“Decent hotel- very average food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #91 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel- very average food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here last week on business. Nice hotel, upgraded to a mini suite which was great. As others have said rooms need heating, air con on warm is ok but ninth cold weather I can see issue.
Ordered room service , sirloin steak which was ok, however like every holiday inn breakfast is always average. Under lights things get bland and cold.
Come on all Holiday Inns -UP YOUR GAME on breakfasts!!

1 Thank Trigger131186487

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent value for money, stayed 6 or seven times and never can I complain (that is unusual for me)

Staff are prepared to help. always good value, food is very good with a good choice, Easy access to the city

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and can't fault this hotel. The car park is free and the hotel is about 2 miles from the city centre. The bus stop is outside but we used taxis - about £8-10. Our room was on the fifth floor and was very spacious with a great view looking over the city and castle. The bathroom was very nice with fluffy white towels and toiletries changed every day. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the receptionist who booked our table at a city centre restaurant. Breakfast was very good with lots of choices and very nice coffee. I would definitely return here and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have great views over the city
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sdmNewcastleUponTyne
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my 2nd time staying here in the last couple of months and I have found the hotel very friendly and welcoming, and the restaurant is very good. Emma sorted out my food order and was unfailingly polite, helpful and friendly throughout, and the food was of a good standard as always. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and restaurant.

1 Thank Iain H
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

stayed here for one night and the hotel is fine and has its own free car park and is generally a good standard, though bits do look a little tired.
My room was right outside the lifts and i was a bit worried but no exessive noise here. A little noisy from the main road outside but this side also has the view of Edinburgh.
Evening meal was dissapointing for HI stds, quite a few options 'off' and what was left was ok but not brilliant, seemed a little understaffed at dinner and breakfast, had to ask 3 times for coffee, but staff ok.
Reception very helpful with telling me which bus to get into town - stop outside front door

Room Tip: Rooms on road side are a little noisy, if you want a long lie try room to back. If you want the vie...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear traveller123456277 ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that our location suited your needs. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have stayed here a few times now while visiting Scotland on business and have never yet been disappointed by the hotel. Yes, there have been a couple of times when things have not gone well in the restaurant but both times it was resolved quickly, with a minimum of fuss, and a very positive attitude by an excellent manager.
I have always been lucky enough to get an upgrade to a mini suite which is great as you get a lot more room which is important when you are there for a few days.
The hotel is small enough to be cosy and I have always found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. In my experience you get good treatment if you respect the staff and that is certainly so here.
If there is a downside it is that there is very little in the immediate area of interest so you do need to get out and about, but if you are just wanting a base from which to tour or somewhere quiet and comfortable for a business trip then you shouldn't be disappointed.
I have put average for sleep quality simply because the hotel is quite high up and exposed and a coupel of times the wind noise has been so bad that sleep has been difficult.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed in one of the suites. It was clean and warm and all the facillities worked. No complaints there.
I had a meal in the evening in the restaurant. The food was well cooked and hot and the service was very good too. The staff ensured I had everything without being over fussy and were professional.
At breakfast however, the service was the opposite. I was shown to a dirty table(someone had recently left the table fter their breakfast) and the used cups and plates were still on the table. There were other tables available. I was assured by the time I returned from the buffet, the table would be cleaned. It wasn't. I had to ask for it to be cleaned. Not impresed.
It was a pity really as the evening staff had been so attentative.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Owl-on-Acid,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I was delighted to read your review and your very kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel and the facilities that we have to offer.

I apologize for the poor expereince and service issues you have encountered in our breakfast area. Nonetheless, it was real pleasure to learn that your stay with us was such a pleasant one. Your opinion, as every single guest, is very important to us and serves us as an advise, reward and motivation for the future.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. With this in mind, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M