“Keeps up to Holiday Inn standards. But could do better!”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #87 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Keeps up to Holiday Inn standards. But could do better!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

On the positive side check in was most efficiently done. Special mention of the lady who was most helpful when I came down later to ask about internet connection, saying she would get me complementary access coz I was a loyal client. But at checkout time, it was a different lady who remarked that that should never have been allowed and that she would take it up a a training issue! However she honoured the offer made to me and did not charge me even though I did say that she could, if she wished.

Breakfast was sumptuous and the staff who waited at the tables were very attentive and helpful.

And when I asked if I would have a Bible, one was immediately produced! Thank you.

The Holiday Inn hotels are almost cloned with no scope for variation in lay out and structure, usually. But on this occasion I was struck by the lack of space. Often when I use the Holiday Inn, it is usually when I am travelling alone for work. That may well be the explanation... But this time my wife was there too, making for a very cramped existence. We stayed at this hotel for two nights and there was minimal space for two people to move without colliding, unless you both slide sideways. Being a Gold Priority Club Card member (their loyalty programme), I did ask if I would be upgraded. but I got the standard answer - they were fully booked. That is always so and one wonders if there is any point in loyalty!

Another problem we had relates to the bathroom, which was exceedingly small. The shower actually functioned as a sprinkler at best. The bath towels have shrunk in size and were actually frayed! These deserve attention even if this was only a three star hotel and I hope the management will take cognisance of this review and perhaps fix the things that can be remedied.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear imliooper,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am pleased to read that you found your check in experience efficient and the staff at the breakfast very attentive and helpful. With regards to the wi-fi I am pleased to announce that its now complimentary for our Gold and Platinum IHG Rewards members. I am disappointed to learn that you found our room layout small and the conditions of our towels poor. I will pass on your feedback to the appropriate managers. Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Location right next to the bus stop so easy access to Old Town and New Town. Staff helpful with mapping out bus routes to get where I was going. Food pretty good for a hotel. First night I was in a room next to a crying baby. Staff moved me right away and were empathetic and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Niida
Dear Nilda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

From the website this seemed to be the cheapest holiday inn in Edinburgh, we opted for room only as thought would eat in a nice cafe in Edunburgh. However were actually over 3 miles out, which seems further with 2 young children. It was £5 to get to the outskirts if town on the bus! To add the breakfasts would cost £13 each. Unfortunately a whole coach load of Chinese tourists stood outside our room talking very loudly at 11.30 pm as they were all coming to bed (our room was opposite the lifts). We were then woken before 6am as the same said tourists talking whilst waiting for all the lifts to go back downstairs, they all then participated in a group exercise class on the hotel's lawn. As we were woken up so early walked over to Sainsbury's and found they did breakfast there at a much cheaper price. Not very glamorous but couldn't do a 6 mile trip to town and back!

Worn out at the start if the day, we were then advised would need 2 buses to get to the zoo (found a 30 minute route to walk on my phone which would be quicker than waiting for buses).

Being so far out of town made it difficult with baggage on day of check out as didn't want to carry bags all day until time to get train. (Left them in bus station locker)

Noisy location beside lifts and all traffic passing. Too far from town to really feel staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Lin_dasmit,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I was sorry to read that you felt the location of our hotel was too far from the city centre and that you experienced some disturbance outside your room. If you choose to stay with us again we can allocate you a room away from the lift in a room at the opposite end of the corridor. Thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the service we provide to our guests.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Arrived late on the evening of 9th June to the usual warm welcome. Executive Room assigned was comfortable and clean, so no surprises there. Over the course of the week, all Staff including the General Manager welcomed me back and expressed interest in my welfare, which definitely generates a "feel good" factor.
I always find the quality and variety of food on offer very acceptable, particularly the "eggs on request" approach at Breakfast, whereby they are freshly cooked to taste, plus the practice of laying out small but continually replenished quantities of Buffet items to keep everything fresh. I therefore find it difficult to understand some of the less positive reports I have read and can only assume that variations in taste and opinions is what makes humanity so intriguing.
Staff in Reception, the Bar, the Restaurant and Housekeeping are always most pleasant and obliging and leave me feeling quite privileged. (like home from home, without the nagging - can't believe I said that!).
Location is central for Business, with easy access to the Motorways going West or North, so ideal for me as I travel Scotland extensively.
Bottom line is I always feel most comfortable and welcome at this well managed and friendly Hotel and it will continue to be my No. 1 choice in the area. My thanks to all concerned.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying the extra for a Suite if you like the feel of space and a little extra in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear TerryD,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us when you visit Edinburgh. Thank you for your kind comments and I will pass your feedback on to our team. We will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.

Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,504 helpful votes
Reviewed June 22, 2013

On check in we were greeted with a big smile (tick in box 1) and found check in easy and quick (tick box 2). We were informed we had been upgraded to a mini suite (tick box 3) and we took the lifts (2) and made our way to the room.

Lovely room with some nice views across to the mountains. The air con did not appear to be working so we had to open the windows. No problem until around 02.00 am when there was considerable boisterous noise form the car park below. We believe it was a Holiday Inn staff party and the night porter did try to quieten them down - unsuccessfully.

The 2nd night, peace and quite so another tick in the box 4.

Good bus links to the City Centre, (take exact money as Lothian bus drivers do not offer change) a Sainsbury superstore opposite if needed and so, apart from the late noise, a great experience.

Anthony

Room Tip: On check in, see if any complimentary room upgrades are available. No harm in asking. This hotel wil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith J
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Keith J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to learn that you had an efficient check in experience and that you were greeted with a warm welcome. I was disappointed to read that you had a small issue regarding noise I will pass your comments on and we will investigate the mater. Overall I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Derbyshire, UK.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have used the Holiday Inn brand for many years and been loyal customers to them. However the one night stay with family on Friday has put us off using them again.

We booked in at 2pm to be told our room was not ready so the receptionist found us in a 2 double bedded room with an amazing view of the city(but a very small bathroom for a family of 4.) The room itself was no better than a Holiday Inn Express.

The receptionist was helpful and friendly and we found out how to get into centre by bus.

We had booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate at £130 for the night (pricey but seemed to be the going rate that night.) We booked dinner at 6.30pm and there was only one other party there. We had the set menu which was quite limited in choice so I chose the vegetarian option and my husband chose the chicken kebabs. After the order went to the kitchen I was told what I wanted was not there so as a concession I could eat fish (there were no other vegetarian option or fish option on the set menu.) I was told there was one fish dish I could have so had that. The main for me was fine but my husband got given a meal he hadn't ordered (pork escalopes.) He spoke to the restaurant manager who said that the chicken kebabs weren't available and he wouldn't charge us for that meal and that we were on a DBB deal and was told this wasn't a problem. (There were very few things available on the advertised set menu and a third of the items weren't in stock!) As the rest of the family were eating he felt he had to eat it. The pork escalope was dry and not very pleasant and the vegetables were dried up. At the end of meal we received the bill to find that the childrens two lemondates had been taken off (about £4.) This clearly did not reflect the actual cost of the main meal and my husband took the matter up with the restaurant manager again. We then had a process whereby the restaurant manager kept coming back to our table so we didn't get any family time in pleasant surroundings but having to continually explain what had happened. Initially we were told that the duty manager was not available. I took the children to the room (it was late by now for them.) and he tried to speak to the duty manager who seemed more concerned about his tills not working than customer care. We went to bed upset and wound up.

In the morning we came down for breakfast to the duty manager coming back to start again on what had happened the night before. We were glad to check out in the morning. Clearly not worth the money and an awful experience and will take this matter up with Holiday Inn 'head office.'

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JoWilson
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear JoWilson,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I was pleased to read that you found our receptionist friendly and helpful and you were able to find out some useful information. However I was disappointed to learn that your experience in the restaurant did not meet your expectations and that you felt your situation was not resolved at the time. If you wish to discuss the matter further then please contact me at your earliest convenience at the hotel directly and I will be happy to discuss in more detail with you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the service we provide to our guests.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days on business. Bit out of the centre of Edinburgh so if I was a tourist I would probably want to stay somewhere in the centre of the city. Having said that the room I had was lovely - a suite - although I only booked a standard room. My colleague needed a room with a walk in shower as she has mobility problems and they switched her to a different room immediately. the bathroom are small but adequate and the toiletries are good. The rooms and hotel was clean but the best part was the staff - they were so attentive and helpful and check in and check out was efficient. The hotel also has a library of books you can borrow and if you haven't finished the book when you leave, you can donate £1 to charity and take it home with you.

The breakfast was ok but a pre-cooked buffet which looked as if it had been there for some time so I asked for an omelette or soft boiled eggs to be cooked fresh and they were superb. The dinner menu is quite short so you could well end up eating same food more than once.

I would say good value for money and the helpful staff made the stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite and an inner room if you like quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Mary T,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. I am delighted to read that our staff made your stay enjoyable and that you found our omelettes superb. Thank you for your kind feedback. We hope you will come back and visit the hotel again soon.