“had a great time”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #91 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights. Room was ok maids done a good job with cleaning the room.
Had breakfast delivered to our room both mornings which was good . Bus stop outside hotel with regular buses into the city centre.
Staff were friendly. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank delm0nte

Reviewed August 7, 2008

Stayed here for four nights at the start of Edinburgh Fringe festival. Got a reasonably priced deal, with the hotel being slightly out of the city centre, but it's not too far out.

This hotel is in a nice area of Edinburgh, just about 2 miles from the Royal Mile. Lots of on-site parking and we got a decent sized double room on the fourth floor, with a view of the hills as opposed to the castle. We booked on a "room only" basis and ate out, so can't comment on the restaurant, but the bar area was pleasant enough.

In theory the buses into the centre are regular, but it's such a not a great service on a Sunday (as we discovered). It's not a long walk to Princes St if you have the time for a stroll, and there are some good shops to see along the way if you walk down Comely Bank.

Definitely worth a stay at this hotel if you want a good standard of bedroom but find the central city prices a bit too steep!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ruthL36
Reviewed July 27, 2008

This hotel was located a couple of miles from the main sights of Edinburgh, and in fairness to the hotel, I got it through one of those "bidding" websites which called it "central." Maybe so, but it still required a cab or bus to get anywhere. The response from the people working at reception was usually less than warm, and I stood there for quite a while one morning until the woman deigned to acknolwedge me at all. Can't comment on breakfast, as it was not included in my room rate. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was mediocre. One night of my stay was very noisy with people going up and down the hall talking at the top of their voices. The next night there was a party with loud music going on right below my room in one of the function rooms. When I phoned to complain, I was told there was nothing could be done until the function was over. On the plus side, rooms have all the modern conveniences and comfortable beds.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank voyageur08
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Having spent several pleasant nights here 6 years ago we decided to return for a night to break up a long drive.

I was sorry we did this - I should have taken more notice of it's present Tripadvisor rating which is absolutely spot on! The parking's free and plentiful but the greeting was not. The male reciptionist told me I should be grateful of the rate I was getting (140 pounds B&B) pointing at the rack rates listed on the wall at 240 pounds. I questioned having to pay for a "complimentary" newspaper, given that I was a loyalty club member which advertised the fact.

When we got to the room it was as if we entered a time warp. The room was exactly as it had been 6 years ago. What was once bright and new now was worn and dated. On the positive side the pleasant but distant castle view had not changed.

We later sought help with the name and location of a good Indian restaurant we'd been to - but no - they had no names or ideas of any Indian restaurants in the city, nor were either of the receptionists interested in helping us.

Breakfast was a pretty ordinary affair - half cooked fried eggs and a berry compote which tasted like jam. I couldn't say it was appetising.

Having stayed at 2 Holiday Inns in the last 8 weeks I found that both were in dire need of refurbishment. They also need to train their staff in how to be hospitable.

This hotel is regretably on the way out. If you stay there it would not be worth paying more than 70 pounds per night.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheDoor_isopen
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed in this Holiday Inn for 4 nights, and was quite disappointed.
The rooms were fine and clean, but nothing spectacular. I got an iron brought up to my room, which arrived promptly but when i plugged it in, it blew a fuse in my room!
Breakfast was ok, i had it delivered to my room once, and was delivered on time.
The bar is extremely over-priced, and quite small. I had dinner in the restaurant twice and wasw disappointed both nights. The menu is over priced. I waited 1 1/2 hours for starters on the first night. The staff were pretty unfriendly and was told on first night that as the restaurant was 'busy' ( it wasn't even half full) i would have to go to bar to get myself a drink. Was utterly disappointed, as had been looking forward to the food.
The location is good, pretty close to city centre.
If you are looking for an affordable room ,just for sleeping in (ie not for restaurant etc) then this Holiday Inn would suit.

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank Pookie86
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Just returned from a second 2 night stay, we were here for 2 nights at the same time last year. The Junior Suite is worth the extra money for the space and a very comfortable sofa bed in the lounge are if required. Staff were pleasant, helpful and efficient. Breakfast was plentiful and excellent. The hotel is quiet unlike many city centre hotels. Good value for money and highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weekendwalkers
Reviewed September 15, 2007

Holiday Inn North is approximately 10 minute bus ride from the City centre. It's big advantage for us is that it had carparking which many of the city centre hotels lack. Not the most exciting place to stay; the local area is mostly residential with a supermarket opposite. However, the service was friendly, the breakfast was available until 11 at weekends and was plentiful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple