“Simple but great budget option”

Cairn Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #78 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Liechtenstein
“Simple but great budget option”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We did like this simple but cheap place, as it offers everything you need for a small price. It' located a 10 min walk from town center, has small but good rooms, okayish stuff. We did not have breakfast there as it seemed a little ovepriced and you have a good choice of coffees on town... I would stay there again to safe money.

Room Tip: My room was facing the court and was calm and bright.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 30andtravelalot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in Room 316 which was a family room although there were only 2 of us - the room was huge, had a lovely new bathroom and was at the back of the hotel so we didn't hear any road noise.
The hotel was clean, tidy and was in the process of being renovated - Room 316 had already been done and it was beautiful.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Location was excellent - 10 minute walk to Princes Street - I know this is what it tells you on the website but I never know whether to believe their times, however on this occasion, it was true.

There is a private car park available, however this is at a charge of £10 per day - although we looked prior to booking, we couldn't find anything about parking and so we phoned the hotel who told us parking was free then sprung the £10 charge on us when we arrived. This was the only time we had a problem with the hotel.

Overall, we had a lovely time at the hotel and would return for location alone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily M
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 2, 2013

the room is very small. when I say small, I mean it is just a size of a big bath room. you can barely move. then you might wonder why did I rate 4 star. I paid 30 pounds and wasn't expecting a big room. I checked in at. 11:45 pm n checked out at 8am. I had a good sleep and the bathroom had all the basic amenities.
the hotel is close to railway station and that's why Picked up this hotel. staff was friendly during the check in process.

avoid if you want to stay longer than a day.. it is good for one night sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nilmov
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night at the end of March 2013. We booked a twin room for 1 night which cost £40. We were greeted in a friendly manner at reception and directed to our room which was on the ground floor and very close to the reception area. The room itself was fairly small but not too cramped, although the bathroom area was rather small. The room was clean and tidy and there was a decent selection of hot drinks too. Very good location too, just around the corner from the theatre and a number of pubs and only 10 minutes walk from Waverley station and Princes Street. For the price we paid there was no complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Les_Gtfc
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here on Thursday 28th March for one night as my colleagues were having a night out. I got it for a very cheap price so I wasn't sure what to expect of the place.

When I arrived, I waited for a minute or two and somone then came to check me in. The receptionist was very polite and I couldn't have asked for more. My room was the furthest one from the reception, down lots of corridors, but I found it ok.

The room was a twin (I had booked a single) and it was very clean on first inspection. The decor was dated but being clean is the main thing. The room was large enough and the bathroom had everything you could need. The shower was a good standard and warm enough too. The beds were comfortable but the room was very hot during the night. I could also hear the water running in the room next to me which woke me up once. I was right next to a road, I'm not sure which one, but you could hear some of the external noise but it wasn't too bad.
On leaving the hotel, I just handed my key in and was on my way.

The location of this hotel is brilliant, 10 mins (max) to Princes Street and right next to the Theatre. For the price I paid, I really can't grumble. I wouldn't want to pay a premium price for this hotel but I didn't mind at the low cost price I got it for. I don't think I'd want to stay more than a couple of nights but for a bed after a night on the town, it was damn good. I will certainly consider it next time I'm out in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DBenedict
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Cairn Hotel for two nights during a short trip to Edinburgh. On arrival the staff were curt with us when we asked questions about our stay, and unwilling to respond to questions about the city. We had asked for directions - on leaving the hotel we spotted a stand with free maps in the hotel entrance which was handy, they could have just directed us to these!

Our hotel room was basic, but clean. At first glance it seemed fine for our needs as we weren't planning on spending time in the hotel, just sleeping there.

The window was open when we arrived, and on closing it we realised it had no lock and could be opened from the outside - we were on the ground floor. When we asked the receptionist about this we were told not to worry as there had never been a 'notable incident' (?!).

The shower was a mere trickle. Using the shower or toilet caused the pipes to moan. As a result we got little sleep during our time there as anyone in a nearby room using the bathroom sets the pipes to moaning waking you up.

The floor boards creak, so if anyone in the rooms above or on the same floor are walking around you can hear them - including everytime anyone walks down the corridor past your room.

The walls are really thin, we could clearly hear conversations in the rooms adjacent to us. anyone walking past your rooom or in a nearby room causes the floor to creak loudly.

The bed was really comfy, but as a result of all the noise we got very very little sleep during our stay. I definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have large wooden frame windows which can be opened from the outside and h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cherry B
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

A 10 minute walk from Waverly Railway Station - although took longer as we got distracted by the shops. Less than 5 minutes walk from Playhouse Theatre, great range of restaurants and pubs near by. The hotel itself was clean but furniture dated with a very good bathroom with excellent shower (often something that many hotels let themselves down on). The complementary tea/coffee/biscuits and bathroom products all very good quality. We were on the lower floor and it did feel a bit of a rabbit warren - wouldn't have liked to have to find my room after a few sherries!

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, in particular the night porter who helped us out with bus routes for the next day. The Edinburgh bus drivers we met were the friendliest and most helpful we have encountered.

We didn't use the hotel restaurant because we wanted to have Italian (see my review of Mamma Roma) but the menu looked good and prices were reasonable.

It must be remembered that I wasn't paying Ritz prices but the standard was much higher than I expected.

I will definately be looking to book here again for my next visit to my capital city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple