Stayed here for one night on business two weeks ago, not my first visit to hotel but first in a couple of years and my first review of the hotel. Externally, it's a dated building especially against the wonderful architecture of Edinburgh but it is very centrally located and a very short walk from Waverley station.
The lobby and reception area is OK and the staff gave a good welcome. I had a fast check-in and my room was clean and well presented. Soft sheets and good pillows - always my bug bear. Lovely soap in the bathroom - nice smell and moisturising.
The bed was two single mattresses zipped together. One side very lumpy and worn out, the other felt new and comfy. As I was on my own, I could chose sides but I wouldn't have wanted to chose had I been travelling with my husband. One of us would have had a bad night!
My room came with the offer of free wi-fi although I didn't have time to use it as it really was just a bed for the night.
My room was right over the entrance to the shopping centre and therefore facing the busy junction and pedestrian area. You do get a bit of drunken shouting and traffic noise til a late hour but not the hotel's fault. Despite this, I slept very well, enjoyed a good shower and set off for my day. I didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on the offer.
Likelihood is that I'll be staying here again soon so I will be interested to see how other rooms measure up.
For me, overall accommodation makes it a three star hotel, not four star but they do get a "star" for location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King James is located just off Edinburgh’s world-famous Princes Street, and a short walk from the Royal Mile. Whether you’re here for work or pleasure, the Fringe or to see in the New Year, you’re guaranteed a warm Scottish welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The King James, Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- King James By Thistle Edinburgh
- Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James Scotland