“Fabby Food!!!”
Review of Bond no 9 - CLOSED

Bond no 9
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dram awards Gastro pub of the year 2012, Bronze award winner.This Bar and Restaurant prides itself on fresh, quality produce served in a relaxed bar/bistro environment. You can choose to either eat in the raised dining area or go for a more relaxed dining experience at one of the poseur tables in the centre of the bar, or the comfortable sofas in both the alcove and conservatory areas.The bar itself is a converted whisky bond, and still features the original wooden beams. Lending itself to a relaxed intimate atmosphere with live music and DJs across Thursday to Saturday.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just back from a visit to Bond No 9 using a Itison voucher and it's highly recommended. The food was very good, original and great taste. Friendly helpful staff make it a great place for a night out/meal

1  Thank John R

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We came on a Wednesday eve,booked a table- 7.15. Staff were attentive, relaxed, pleasant and really good at creating a sense of ambience and relaxation. All courses were fantastic and the risotto was unbelievable. My fiancée and I thought the entire evening was beautiful and can quite honestly say that on our three week road trip around Scotland (and we've eaten in some extravagant places) this place was the best. Good work.

1  Thank Edwardrouge
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went here on a Monday night with an ITISON voucher.
Immediate impressions as you walk through the door is that the place is very dark & no customers @ all. However, once our eyes had adjusted to the low level lighting, we really liked the cosy feel of the place, & as time went on, more customers came in.
Firstly the welcome & service we received was excellent. We can't praise the staff highly enough. Just lovely.
The ITISON voucher entitled us to 2 courses each. The pulled pork starter wasn't available, so my husband chose chorizo cooked in cider & I chose the king prawn tom yum udon noodle broth. Both arrived in good time & both were absolutely delicious. The portions did look on the small side, but were actually a lot more substantial than they looked & full of flavour. ( The starters would've cost £10.75 without the voucher. )
Main course I chose the pork loin marinated in soy & ginger with sweet potato mash, courgette cups filled with tomato & coriander salsa. My husband had pan seared loch etive trout with sautéed potatoes, spinach, olive & tomato salad. Both were absolutely gorgeous. Again, the portions looked on the small side, but they were of high quality & mouthwateringly good. ( Mains would've cost £22.90 without the voucher. )
We enjoyed our meal, the service & ambiance ( great Motown tunes playing in the background ) so much that we decided to pay extra for the desserts. I had rum & Armagnac creme brûlée with homemade shortbread. My husband had the chefs choice wedge of cheese ( dunsyre blue ) with onion jam, fruit & warm breads. Both were sizeable portions & again absolutely fantastic. However, these cost £11.00 in total.
We also ordered cocktails from an extensive menu ( took us several minutes to read! ), both costing £8.50, but were of high quality. My husband said that his vodka martini bone dry was one of the best he's ever had, especially given the choice of 20 vodkas! The cocktails did take quite a long time to arrive, so glad we ordered food first whilst perusing the cocktail menu.
I have to say we were both incredibly impressed with this bar/restaurant. If you want a quiet, cosy place to go @ the beginning of the week with excellent food, cocktails & service, then this is the place for you. It is incredibly busy @ the weekend however & they have a very loud DJ playing from 9.00 p.m; so if you enjoy a lively atmosphere, then we would say to visit then.
If we hadn't had the ITISON voucher the meal & 2 cocktails would've cost £61.65 in total for 2 people. Glad we had the voucher, but would definitely come back when feeling flush, as everything we had was excellent.
Oh & so nice to get a carafe of water with ice & cucumber for the table without asking!
Lovely outdoor & indoor seating areas. Highly recommended.
( Please note that there are a few steps around that aren't highlighted, so with the low level lighting, this is tricky for those of us that need good lighting to see! Also not sure where the disabled access is - round the back of the building? )

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our first impression was that it was very subdued in lighting - but once our eyes had adjusted to the environment it was fine, in fact quite pleasant.

We received a friendly welcome from the waiting staff (who were excellent throughout!), though shown to a table near to but not by a window as requested when we booked. But it was fine.

For starters my girlfriend ordered the prawn noodle soup which she really enjoyed and for her main course she had the risotto which she said was lovely. I ordered the chorizo cooked in a red wine sauce for my starter which was just ok. On the basis of the starter I wasn't quite sure what my choice of main course (pan seared trout, potatoes, spinach and tomato salad) would be like. But it was delicious! Nicely cooked and very tasty, a big thumbs up from me.

The vanilla ice cream was off the menu when we came to order the sweet which was a shame, but the creme brulee with homemade shortbread was very good.

There was a good selection of drinks and overall it was a pleasant dining experience - the prices were very reasonable. We felt however that the al la carte menu was a bit limited. A few more options would've been nice.

My only real criticism came when I looked down at the bottom of the menu where it says dogs are welcome. Guide dogs... fair enough - but not people's pets! I do not like dogs!!! I did check with the waitress but its just in the adjacent bar/lounge area (where food is also served) where they are allowed. I just think that any bar/restaurant establishment where food is being served should not permit dogs.

There were no animals in the bar when we were there but had there been I would have felt uncomfortable. On this basis I would choose not to come here again. A shame really because the atmosphere was pleasant, the staff were great and the food was good.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

First visit, only a voucher deal so not expecting too much. Wrong! The dinner menu that we chose from had a strong Asian influence and so did three of our four dishes. Someone in the kitchen really knows what they are doing here. Thai prawn noodle starter was as good as described elsewhere and a chicken noodle main was as tasty as any Asian dish I have ever had! Brilliant. Add a small but interesting wine list, a good bar, good atmosphere, friendly staff. Will definitely return.