“a lovely stay”

Ranked #14 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Trieste, Italy
“a lovely stay”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Kildonan for five nights in January travelling with our four months old baby. We found all needed comforts and facilties for him (small bath tub, changing mat, cot, highchair,...). Breakfast selection and quality are great, the hotel staff is nice and helpful. The hotel is a small historic building (don't expect a moden style reception, nor search for an elevetor since it can't find place easily in this kind of building) placed at 15 minutes by direct bus from the Royal Mile. This is my second time here, I'll surely stay here if I travel to Edinburgh again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marco M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

this small hotel is a wee gem - it is warm, friendly and cosy and near the bus stop for the city - the staff are absolutely lovely and the whole ambience is very relaxed - it has a country house sort of feel about it. The lounge in the main building has a fire (coal effect gas - very nice) - sofas, newsaper and an honesty bar to which you help yourself and just note what you have taken. the annex has another more modern lounge with TV and computer/printer access. If you are looking for a big hotel with pool etc then this is not your sort of place but if you are looking for the personal touch in a smaller establishment then this is for you. the rooms are all different and you can have a four poster bed if you want !

I was at a private party and we had a set meal so i can't say what the a la carte menu was like. the food at the pary was quality straighforward cooking with and excellent steak pie and superb cakes. The wine served by the hotel was very nice - e.g a particularly high quality Prosecco. People who stayed over told me the breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: ask about the different styles of room - some are more modern, some traditional
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ellwood2
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have stayed here regularly and we keep coming back for the comfortable rooms and friendly welcome. The pleasant residents' lounge and excellent breakfast are added bonuses. And don't be put off by the distance from the city centre, it's actually easier to get on the buses slightly further out and it doesn't take long to travel in. Within its price bracker this must be one of the best value hotels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a very nice hotel with a country house feel about it,it is good value for money and the food may be limited but of an exellent quality, eating in a relaxed warm dining room.Loved the cosy lounge and little help yourself courtesy bar.The staff here really go the extra mile and are a credit to the owners.If I have to have a niggle is that the windows in the bedroom did not open and I would say it could get a bit hot in the summer,and a chain or do not disturb sign would have been welcome!Maybe a face lift on the funishings in my room would be an idea in the not to distance future.
The position of this hotel is great for the city,walk (as I did) or get the bus, this service is the best I have known the buses are very frequent and cheap £1.40 to get into the city,or around £3.20 for a day ticket that lets you go further afield in the city or pop out to eat in the evening.
I arrived with my partner who stayed one night and then left for an appointment for a couple of days I felt safe on my own here so could recommend this hotel if you are visiting Edinburgh alone.Over all this hotel met my expectations and more.

Room Tip: Have the best room you can get.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosalyn B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

With a warm welcome aided by the complimentary sherry this hotel offers the perfect base for an Edinburgh city break Situated on the main bus route and only 10 min to the city centre. Bonus was being able to park the car for free in the hotel car park for the whole stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki - Finland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and myself spent three nights at Kildonen Lodge Hotel with a group of friends in September. We found the hotel through recommendations in TripAdvisor.

We really enjoyed our stay, but we also had some minor bumps on the road regarding our visit.

The hotel is located about 30 minutes from the Edinburgh Airport and the ride (for 8 people) cost us approximately 30 pounds. The hotel staff kindly recommended a taxi service (Capitol Cars) and we were pleased with their service.

Kildonen Lodge itself consists of two buildings and we stayed on the newer one in the back. Our rooms were cozy, clean and quiet. However, some of us had problems with bathroom doors not closing, toilets not working properly or heating not functioning in a more "Scandinavian accuracy", but the general atmosphere was very pleasant.

The wireless interenet did not work during most of our stay (guests in both houses noticed this) and to my disappointment I was given wrong information regarding availability of open restaurants due our late arrival (after 22:00 hrs). I specifically expressed my concern over this, and the information that was delivered to us by the hotel staff was incorrect.

But, these are minor issues.

The hotel itself is literally within a walking distance from the downtown Edinburgh (approximately 45 minutes of pleasant city walk), plenty of buses go right by the hotel which all give you a great and easy access to the city - but the buses do not give you a change back, so you need to have coins available. There are also taxis available by calling or just hailing one from the street. We did both and had no problems getting rides.

The atmosphere at the Kildonen Lodge is very relaxed, the breakfast (included) is a nice one and the staff do make their best to ensure that you enjoy the morning.

Also, the "Honesty Bar" in the main building is great. Self-service and payment system that relies upon your honesty. No personnel at the bar.

In the nearby blocks, there are number of pubs and restaurants (easy 10 minutes walk), which we used and enjoyed greatly. Cafe Cassis was the absolute top, another review on the way soon.

Our group enjoyed the stay, we also enjoyed the walks into and from the downtown, rooms were pleasant and the staff were helpful. From my perspective the stay was refreshing compared to the global hotel chains I usually end up using.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Totti K
Leicester
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had another lovely stay at the lodge, the hotel staff are friendly and the sherry is lovely. Best of all they let my partner stay for free. One small draw back was how long it took me to log onto the wifi (there are three different ones you can use) - but we figured it out in the end. Will definitely be back next year- thanks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business