“A slightly below average Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #91 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A slightly below average Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stay here a couple of times a year and are noticing that standards are starting to slip.
Its a typical Holiday Inn which provides predicable accomodation and service.
On this visit, however, our room had not been cleaned when we returned at 10 pm. The Front of House was manned by a prter who contacted the duty manager. His response was to contact housekeeping. 30 minutes later I was unhappy to discover that Housekeeping had not been located. The old style hall Porter showed initiative and went to service the room him self - jusitfiable dismayed by the lack of attention to customer service offered by the duty manager - who was more interested in sitting down doing his accounts whist watching his exhausted guests being let down.
Full marks to the Hall Porter - a wake up call to Holiday Inns/Intercontinetal to hire staff at management level with a customer service attitude.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

To say that finding myself spending a night in here a surprise is a gross understatement. But here I was with almost 200 other shell shocked victims after Continental flight 109 failed to leave the ground owing to the inevitable technical problem. New York, no go, Edinburgh once more.
The fact that Holiday Inn was able to cope with such a large and unexpected volume of guests at such short notice doesn’t do it any credit.
Perhaps because it was a Sunday night that so many of the rooms were available!
The check in desk were doing an admirable job allocating so many people. I was among the stragglers in the process but did have to wait a while and perhaps another body on the front desk would have aided the cause.
Can’t really fault the room, it had a double bed, single bed and a settee to accommodate weary travellers, but on this occasion twas just me. It felt a bit like a Premier Inn but HI has devised a marketing strategy that will surely ensure world domination. You can have your pillows soft or firm!! Wow!! For the record I opted for firm!
As Continental were picking up the tab for dinner bed and breakfast I'm not sure I saw the food at its best! The Continental 200 were treated to a buffet of very limited selection and if the was HI trying to create a favourable impression they blew it big time. The food was bland and tasteless. And in the case of the vegetables, overcooked.
I assume HI must have an arrangement with the airlines to accommodate so many at such short notice. My suggestion to them would be to embrace these sudden and unexpected visitations as a marketing opportunity. I am not in the habit of staying at their premises and that line of thinking has not changed!
My sleep was fragmented as I knew I was getting up for an early morning flight but the bed and firm pillows did their job The bathroom almost got 100% for being spotlessly clean but there was one stray dark hair on the bathtub, not mine!
The low point of the trip was actually using the kettle in the room to make a cup of tea. It was revolting, disgusting, and dirty. Nice TV manky kettle. Time to replace it HI!
I had awoken very early, with the hotels location next to a Zoo it was as if I was waking up in the jungle!
And so to breakfast.
This didn’t start till 0630 and I went down at 0600. Described as a "Continental" breakfast, it probably explains why I had the restaurant to myself! Don’t mention the C word after the traumas that led me to be there! Had a bowl of cereal and orange juice (passed my world famous test) and cup of tea out of a pot that would fail health and safety requirements as water poured from top rather than spout.
Overall my stay was a pretty bland experience. Nothing to rave about nothing to get wildly emotional Over
To conclude the hotel does exactly what you would expect a Holiday Inn to do.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Blueangels
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Checked in for 1 night, recognised my Platinum reward status and received an upgrade to a suite which was appreciated and a free drink from the bar.

The suite consisted of a front room with sofa, chair, desk, table, tv etc and bedroom with double bed tv etc. Someone had polished off half of the complimentary water before I got there but no big deal.

The air con was out whilst I was there for the whole of the 6th floor but front desk were quick to bring a fan to my room and the windows opened so not much of a problem.

Room service was quick to bring meals and the quality is good, check in and out easy.

