Tripadvisor
Edinburgh
3,389 results
All reviews haymarket station high ceilings city centre princes street tram stop breakfast was excellent twin room porridge haggis royal mile buses castle pubs
Selected filters
Reviewed January 16, 2020

I got a good price for this hotel through the internet.
check in was a long time but there was a girl behind reception and she was on her own and she was dealing with the guest infront. there was another girl at the side standing there and didn't say anything.
When i got to my room,the menus that are in the room and at the restaurant do not match.
In the morning it all started to go wrong. The shower rail was rusty and needed a good clean, then i went for breakfast, there was nothing special there. the Black pudding was like rubber. When after i had finished my breakfast i noticed that the milk jug was dirty with old milk round the inside.
When i checked out, i had to wait a while because the girl was busy sorting out another check out and she asked her colleague for help who was speaking to another memeber of staff and he said he was having difficulty to check log on. I asked about an invoice and because i had used a 3rd party i couldn't get one. I mentioned that this is the worst hotel that i have ever stayed in and that i have stayed all over Scotland and the man wasn't interested. Then i raised the points that i found in the morning and i was informed that i should have spoken to one of the breakfast team about the milk jug. There was no on there when i left. I was told i should have waited to see a member of staff but i wasnt waiting round at all. I finished up by saying that i will not be back and the man said that up to you. He was not interested

Date of stay: January 2020
3  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed January 16, 2020

Lovely place to stay! The location was perfect, close enough to the tourist sights without the hustle & bustle. Easy access to transpo. Lots of restaurants, pubs and grocery stores nearby. The staff both at reception & restaurant are warm & accommodating, going the extra mile and offering me express check out, etc. The room I stayed in was nice and cozy, and fairly priced. Definitely staying here again when I come back to Edinburgh!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2020

Myself and my partner stayed here for an overnight in December 2019 and stayed in a double room. Firstly, the hotel is in a great location, very central to Edinburgh City Centre and a 2 minute walk from Haymarket Train Station. The hotel itself is split in to two separate buildings, one building on each side of the street.

On arrival the hotel was extremely busy which was understandable due to the busy time of year, just before Christmas. We joined the long queue in the reception area and were advised by reception staff at the desk that our room was not ready, the check in time was later than normal due to shortage of cleaning staff which was not an issue and the polite man on reception apologized for this. The staff we dealt with were very helpful and pleasant despite clearly being under a lot of pressure. We provided our telephone number so as to receive a text notification when our room was ready and the hotel took our luggage for us whilst we waited for this.

We were given a double room as requested on the 4th floor of the main hotel building. Our room was clean and spacious however the decor was quite dated and nothing spectacular for what is considered to be a 4* hotel. The room consisted of a large double bed, desk area and an en suite bathroom with bath and shower facility. The bed was comfy and we did have a great nights sleep, we could not hear any noise throughout the night considering how busy the hotel was. Hotel check out was at 12pm and this was fast and efficient.

I do not personally feel that this hotel is of 4* quality and considering the price paid which was £180 for one night I was expecting a lot more from the hotel. This price did not include breakfast. I feel that for this money you could find somewhere a lot nicer to stay in Edinburgh however it should again be noted that this hotel is in a fab location it's just a shame about the dated decor and lack of personality in the rooms!

1  Thank darionnea
Reviewed January 8, 2020

I visited Edinburgh on the 27/12/2019. Taking my partner away for her birthday. The hotel with breakfast and a DELUX KING ROOM was £185 for two nights with breakfast, a special offer on Booking.com. the room otherwise would have been £250+ pounds. The place is grubby stained carpets scuffed walls and needs a refurb. But what topped it off was the DELUX room was merely a dated a 60s style dirt bathroom, two beds pushed together, old furniture and a huge stain and flaking paint where there had been a leak from above. I was shown around three different rooms all looked nothing like the pictures advertised and all had issues such as wallpaper falling off and broken shower rails.

PLEASE VIEW PHOTOS OF WHAT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE VS WHAT WE WHERE PRESENTED WITH.

Room tip: No rooms are as advertised I asked the manager to show me any room that looked like the images online and there weren't any!
2  Thank Askew1213
Reviewed January 6, 2020

This hotel cost over £200/night for 3 nights. We arrived & were told we had been 'upgraded', but we were put in the annex across the road on the 3rd floor (with very tall rooms) - & the lift wasn't working. I said I couldn't do this because of arthritis + we were told there was no option as the hotel was full. We were taken up really old rickety stairs. The sink was blocked, the shower only dripped & the television didn't work. There were no shelves/drawers, the carpet was dirty. By the time we got downstairs, it was just before 9 but we were refused entry into the restaurant as it closed at 9. We were given a bottle of wine by reception 'as a gesture of goodwill' which we left in our room. Next morning we packed up + gave in our key before breakfast. We were told our new room would not be ready until 3pm as that was checkin time! When we returned at around 9 we were given the key to our new room. We found the wine had gone missing! After that I didn't let the cleaners in our room. We went to the bar to get a £7.50 sandwich + waited over an hour! We didnt eat until 11:40PM! Then at 12:45AM a replacement bottle of wine was delivered to our room. Apart from new years day, breakfast finished at 10. We arrived at 9:30, the food was packed away dead on 10:00 and many people had not finished. I had to ask for some fruit. We were given a taxi back into town as a sorry, we were also promised a £100 refund via booking.com but we haven't received this - so people need to be warned.

1  Thank Clare T