“Medium out of 10”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I booked a last minute trip to Edinburgh, and got a great bed and breakfast deal with this hotel. In terms of location this hotel is great. The hotel itself is charming, however definitely needs renovation. Walls are dirty with some room appliances are broken. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the beds ... The mattresses are pretty much awful and are not conducive to a great nights sleep. Every time you turn in turn expect to be woken by the noise from the bed / mattress. Breakfast is entirely forgettable and poor quality. The hotel is adequate but 4 stars is probably stretching it. Reception staff are hit-or-miss in terms of helpfulness

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mister_Bosley
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your Trip Advisor review.
We are very disappointed to read your review with regards to your bed not been comfortable.
We apologise for any discomfort that this caused you during your stay and I will ensure that your comments are followed up as we would have ideally liked to have spoken with you before you left.
I appreciate you mentioning our ideal location in regards to the access to Edinburgh City Centre.
We will certainly use your feedback to improve our services in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We actually stayed here August 2012.

When we arrived we were put in to a room in the main hotel. I refused to stay in the room - it smelt and felt old and dirty. When I complained the staff couldnt be more helpful. They showed us another room which unfortunately smelt even worse.....eventually they offered us a room in the townhouse over the road and it was fantastic. We had 2 very small children with us and our room comfortably fitted us in with 2 travel cots and a settee and lounge area.

The room was cleaned every day and the staff were all lovely and polite.

The breakfast was great.

Based on the townhouse room we stayed in I cant fault the place. However if we had stayed in the original room we were put in I would not be writing such a complimentary review.

• Stayed: December 2012
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am please to hear the team managed to get you a room more accomdating to your needs and there after everything went well.

It is lovely to read that our team looked after you well,I will pass your feedback on.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Wednesday and Thursday night, my husband had received vouchers so we decided to use them to visit Edinburgh and St Andrews. The hotel is fairly centrally located with a short walk to the princes street shops, castle etc. We booked a compact room, and it certainly was. If you prefer a bigger bed then book a bigger room as this was a small double against the wall which wasn't ideal. All other facilities were as you would expect although I would expect wi fi to be free throughout, you in fact have to pay £14.99 per day for this service in room unless you are a hhonours member.
We ate in the restaurant one night and this was very good, breakfast was buffet style and was excellent, the eggs were cooked freshly as you requested and a good choice was available.
The hotel was clean, staff very friendly and helpful. We plan to return and will stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and found the property ideal for your needs.
We are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you were able to fuel yourself up for the day ahead.
Wifi pricing is certainly a hot topic just now, not just for us but for hotels everywhere. We do offer in room wifi at £14.99 for 24 hours and free in our public areas. I will feedback your comments to the decision makers on this topic.
Looking forward to welcome in the near future soon.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed November 16, 2013

After having been booked in here by a colleague I read the recent poor reviews with some trepidation. I have to report that, on the whole they are unfounded. We are currently in a top floor room in the town house just after consuming an excellent breakfast. We had a good night's sleep in a firm but comfortable bed, in a reasonably but not over generously sized room with a new, and spotless bathroom. The staff have been all one could hope for. Last night we dined in after arriving from a long train trip. The table d'hote autumn menu provided us with two different meals both excellent in quality, portion size and appearance. There were some nice extra tasters, a strawberry and beetroot warm drink to start.....interesting.... and free i newspaper.

My only quibble to this point is the truly EXORBITANT cost of wifi! How anyone should be expected to pay £14.99 for one day - beyond belief! if the IBIS in London can supply unlimited wifi to all its guests why can't this, far more up market hotel! Wake up Hilton and smell the roses. This is a basic requirement now for modern life and is the single reason why I and my colleagues will not be booking with you again until it is resolved.

Room Tip: The town house is atmospheric and I guess quieter than the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am delighted that all aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and will ensure this glowing report is shared with my team.
I will pass on your lovely commentsabout your dinner experience and quality of food to our head chef Mathew and his team.
We do offer complimentary wifi in our public areas, but it is chargeable in the guest bedrooms.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Thank you.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at Hilton Edinburgh Gorsvenor in Sept 2013.
Its a nice hotel with spacious rooms. Big bathroom.
Excellent Buffet breakfast - very widely spread with veg and non veg options - Good kitchen staff.
Rooms are equipped with facilities for Physically Challenged persons. Lighting in room needs improvement.
Hotel is located near Haymarket station (and tramway) and neighboring restaurants (Omar Khyaam is just 80 mtrs from entrance).
Clock room facility is excellent with very good service.

Room Tip: Omar Khyaam restaurant is just 80 mtrs from entrance - for Indian food.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its great to hear that you found the hotel and its facilities well appointed for your visit to Edinburgh.

It is lovely to read that our team looked after you well especially our Kitchen team and I will pass your feedback on.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The hotel needs a renovation. It is old, not modernised and looks it. Not what I would expect from a Hilton with such a grand name. Great location, though, and staff is very good. Breakfast was good also. Would stay again, although with the understanding of what to expect.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Carpet, matress, furniture, bathroom, electric heater, windows... you name it, it's poor, poor and old, so old and far away from the standard you would expect from a Hilton. TV reception was bad, Internet access was coming and going. It looks like a Hilton from outside and when you walk in but the rooms look and feel like they've been fixed and fixed again with zero budget. Really not worth the stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business