Location wise you can walk to the West End of Edinburgh easily from the hotel, the EICC is about 5 mins in a cab and about £15 in a taxi from the airport gets you to the hotel. Retail park opposite with a sainsburys etc.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Corstorphine regularly and actually prefer Edinburgh City West for recognising me and providing a decent service, there is no swimming pool etc but decent service and a comfie bed they do well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sal_UKUk
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Rooms are just what you would expect from the holiday inn, as was the breakfast and service. We used this hotel for going to an event at Murrayfield and it was literally a 10 minute walk away, really handy. The only thing I would say is that we booked this hotel about 6 months in advance and it still cost us just under £90, not great value.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank pam_lou
Wakefield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed at the zoo Holiday Inn on our trip round Scotland on the first night and no problems, in fact a good night.
On return journey booked this hotel for the Thursday and Friday nights. Craig the receptionist was very pleasant and helpful. As they were out of standard rooms we were upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor. Our luck was in. Or so we thought.
The Nestle Cheerio on the carpet was an indicator. The security safe in the cupboard did not work and had 'Service' lit up. The two holes in the bathroom floor where you could see the room below's lights was not nice. Made a cup of tea and the following day the dirty cup and spoon were still sat on the tray. And the Cheerio was still there. The bath was not rinsed or wiped out nor was the sink. Despite hanging the towels back up to save energy etc., they were replaced regardless. Hopeless room cleaning.
Thursday being a weekday the hotel was full of so-called businessmen who seemed intent on downing as many drinks as possible. Friday morning at 5am we were awoken by one of them banging on a door on our corridor, BANG BANG BANG, 'wake up, wake up' which did not amuse us one bit. We went to breakfast at 9am to allow these people to leave and found it to be okay.
Friday night and no businessmen, thank God. Much quieter and pleasant. We went to breakfast around 8.30ish and what a disaster. Virtually no staff, no manager visible, tables choked with dirty plates, cups and leftover food. The young girl booked us in and showed us a table. The milk jug was almost empty with a dirty teaspoon on the saucer beside it. The girl simply filled the jug! She took our order and I asked for porridge. She expressed surprise even though I had it the previous day but wrote it down. We waited for our tea and coffee. We watched as other guests rummaged around the tables looking for clean cutlery etc. Still no sign of staff.
Tea and coffee were brought by a young girl who was pleasant and immediately noticed the dirty milk jug and replaced it. I waited for my porridge but the coffee was so poor my partner thought it was tea. We then noticed the restaurant manager clearing the tables which were now overflowing with rubbish and dirty plates. We asked for a fresh coffee jug and a few minutes later it came and tasted exactly the same! Undrinkable. still no sign of porridge after a good 10 minutes so asked again. Once more the same lady was surprised about the porridge and went into the kitchen. The porridge was duly served and was cold. Presumably it had been sat in the kitchen for the last 10 minutes.
When the young girl brought the second coffee jug she spilt hot tea on her arm. We wanted to help but she declined although in obvious pain. We had had enough of this shambles by now and at £130 per night, very very unimpressed.
The duty manager was a waste of time. His only offer was to remove the cost of the breakfast but that was no good as we were still hungry and now had to go elsewhere to get it!
We have stayed at the zoo hotel on previous visits to Edinburgh and at £97 is cheaper too and it has a pool. This hotel is obviously geared at businessmen so holidaymakers and tourists are an inconvenience. Holiday Inn management should use this hotel for the drink fuelled businessmen and the zoo hotel for holidaymakers.
Take our advice. GIVE IT A MISS.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WakefieldYorkie
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Stayed here for one night for a Concert being held at Murrayfield Stadium within a short distance . Very nice Hotel , staff very friendly from the Reception to the Bar and Dining rooms . Had a wonderful view of the City from the 6th floor . Beds very comfortable although the walls seem to be paper thin ( annoying guests in the next room ) . Overall an enjoyable short stay and would definately use this Hotel again !!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank craigmordue
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Brilliant views from the upper floors.
Room with double bed are a good size.
High quality TV.
Annoying pay-as-you-go internet service.
Odd, awkward bathroom layout.
Several corridor ice machines out of order on more than one occassion.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor to enjoy great views.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business