“Better than recent reviews - much”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #120 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 16, 2013

After having been booked in here by a colleague I read the recent poor reviews with some trepidation. I have to report that, on the whole they are unfounded. We are currently in a top floor room in the town house just after consuming an excellent breakfast. We had a good night's sleep in a firm but comfortable bed, in a reasonably but not over generously sized room with a new, and spotless bathroom. The staff have been all one could hope for. Last night we dined in after arriving from a long train trip. The table d'hote autumn menu provided us with two different meals both excellent in quality, portion size and appearance. There were some nice extra tasters, a strawberry and beetroot warm drink to start.....interesting.... and free i newspaper.

My only quibble to this point is the truly EXORBITANT cost of wifi! How anyone should be expected to pay £14.99 for one day - beyond belief! if the IBIS in London can supply unlimited wifi to all its guests why can't this, far more up market hotel! Wake up Hilton and smell the roses. This is a basic requirement now for modern life and is the single reason why I and my colleagues will not be booking with you again until it is resolved.

Room Tip: The town house is atmospheric and I guess quieter than the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am delighted that all aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and will ensure this glowing report is shared with my team.
I will pass on your lovely commentsabout your dinner experience and quality of food to our head chef Mathew and his team.
We do offer complimentary wifi in our public areas, but it is chargeable in the guest bedrooms.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,724)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at Hilton Edinburgh Gorsvenor in Sept 2013.
Its a nice hotel with spacious rooms. Big bathroom.
Excellent Buffet breakfast - very widely spread with veg and non veg options - Good kitchen staff.
Rooms are equipped with facilities for Physically Challenged persons. Lighting in room needs improvement.
Hotel is located near Haymarket station (and tramway) and neighboring restaurants (Omar Khyaam is just 80 mtrs from entrance).
Clock room facility is excellent with very good service.

Room Tip: Omar Khyaam restaurant is just 80 mtrs from entrance - for Indian food.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its great to hear that you found the hotel and its facilities well appointed for your visit to Edinburgh.

It is lovely to read that our team looked after you well especially our Kitchen team and I will pass your feedback on.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The hotel needs a renovation. It is old, not modernised and looks it. Not what I would expect from a Hilton with such a grand name. Great location, though, and staff is very good. Breakfast was good also. Would stay again, although with the understanding of what to expect.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Carpet, matress, furniture, bathroom, electric heater, windows... you name it, it's poor, poor and old, so old and far away from the standard you would expect from a Hilton. TV reception was bad, Internet access was coming and going. It looks like a Hilton from outside and when you walk in but the rooms look and feel like they've been fixed and fixed again with zero budget. Really not worth the stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Stephane E
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Have to admit I was slightly apprehensive about my visit here due to a number of negative reviews on this site, however there was nothing to worry about as this place was fantastic.

The room was excellent and yes there are squeaky uneven floors but the place was but about 200 years ago and I would say this was character, not a fault.

Staff were all very professional and friendly and the breakfast was amazing. Special thanks to Rebecca for assisting with the booking!

I think the hotel is getting a bit of a raw deal with recent reviews and maybe the hotel should be judged on the individual character it has and not compared to other brand new Hilton's?

An honest review from a very happy couple!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Many thanks for the excellent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I do hope you return in the very near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stated for 2 nights recently. Room was decent enough and cleaned daily. Beer prices in the bar were fine, although I dont see the need for a standard bottle of wine to be £20 when a pint is only £3.80. Barman changed the channel over halfway through an international rugby game and when my friend protested he received a mouthful of abuse from the him, who shouted at him across the bar in front of a large group of people. Very disappointing and extremely unprofessional! Had a letter put under my door asking me to contact reception asap, panicked thinking there was some serious calamity, only to find that the reception had not asked for my credit card details when I booked in! Sloppy service and there are better hotels with less stars!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Pilsbury66

Thank you for your review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will adress the issues you highlighted with the team on site.

I am also sorry that you feel the drinks are overpriced. We regularly benchmark ourselves against similar hotels in the city for food and beverage and take action accordingly.

In regards to your commenst about the unprofessional behavour of our team members from the bar the issue was resolved on the day by the duty manager and the team member apologised to the guest.

I do hope that despite this isolated incident, you feel able to continue to stay with Hilton in the future.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were only on an overnight stay but found the hotel and the hotel staff excellent. Would certainly recommend. Dinner and breakfast were good value. The hotel is close to the city centre and can be reached in 10-15 minutes on foot.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Many thanks for your review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and found the property ideal for your needs.

I do hope you return in the very near future.

Kindest Regards