Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Excellent 5/5
$860
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$148
$136
$129
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$230
$125
Agoda.com
$145
  • Pool
Travelodge Edinburgh Central(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$82
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
$223
TripAdvisor
Excellent 5/5
  • Room Service
All reviewsmini suitequeensferry roadretail parktwo double bedsupgraded to a suitefifth floorgood sizefree wifiminute bus ridebus servicean upgradereception stafftwo night staystayed here for one nightbreakfast was excellentfamily roomhaggis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I arrived on Saturday to have some me time. I closed the door of my room and resurfaced on Monday morning. I have recently suffered a bereavement and I needed this time alone to recharge. Staff were very freindly and helpful. They did not know my situation but nothing was too much for them. A very big thank you to Louise Murphy for organising my weekend. 5 stars for everything. Thanks; Georgina Morrison.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Ingebor
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and it did win the worst Holiday Inn award some years ago, which is my personal award. I had read some recent reviews which filled me with trepidation, but on arrival was met by Rachel, the receptionist and all my doubts were blown away. What a great welcome, immediately recognised as a Platinum member and told I was upgraded to a suite, and was then given more little treats which made it all worth while checking in here. My colleague also a Platinum member has complained that he never gets an upgrade, and he was awarded the same treatment. The bar and restaurant staff were very friendly, and the food was good.

The Suite I was allocated was on the non castle side but was bright, clean and huge, very comfortable. As we left I had a brief chat with the General Manager and made him aware of the warmth of our welcome, and said we would probably be back,

Room Tip: The non castle view rooms are bright in the afternoon
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We had booked the Holiday Inn Edinburgh City-West for an overnight stay on the way from Chester to Inverness. We were expecting the usual travel hotel type of experience but were pleasantly surprised.
We were greeted by a very cheery receptionist who dealt with our registration quickly and efficiently. We requested a quiet room and this is what we were allocated. Our room on the 5th floor was clean, spacious and well equiped. The views of the city, the castle, Arthur's Seat and Leith were spectacular. After an evening in town we had a good nights sleep in the comfortable bed.
The breakfast was one of the best that we have had in this type of hotel. One is greeted and seated by a waitress who then brings tea or coffee and, when appropriate, the eggs you have ordered to go with your cooked breakfast. There is a large range of cereals and fruits, an extensive range of cooked items to go with your eggs plus, a toaster that actually works. All in all breakfast is a very enjoyable experience.

When we checked out it was the same receptionist, with the same warm smile, who chatted with us and processed our account. I get the feeling that this is a very well run hotel.

I should add that the hotel is on a main bus route and, for the fitter amongst us, within reasonable walking distance of Princes Street.

When in Edinburgh again we will certainly be staying at this Holiday Inn where they treat you as a person, not as a room number.

Room Tip: Go for a Castle View room on the 5th or 6th floor. Quiet with great views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were on holiday with a small child and while we really don't mind walking or the fifteen minute bus ride as long as the rest of the hotel was nice, but not even close!!

We just arrived from Dublin we're they couldn't give you enough free internet. I'm not expecting free everywhere, but 16 pounds a day!? This is a holiday inn not a Sheraton, Ramada, or Hilton...

The location is great as it is right next to the bus stop and its only 15 minutes to downtown.

I don't know where the other reviewers were staying, but our room was tiny and NO other basic amenity such as a fridge, safe, iron or GYM.

Go somewhere else!!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Fele414
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Fele414,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm pleased our convenient location suited you well. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room and the internet usage charge. I have taken note of your comments. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest services. We do hope that you give us another chance to prove how great our hotel is.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Holiday Inn City-West is placed slightly out of town, which is handy, if you are arriving from a westernly direction and are looking to spend time at that end (National Gallery of Scotland, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art 1/2, Edinburgh Zoo, one of the hospitals, Murrayfield Stadium, west end office locations etc.) Also the inner city is reachable, although not exactly next door. Taking the car or a bus is probably called for.
The rooms are not huge but clean and comfortable, and the view is nice. We managed to get two adults and two kids (2 and 4 yrs old) into one double double-bed room. The staff took the initiative to add towels accordingly without having to be asked. The bathroom design is a bit utilitarian and not that great, but it works with a decent shower-bath combination. The grounds have a playground just outside the restaurant (if you have children, you will know the benefit), and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant has a nice selection for breakfast buffet and a decent, if not excessively exciting dinner a-la-carte service with a set menu option.
Two interesting bits, we had booked a package incl. dinner and breakfast, which was nice while very affordable, and if you plan to stay there longer, there is a shopping mall with a big Sainsbury's right across the street, which would make normal grocery (or whatever else you would need normally) very easy and convenient.

Room Tip: The two double-bed room worked well for us as a family with small children.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family