“very good vantage point on a clear day and its free what more do you want.”
Review of Arthur's Seat

and up
Harry Potter Tour Edinburgh
Ranked #1 of 396 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Arthur's Seat is one of four hill forts, dating from around 2,000 years ago. Situated within Holyrood Park, as well as it's rich cultural heritage, the park offers walks, solace, wildlife, volcanic geology and unparalleled vistas of the city from its many vantage points. The park has several Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) designations due to its exceptional range of grassland habitats and its internationally important volcanic geology. Ranger service on site.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Went up Arthur's seat after going to the castle and had time to kill before getting train back to Leeds.Very nice views.Would advise sensible shoes as quite steep paths may be tricky when wet.Not well signposted paths got up there easy enough coming down went whrong way ended up going down a very risky i think unauthorised route.Needs signs near top indicating ways down and fences stopping you going where you shouldn't.

Write a ReviewReviews (18,607)
All reviews
in 149 reviews
"royal mile"
in 397 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My favorite part of our Edinburgh experience! Starting by the discovery center (near the Scottish parliament) and climbing to the very top took us about an hour. Not a hard walk if you take breaks. It also might be worth checking out other ways up--the way we took down was much less steep than the way we took up! I wouldn't go if it's raining or has rained a lot recently, because it was a bit precarious getting up with the grass a little wet and the paths a bit muddy, so be careful and watch your step. If it's nice, though, the walk is wonderful and the view at the top is INCREDIBLE and very, very worth it. You've got to do this if you go to Edinburgh--it's free, it's available for all ages, and it's BEAUTIFUL.

We brought Tesco sandwiches with us and ate at the top, which was a nice break. Make sure you bring some water as it's a bit of an exertion if you're going all the way up! Would be great for kids with lots of energy and pets, too.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Great views. Challenging walk depending on the route you choose. Good views over this part of Scotland including Ben Lawers sixty miles away.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

From Arthur's Seat you have an amazing view over the city of Edinburgh, the sea and the hills/mountains near Edinburgh. From this large hill near the city you can have a short view at a lot of things Scotland has to offer.

1  Thank GuidoNoorlander
See more reviews
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We did not have this hike on the trip plan but saw all the hikers while visiting the Palace of Holyroodhouse and decided to make the climb. Since we were with our 74 year old in-laws we decided to take a taxi part way up. I read in a guide book that a taxi could take you most of the way up but this was not true. The in-laws only made it about 100 yards before they decided to go back and asked my wife to walk them back to the Palace. The rest of us (my brother and sister in-law and myself), made the hike to the top and were rewarded with fantastic views. The weather was great and the paths were very dry. The last part of the hike is very steep so I’m sure the hike would be much harder (slicker) in the rain.

It is amazing how quickly you forget you are in the city as it feels like you are way out in the country (the city feels like it is 20 miles away). You cannot see the city after the first small hill and there is not that many people climbing the hill. While the paths were not crowded I was amazed at how crowded it was at the top. We stayed at the top for about 25 minutes taking photos and enjoying the awesome views. On the way down you could feel a strain on a completely different set of muscles than on the way up (my legs were a little sore later that day). On the way down we passed a few joggers that ran past us. I was amazed that they did not twist an ankle jogging on the loose gravel and rocks.

I recommend the hike if you are reasonably fit and are wearing good shoes. I did this hike on my birthday and I will always remember what I did on that day.

2  Thank rockyjoe