“Comments on a recent visit to Bond no.9 leith edinburgh”
Review of Bond no 9 - CLOSED

Bond no 9
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dram awards Gastro pub of the year 2012, Bronze award winner.This Bar and Restaurant prides itself on fresh, quality produce served in a relaxed bar/bistro environment. You can choose to either eat in the raised dining area or go for a more relaxed dining experience at one of the poseur tables in the centre of the bar, or the comfortable sofas in both the alcove and conservatory areas.The bar itself is a converted whisky bond, and still features the original wooden beams. Lending itself to a relaxed intimate atmosphere with live music and DJs across Thursday to Saturday.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Booked a table for 1pm 10t h July 2014. Due to good weather decided to eat outside. Menu seemed to cover lightish bites only. I ordered fish and chips, my lady companion ordered beefburger which came with salad. Service seemed a bit on the slow side and only seemed to be one waiter operating. Meal eventually came, looked good, my fish was ok but the beefburger when cut had a high level of pink meat inside. We called the waiter to point this out he said it was cooked to the correct temperature. Now I accept that steak can be pink, running to red colour and still be acceptable but not convinced that a minced burger this colour is safe. Anyhow, he brought another one which still had a reasonable amount of pink mince in the centre. The outer portion was eaten and the remainder left. We had two desserts which were good along with two white coffees which were warmish.! (Definitely not hot). We were asked if everything was ok and we said yes! Why you ask. Because we are British and don't want to cause a fuss. Without asking , the waiter did not charge for the beefburger or coffees. We left a small tip! Perhaps trip advisor can advise on what the standards are when cooking beefburgers because to me this looked unsafe. Anyhow, I was totally embarrassed at having brought a lady to lunch to this establishment and would not want to waste time returning to see if they improve. I will stick to where I feel safe and that is the George street area.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is a great pub with hard working staff but beware of the food
We ordered 3 plates of chips ( French fries) at £3.95 a portion. Each portion had between 12 and 14 chips. They are having a laugh. Disgraceful rip off.

2  Thank Jim M
BondNo9, Owner at Bond no 9, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid it appears there has been a mistake here on our part.

Firstly our fries are not £3.95 a portion, and you appear to have been charged incorrectly. Secondly the portion size you describe sounds substantially less than what it usually, and should, be.

If I could ask you to contact me at the bar I will happily refund the money for these fries.

Sorry for the mistake, in these situations if you are not happy with what you have received we would encourage you to let our staff know, as generally issues or errors can be rectified straight away.

I am glad to see that you like the bar in general, and sorry to see that this error has led you to leave us a very poor review on Tripadvisor, I hope it does not discourage you from visiting again.

Chris Flint

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Arriving for a Sunday lunchtime with a dog, buggy and small child we feared the worst; used to places that advertise as dog and child friendly but, in reality, are begrudging at best, we were extremely impressed. From the genuine apology that we would have to sit in one of the, numerous and comfortable, non - restaurant areas because of the dog, to offering a bowl for the said dog and anything to make our son's meal easier we really got the feeling that the customer is king and that we were the Kings and Queens amongst them.

The food and service were prompt and when there was a slight miscommunication between waiter and kitchen about allergies in our group they were swiftly and cheerfully rectified. We were bowled over by the sincerity of both waiters and even tried to turn down at least part of the discount they offered for the minimal inconvenience caused by the mistake.

The food seems a bit of an after thought in this review but it too was fantastic. Beautifully prepared and packed with flavour, we chose 4 of the lite bites from the menu, the Scottish burger (freshly made) and the chicken burger.

Well worth a visit and we will definitely be returning when we are next in the Leith/Edinburgh area.

1  Thank Huw B
Reviewed June 28, 2014

i have lived near bond no9 for about 6 months now. I make a point to pop in every month for both drinks and food. The food is always good as is the the service, but the drinks are the star of the show keep it up please as i love it here. :)

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Went for lunch recently. The restaurant was hardly busy and yet the wait for pretty-well everything was far too long, from getting a table to receiving the menu to then getting the meal itself. The meal was lovely, being well cooked and presented and reasonable.