“I did not go at a best time” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
City Sightseeing Edinburgh Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 379 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Arthur's Seat is one of four hill forts, dating from around 2,000 years ago. Situated within Holyrood Park, as well as it's rich cultural heritage, the park offers walks, solace, wildlife, volcanic geology and unparalleled vistas of the city from its many vantage points. The park has several Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) designations due to its exceptional range of grassland habitats and its internationally important volcanic geology. Ranger service on site.
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“I did not go at a best time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Unfortunately, I have only 3 days in Edinburgh and all of them were cloudy. I walked up the seat from 3pm and it was only a short walk. The view is superb but, if the cloud is a lot thinner, it would have been perfect. The Edinburgh castle would be in the foreground of a sunset and this would have given me the best picture of the trip. I will have to come back another time for it.

1 Thank Tcicccec

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Well worth the time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

The view from atop Arthur's Seat was well worth the time and effort it took to climb it. Not too strenuous, although we were warned that we would feel sore after- we didn't... but we are relatively active people. A fabulous photo op.

1 Thank JandKPreston
Dundee, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great sights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Busy place with great views, nice to stop and admire the views over Edinburgh, can be quite chilly at the top when the wind is blowing

Liverpool, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Put strong boots on”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The view from the top is terrific.
Make sure you have some stout boots on; get well wrapped up if it's cold.
I got some advice about going up from a hotel concierge. I'd asked if I needed my walking boots.
He said stout shoes would be sufficient and that a
tarmac path would take me most of the way up. Wrong!
It was a freezing, bright day,so I had about 4 layers on. Most welcome when I got to the top.
If you approach from the town side it's a steady gradient up, but the tarmac path peters out after about 400 yds. The remaining part of this path is narrow and was almost like a stream due to the weather conditions - it seemed to be melting snow from above. Paths then make their way along the side and up,some with rugged stone steps. When you get close to the top you have to scramble over rough rocky ground upto the 2 cairns on the top.
It was also icy up there at the time.
I'm 63 and reasonably fit, but I had to take a couple of 5 minute rests on the way up. From the North Bridge end of Princes Street it took me 1hr 15mins to get to the top, starting the climb near Holyrood Palace.
I felt a bit of a wimp at times as a couple of runners
passed me in shorts and singlet with rucksacks on their backs - in trainers. Other people who were walking didn't seem to have the correct attire on too.
As I didn't fancy coming down the way I went, I discovered you could make the decent easier by walking down a mainly grassy slope at the rear of
the Seat. This took me to a road with a small car park, and had taken me just over 5 mins to get to it from the top. If I'd known, I'd have come up in the car and walked the rest! This road,I was told, goes around the Seat,so either left or right would eventually bring you back at the Palace.
It was certainly a bracing yomp. I liked the fact you could make it easy or hard, and you don't have to go all the way to the top if you don't want to. There are odd paths that branch off. Trouble with me is, if I set out to get to the top I've got to do it! My only dislike was the conditions. If I'd had my hiking boots on I'd have felt much better. I think you need them even in summer, just to offer ankle support, and a walking stick wouldn't be a bad idea either.

2 Thank rapton
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Love it here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place is brilliant !! Not for the faint hearted or unfit, really challenging to get to top but once you are up there it is worth it, really beautiful sights, it is windy though so make sure you in right clothing as can be a bit chilly, wear the right shoes also makes the climb a lot easier. Arthur seat is a great place to come even if your not climbing up, just to even see the swans and even roll your Easter eggs down, lots fun here.

Visited February 2013