“Cairn Hotel”

Cairn Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #85 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I loved the room. It was quite spacious as far as single rooms go. The staff were helpful. For me the things that let the hotel down was the noise of the work men who are doing the refurb. They start early in the morning, which was okay for me as I was away on business and the fact that the w-ifi connection was dreadful. The staff did their best to sort out both of these issues.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Helenfocused
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed at Cairn for marathon I could not have been nearer to the start.Room was newly refurbished so had a few minor issues which I hope will be addressed.All the staff were very friendly and helpful and accomodated my running related requests.
If you want a single room try to avoid 311 as it is above the main entrance and is noisy.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank HOHAMBOP
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here for a first visit to Edinburgh and it was perfect! The twin room was large enough, contained two single beds, a television and coffee/tea making facilities. The bathroom was large enough with a fantastic shower, plenty of storage for clothes etc on the shelves and clothes rail provided. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from St James' shopping centre and a corner shop, and is on a quiet side road. Very easy to find, 10 minute walk to the Golden Mile in Edinburgh, and staff very friendly - recommendations received for bars and places to eat, as well as other hotels to try and ironing equipment was leant out! Thoroughly recommended as a place to stay for a short duration.

Very good value and modern rooms, a very slight complaint being the lack of more than 2 plug sockets in the room! Will happily stay again, fantastic place.

Room Tip: Twin room ideal for friends staying, works out at around £25 per night per head.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thomas P
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel ticks all the right boxes. Especially if you've booked for the EMF as it's near both starting roads. I was really pleased. Lovely room, modern bathroom, excellent service. I would highly recommend and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank dilizdorset
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights in late May.
When we arrived we were given our key(credit card type key) and went to our room: 321

It is on the first floor above the street level with a window facing away from the street. From reading other reviewers, apparently it is a much quieter room than some in the hotel. We did not experience much noise during our stay.

The room has been recently remodeled and is quite modern with simple yet nice design. The double bed is just that, two singles placed together. It was not the most comfortable bed to share but still an ok place to rest after a great day of seeing sites and drinking whisky!

There is a coffee/tea service in the room as well as a hair dryer(doubles as a clothes dryer while traveling). Small tv has more channels than you'll watch. The small closet is compact and was well stocked with hangers for our clothes.

Our bathroom was spacious given its small footprint. The sink has a light fixture yet the light was not in service :-( The staff does stock the bathroom with shampoo, shower gel, shower cap and body soap for one's hygiene needs.
Our experience with the leaky shower door is similar to others: the door does not seal, therefore quite a bit of water gets into the bathroom floor. This is more of a nuisance than a safety hazard though, the floor towel absorbs much of the mess and the staff gets the rest of the mess.

Our room was made daily with our bed made and shower towels replaced daily.
All in all, the experience was basic yet we had all the comforts necessary for a budget place in Edinburgh.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk to waterloo place, 10 minute walk to the royal mile via north bridge. There is a Tesco express around the corner as well as many small shops that sell quick bites to eat and coffee :-)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mannygoesplaces
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I've stayed here a good few times and always like to note it is a good budget hotel in an excellent location in Edinburgh for bars and lovely restaurants particularly Italian and India. It also could not be closer to the start line of the Edinburgh marathon particularly if you're a faster runner. I shall be booking again as soon as the dates are loaded onto the hotel system for next year. The hotel is also having a refurb in stages, as well as the bedroom's bathrooms, the reception area, bar and breakfast room have all been done since I was here exactly a year ago, in a very modern contemporary style. I do hope this will not mean the prices going up!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with a group of my friends for my 21st birthday. We visited from the 24th May to the 26th. Overall our stay was very good the rooms were spacious, the cleaning service was excellent and the staff were mostly all very polite and friendly. We met many staff during our visit I didn't get the names of the staff but there was a blonde lady working as we arrived and she was very friendly and welcoming. That night there was a younger man on the reception and he was also very polite and helpful. The following day a brunette lady was working and she was much the same helping us with our inquiries. On our last night however, the older man on the reception was very rude and swore several times at one of my friends as they had split from the rest of the party and asked to be let in the room. I understand it may have been slightly annoying but to be treated in that way was completed out of line and she was in fact scared of his response and the taxi driver waited until she was in the room. I would stay in the hotel again it was very laid back and chilled place to be and the location was very central.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends