“Tram Under Construction”

Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sacramento, California
“Tram Under Construction”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you are driving into Edinburgh, beware. Traffic around this hotel is total gridlock due to the tram construction which is scheduled to continue at least another year. If you drive, you are also responsible for parking your own vehicle. If it is night, parking is in a dark and remote location, and just try to find the parking Pay Station in the dark. Bring lots of coins, only takes them. Not sure this hotel is worth it. Not their fault, just the city doing its thing. But you will be the one who endures the hassle as they will absolutely not assist - they are not insured is their response when asked.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments regarding the current tram works that have led to several road closures around the hotel and the city centre. Unfortunately, this is out with our control but I can certainly understand your frustration regarding the unsightly etc. Everyone within the community looks forward to this issue being resolved in the near future with better transport links to the hotel become available.
I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Hilton Hotel offers excellent facilities and service. The food is very good and at a formal dinner the table service is superb. Breakfast is also very good - a full range of hot and cold items, all well presented on an 'eat as much as you like' basis. The 'i' newspaper is free during the week and similarly the Independent on Sunday - both excellent. Overall? - Very good value - I would certainly stay there again and will recommend it to friends.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. and llok forward to welcome you int he near Future.
Thank you.
Vienna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Classical fronted hotel in a conservation area - with nice if cold receptions areas. The room I was allocated on the first floor of the main building was very cold with nothing but an electric radiator which was not up to the job. The bed was old and very soft. Also there was a lot of night time noise inside the hotel from guests returning from their evening entertainment and that was until 4am!! Breakfast was good but for some reason the hotel felt it necessary to have the air conditioning on - where it would have been more appropriate to have switched on the heating.

I understand from colleagues with whom I was travelling and who had changed rooms that the facilities in the annex to the Grosvenor - the Hilton Townhouse were much better.

Room Tip: Take the annex Hilton Townhouse
1 Thank MFiVienna

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Good location near Haymarket station. Hotel looks like a converted row of houses, which usually means there is some variety in room quality. However it had friendly staff, ok rooms (mine was cold) but generally unremarkable.

Safe bet if you get a good price and like the location, but firmly a Hilton - great if you like the brand.

1 Thank Ben B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the action but is very comfortable and has very friendly staff. Out room was starting to look a little tired and the view wasn't very appealing but it wouldn't put me off going back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed in a couple rooms at this hotel while taking her to University. As a Hilton Diamond member I try to stay loyal to the brand to build not only points but also to gain “perks”. To this end we were all given breakfast which was good but after a couple of days we ate out after seeing one of the employees pick her nose and then put her finger in the orange juice carafe to carry it! The hotel is actually split across a street with half of it on one side while the other half is at the opposite end of the other side of the street which is odd but OK as it did not rain too much while we were there. This is unlike any Hilton I have stayed at before. The Hotel is basically converted row houses (on both sides of the road) that have been joined together to form a hotel. Our initial check in went well. We were early so our bags where stored and we went to see the city. We should have stopped there as things went downhill quickly. The rooms are small to say the least. My “upgraded” twin room contained a bed and about 6-12” of space around it. The room had one small wardrobe so we ended up storing some of our clothes in our suitcases. The hotel is old and the floors creak, the halls are noisy and the bed was the most uncomfortably hard bed I have ever tried to sleep on. We asked several times for maintenance to fix several items in our room and at the end of the 7 day stay nothing had been touched (how hard is it to change a light bulb in a bathroom?). Despite the poor sleep quality afforded by the hotel and the all of this would have been OK had the staff cared even a little (except the bar staff who were good). Universally the staff was uninterested, untrained and frankly rude and made no effort to help either us or any of the other guests we saw. I have no idea why this hotel is a Hilton and if they will keep their name on it for long but as a Hilton Diamond member I was disappointed and at times disgusted by this place. We were trapped by having pre-paid our stay at this hotel however with planned trips at least 2 times a year for the next 4 years to see my daughter I will sleep under a bridge before I go back here.

Room Tip: stay under a bridge - you will be happier
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ANP123
Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very happy with our room. Booked it for a one night break with my wife as we were taking in a show at Edinburgh Playhouse. Clean & at only £99 for a double room I am happy. Staff were excellent,very friendly. I never had the breakfast,I felt it was a bit expensive,not prepared to pay silly money when I can walk around the corner to a cafe,so a bit taken aback by their price. Only other minor fault was the gap at the bottom of my room door. A good inch it was & I could hear every noise from the corridor. Its hardly going to put me off returning though & tbh I was in Edinburgh to enjoy the city,not to pick faults with a hotel room. As long as I have somewhere clean,safe & helpful where I can get my head down then I am happy. Parking is a bit of a pain due to the roads being fitted with tram tracks but thats not the fault of the hotel.I will return. I recommend this very good hotel,with excellent staff in the best city north of the border. Thank You.

Room Tip: Ignore my swimming pool & fitness centre reviews as it wouldn't let me leave them blank. I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple