“poor to average”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 24, 2013

ok, had read the reviews, and went open minded. First of all check in - room wasnt ready however we were happy to sit in the bar with a complimentary drink. We were booked for dinner, bed and breakfast, although we had originally thought it was bed and breakfast, so had made alternative arrangements for dinner. When we discovered an evening meal was included we did ask if we could lunch there instead, but unfortunately because the hotel was catering for the rugby, then that wasnt an option.Our room was on the ground floor, and was quiet enough considering it was so busy. However the room was a disappointment, as previous reveiwers have described, tired and a bit run down, carpet stains ( which is very off putting ), and the bed was uncomfortabe.However, breakfast was excellent , though we did have to ask for tea/coffee after waiting ten minutes. Food varied and the cooked breakfast was piping hot, catered for all tastes. Location of hotel is also excellent, and the staff are very helpful and pleasant.Also had problems with the tv, kept losing the signal, which was a bit annoying.

Room Tip: we were part of a group booking, and some of the others had accomodation in the townhouses opposite...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynnfarrelly
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for submitting a Tripadvisor review with regards to your recent stay.

It is lovely to read that our staff looked after you well, I appreciate you mentioning our ideal location.

I will pick up with the respective managers the shortcomings you experienced in service and product and ensure this is actioned upon.

I do hope you decide to return in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The word average fits this hotel down to the tee. We stayed here for one night after a two night stay in the fairmont St Andrews. To say there was a slight difference in class would be the understatement of the year.

Its a very dated and tacky hotel that is need of some serious maintenance. Our room was probably the smallest double room we've ever stayed in and again very dated.

The staff were ok and very pleasant abs the bar is fine but I think this hotel lets the name HILTON down.

The location is not too bad to explore Edinburgh but my honest view is the same as most if the re-viewers on this hotel (NOT GREAT).

I hate putting a bad re-view in but it just can't be helped with this hotel.

The breakfast was good (one plus).

AVERAGE, AVERAGE & AVERAGE

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your Trip Advisor review.
We are very disappointed to read your review with regards to your overall stay.
I note your comments regarding room size; all of our rooms do vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860. All rooms are Hilton approved and I apologise that on this occasion this did not meet your standards.
We apologise for any discomfort that this caused you during your stay and I will ensure that your comments are followed up as we would have ideally liked to have spoken with you before you left.
We will certainly use your feedback to improve our services in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Conveniently located for a short walk either to the shopping area on Princes Street or the Rugby ground at Murrayfield. We were put into the townhouse annex across the road from the main hotel and enjoyed a very good quality accommodation with outstanding service from several of the staff. Fully recommend this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on your recent stay at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. We are very delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst at a conference and it's hard to recommend this based on my experience. We checked in late and went straight out then ended up coming back late and going straight to bed. In the morning I noticed that the bed had not been changed from the previous guest and there were hairs and a small spot of blood on the sheet. When I went down to breakfast I notified reception and they apologised and said they would get it sorted. When I came back that evening the bed had been made but still with the dirty sheet on it! I raised this with the duty manager and he got it changed straight away. The room itself was a bit tired and drafty, wi-fi was £14.99 a day which is pretty outrageous. The only thing I can recommend is the breakfast, the chef who was cooking eggs was really friendly and the waiting staff made sure we had all that we needed. I'm sure there are better places to stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roger645

We do appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback.
We must apologise for the shortfall in standards and we will certainly take your feedback on board.
We do offer complimentary wifi in our public areas, but it is chargeable in the guest bedrooms.
We are delighted that you enjopyed your Breakfast experience and Found our team helpfull and friendly, will pass your kind words to the team.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I booked a last minute trip to Edinburgh, and got a great bed and breakfast deal with this hotel. In terms of location this hotel is great. The hotel itself is charming, however definitely needs renovation. Walls are dirty with some room appliances are broken. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the beds ... The mattresses are pretty much awful and are not conducive to a great nights sleep. Every time you turn in turn expect to be woken by the noise from the bed / mattress. Breakfast is entirely forgettable and poor quality. The hotel is adequate but 4 stars is probably stretching it. Reception staff are hit-or-miss in terms of helpfulness

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mister_Bosley

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your Trip Advisor review.
We are very disappointed to read your review with regards to your bed not been comfortable.
I appreciate you mentioning our ideal location in regards to the access to Edinburgh City Centre.
We will certainly use your feedback to improve our services in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We actually stayed here August 2012.

When we arrived we were put in to a room in the main hotel. I refused to stay in the room - it smelt and felt old and dirty. When I complained the staff couldnt be more helpful. They showed us another room which unfortunately smelt even worse.....eventually they offered us a room in the townhouse over the road and it was fantastic. We had 2 very small children with us and our room comfortably fitted us in with 2 travel cots and a settee and lounge area.

The room was cleaned every day and the staff were all lovely and polite.

The breakfast was great.

Based on the townhouse room we stayed in I cant fault the place. However if we had stayed in the original room we were put in I would not be writing such a complimentary review.

• Stayed: December 2012
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am please to hear the team managed to get you a room more accomdating to your needs and there after everything went well.

It is lovely to read that our team looked after you well,I will pass your feedback on.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Wednesday and Thursday night, my husband had received vouchers so we decided to use them to visit Edinburgh and St Andrews. The hotel is fairly centrally located with a short walk to the princes street shops, castle etc. We booked a compact room, and it certainly was. If you prefer a bigger bed then book a bigger room as this was a small double against the wall which wasn't ideal. All other facilities were as you would expect although I would expect wi fi to be free throughout, you in fact have to pay £14.99 per day for this service in room unless you are a hhonours member.
We ate in the restaurant one night and this was very good, breakfast was buffet style and was excellent, the eggs were cooked freshly as you requested and a good choice was available.
The hotel was clean, staff very friendly and helpful. We plan to return and will stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and found the property ideal for your needs.
We are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you were able to fuel yourself up for the day ahead.
Wifi pricing is certainly a hot topic just now, not just for us but for hotels everywhere. We do offer in room wifi at £14.99 for 24 hours and free in our public areas. I will feedback your comments to the decision makers on this topic.
Looking forward to welcome in the near future soon.

Kindest Regards