“Central location but not four star”

Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James
Ranked #98 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“Central location but not four star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business two weeks ago, not my first visit to hotel but first in a couple of years and my first review of the hotel. Externally, it's a dated building especially against the wonderful architecture of Edinburgh but it is very centrally located and a very short walk from Waverley station.
The lobby and reception area is OK and the staff gave a good welcome. I had a fast check-in and my room was clean and well presented. Soft sheets and good pillows - always my bug bear. Lovely soap in the bathroom - nice smell and moisturising.
The bed was two single mattresses zipped together. One side very lumpy and worn out, the other felt new and comfy. As I was on my own, I could chose sides but I wouldn't have wanted to chose had I been travelling with my husband. One of us would have had a bad night!
My room came with the offer of free wi-fi although I didn't have time to use it as it really was just a bed for the night.
My room was right over the entrance to the shopping centre and therefore facing the busy junction and pedestrian area. You do get a bit of drunken shouting and traffic noise til a late hour but not the hotel's fault. Despite this, I slept very well, enjoyed a good shower and set off for my day. I didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on the offer.
Likelihood is that I'll be staying here again soon so I will be interested to see how other rooms measure up.
For me, overall accommodation makes it a three star hotel, not four star but they do get a "star" for location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ocean66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and was travelling with work on my own. I arrived in the evening and had to wait a really long time to check in - there was only one person working on reception and the customer in front of me seemed to have a never-ending list of things he wanted to talk to the receptionist about, hence my wait.

I was given a single room - one single bed, very old furniture, *tiny* bathroom which had seen better days. My halls of residence at uni were nicer to be honest. It was travelodge quality at an expensive rate.

I assume the hotel was full - it certainly seemed very busy with tourists. I was awoken at 5am this morning by someone (I assume from the hotel) knocking on doors in the corridor saying "This is your wake up call" and then by the awoken tourists all coming out of their rooms.

As I mentioned, I'm pregnant and really could have done with a better night's sleep!

The good points - location-wise it's great and the breakfast was really good.

I won't be returning and won't be recommending it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Over the past year this Hotel has had some "mixed" reviews......some criticisms justified but some I feel rather harsh!! Outside the Hotel is displayed "AA- 4 STAR".....A "spot-on rating"!
Importantly this is a 143 room Hotel with 20 parking spaces(£15 per day).....it is 3-4 mins walk from Edinburgh Waverley......"let the train take the strain"!
Hotel has "location,location,location" on Leith Street at end of Princes Street......very busy so rooms at front of Hotel cannot avoid traffic noise.We had requested a quiet room and were on 6th floor at back of Hotel......much quieter!
We had a standard double room...£270.30 for Fri/Sat 2nights....good size and very comfortable..plenty wardrobe/drawer space, safe,trouser press/iron+board, tea/coffee facility, WiFi available(voucher from Reception 90mins=£6). Only minus NO Air-con.....ceiling fan was noisy and ineffective! Luckily our weather was cool and Autumnal so not a problem!! Bathroom fully tiled..lovely towels...and happily I didn`t have a "Hitchcock Psycho episode" with the shower curtain.....another reviewer said it had attacked her!!
"Craigs Restaurant" for breakfast has come in for unfair criticism! Staff were friendly and attentive....good selection of Continental and Traditional cooked breakfast......£10 pre-paid voucher from Reception per person.......wonderful value!!
"Boston Bean Bar"....friendly Staff and reported "jaw-dropping prices".....£7.50 large wine/£4.50 pint Guiness....these are typical hotel prices and many cheaper Bars are a short walk away!
Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful.....and check-out is 12 noon. Interestingly the Hotel has been doing a nightly "Jamie`s Scottish Evening"..April- October...for the past 20- plus years......Traditional Scottish dinner with wine followed by a cultural lesson in Scottish history with the best of Scottish music, song and dance.........£55 per person......very popular!
The hotel is part of St James Shopping Mall with "John Lewis" and nearby "Harvey Nichols"....something for everyone! Also just along Princes Street is "Jenners".....an old department store dating back to 1895........how big shops used to be!!
Next to Waverley Station perhaps the best way to explore Edinburgh is via a hop-on/hop-off City explorer bus tour. "Majestic Tours" will take you down to Ocean Terminal, Leith.....modern shops and restaurants and a chance to take a tour around Royal Yacht Britannia....fabulous!!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at "King James" and will certainly return!!........Best advice wear comfy shoes as in Edinburgh you`ll certainly walk a Royal Mile......or two!!!!

Room Tip: High floor.....back of Hotel.......for best chance of a good night`s sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bossier City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We arrived after a long day of flying to find that they were overbooked. They sent us by cab to another hotel for one night. The next day we got our own cab, and were reimbursed, and returned to this hotel only to find that our toilet wouldn't flush. We were gain told that they were completely full but might be able o find us another room on a lower floor the next day......they explained that it takes longer for the water to refill on the higher floors! They suggested that we could use the public restrooms on the second and third floors! The next day they did not offer to move us, but reported that someone would look at it again while we were out or the afternoon. Upon our return, it did work a little better, but we could not both use the toilet immediately after each other so my husband ontinued to go downstairs to use the toilet our entire stay.
The buffet breakfast each morning was very good.
The hotel was located within a short few blocks to several bus stops, and somewhat farther walking to High Street/Royal Mile/Edinburgh Castle.
Room was small with two tiny single beds that squeaked each time you moved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

very centrally situated(just off the royal mile) and considering we were less than quarter of a mile away from the main railway station,the room we stayed in ,on 6th floor was very quite the rooms were a reasonable size,and the buffet breakfast,which served hot and cold food,and was excellently served with a smile,by the staff,who served the drinks,this hotel compares well with other chain hotels,but there were one or two niggly faults prevented it getting a higher score,the first was in the bathroom,were the heated towel rack,was situated directly under the extraction/fan,grill,which had a layer of dust on it an inch thick,which was unfortunatly dropping onto top towel,the other,,was on the day of leaving,we went for breakfast,after which,we went back to pick up our cases,but were refused entry,back into room,this was at 9am,and checkout,was not supposed to be till 12pm,had to go down to desk,who told me,that housekeeping could not allow me back into room,in case my partner,had thrown me out of room,if we had a row,unlikely after 30yrs marriage,but as i pointed out,it depended on who had paid for room,but i did think it was a weird excuse for him to come out with,on arrival,we were given two keys,one of which never worked during our stay,the other problem,was the price,you had to pay seperately,on arrival for breakfast,£10pppn,wifi was also£10pppn,this was on top of the £232,we paid for two nights,but overall,a reasonable hotel

Room Tip: higher the better,and at back of hotel,for quiteness,trade off,not good view out of window(roof of s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in July.We chose the hotel for its location,close to the rail station and also the theatre which we visited on one of our evenings in Edinburgh.
Although a busy hotel,it is very well run.Rooms are clean,well furnished and comfortable.The dining room is where the excellent breakfast buffet is served.Evening meals can be taken here as well as in the bar.We chose the bar and had quite a good meal there.The only down side was the price of the wine.We found it very expensive and consequently had only a single glass each.The bar was very quiet and i think if drinks prices were more reasonable ,more people would choose to use the bar. Overall, this is a well organised hotel and very close to all amenities including a shopping centre.There are probably more upmarket and pricey hotels around but i would choose to return here in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel as it is away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosee
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are very good - breakfast excellent - position: centrally located - clean...BUT the 150 eur per night decreased the quality / ratio and forced me to give 3 stars. Again: I really appreciate the breakfast. However I am sorry, the final score is: it is not reccommended due to the cost.

• Stayed September 2012