm as if fresh out of the oven and were as light, delectable and delicious as any scone I've ever had anywhere, including my own homemade ones. So 10/10 for the scones, 9/10 for the sandwiches, 10/10 for the tea, and 5/10 for the cakes.

Our experience of the service was fine - prompt to take the order and to deliver the food, and checked we were happy when we paid and left.

Recommended, most especially for the scones - next time I'd just order a big scone, though be warned they sell out so if you go mid afternoon phone them first to put one aside for you, or go for the cake if you are a real sugar-head.

• Visited November 2013
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Decidely underwhelmed.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I saw the Trip Advisor rating outside so we chose it for breakfast. Beautiful setting but staff were too busy talking among themselves and breakfast, when it came, restauarnt wasn't very busy when we entered, was just warm. I didn't mind this as I eat most food warm but my husband was disappointed as he likes his food piping hot. We didn't complain but if we had been asked if everything was okay, I would have told them!! I might visit again to try one of their cakes as they looked delicious but not for breakfast!

Visited October 2013