“I wouldn't stay again - Potential health issues”

Cairn Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #83 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Cheap hotel for EDI standards. Location is good.

However I was given a carpeted, tiny single room in the basement of the building in front of the reception (you have to cross the street). This is an old basement in Scotland = humidity, not clean, old bathroom, terrible ventilation. Probably not the best thing for your health particularly if you have asthma or other respiratory issues.... and even if you are healthy, the perfect spot to get a flu.

Room Tip: Just avoid.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Danudanu

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was very disappointed with my stay here. I do not recommend it for women traveling alone, as I was. The lobby is fairly nice, but once you enter the corridor where the rooms are, nice goes out the window. The hallway was shabby. I was given the first room inside the corridor. My window was on ground level and overlooked the sidewalk and the hotel entrance. The carpet in my room was stained. The floor slanted enough that I could feel it while lying in bed and feared rolling off the bed in the night. When I got up in the mornings, I always had trouble getting my balance. The shower was dangerous. It was on a platform and measured a good foot from the floor to the lip of the shower. I was terrified of falling or slipping coming out of the shower. The staff were mostly young people without much of a welcoming spirit. I will admit that I did not try the restaurant, so I cannot comment on it, but I can say that my reservation listed breakfast as £6.00, but when I arrived I was told it would be £7.50. I decided I didn't care for the switch up and ended up eating at Starbucks. I won't stay here again. I didn't much care for the street it was on either. It just didn't feel welcoming.

Room Tip: Choose something in another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful excellent hotel . Fantastic location , room and cleanliness excellent recommend highly . Well done . I would def stay here again . Really near city centre and wether spoons for cheap breakfast as hotel only does continental . Staff lovely just spoilt by Americans bringing their male friends back , but we know how rude and couldn't care less about other people they are . Please try this hotel .

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and was very happy with its location, and overall service. I had a renovated room on the second floor, viewing the street. The room was small, but cozy. It was clean and well equipped (kettle, hairdryer, tv...). It offered good quality sleep and was quiet. I was impressed by the height of the ceiling and the big window, which made the room look spacious and bright.
The staff were really friendly and positive.
The location was also comfortable - not more than 10 min walk to Princess street; very close to Carlton hill (highly recommended to visit during sunset!). There was a supermarket and several pubs nearby.
At last, Cairn hotel offered much better price, compared to the other available offers. Overall - excellent value and definitely recommended hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a renovated room, second floor looks better!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I only stayed at the Cairn for one night - I arrived late for a business meeting. Although it was after 11 pm the reception was open and the night porter was very friendly. The reception and servery for breakfast was very modern and quite contemporary but through the doors my room was still old fashioned with the tartan carpet and faded kitch hunting picture! I like that faded grandeur - but its not to everyone's taste. I think the hotel is modernising so the rooms maybe being redone shortly.
My wardrobe was a disaster - really needed to be thrown out - but i didnt need it just for one night. I slept in a room on the ground floor to the back (215). There is an outdoor area at the back that could be an amazing garden...
But the best thing about this hotel was the continental breakfast - it was fantastic for just £6 ish. Make your own waffles with chocolate drops, toast, a good selection of meats and cheese, lots of cereals. Tea in a pot! The staff were very friendly and helpful especially when i stuck my waffle!
I walked to Waverley - would definitely stay again. great value, close to the centre and the breakfast was fab

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed for three nights and found the hotel very convenient and the hotel room, comfortable, very clean and even the desk big enough to work on. Great place to stay for business meetings in the heart of Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AngharadWilmslow
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Room was very comfortable - especially the beds. My dad reckons it's the best sleep he has has since we arrived. We were in the annex which is still original - very 1900's but that added to to the trip :) the rooms were serviced daily and were very clean. They were very warm which was great considering how cold Edinburgh was. Friendly staff and great location - only a 10-15 minutes walk to the main part of town one way and 15 minutes to the royal mile the other way. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family