“courteous efficient staff”

Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Ardrossan, United Kingdom
“courteous efficient staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My visit to the Grosvenor Hilton started off well as I was given an upgrade. Bed was extremely comfortable and there was very little outside noise so good sleep quality. I found the staff most pleasant and the addition of complimentary newspaers was a nice touch. The location is excellent being only 200 metres from Haymarket station and a pleasant 15 minute walk into Princes St. I would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us - if staying in Edinburgh I the future it would be our pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel!

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tampa, Florida, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Beautiful room with 15 foot ceilings. All of the modern conveniences. Due to road work for tram, access is difficult. The lack of a parking garage is also a hassle as you must park on the street or walk from a car park.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us - if staying in Edinburgh I the future it would be our pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel. Due to Tram works around the Haymarket area, there are diversions in place currently, however we do have updates as to closures on our website for guests.

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Sadly I cannot recommend the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor to anyone. The rooms are way too small, insufficient space to place anything, a handful of coat hangers but no place to hang your actual coat (which in Scotland you often need!) At least the rooms on the first floor have curtains that have an extremely unpleasant odour, like fish or something. The unlucky ones get the rooms that are exposed to all kitchen odours when the kitchen staff prepare the meals for the next again day. And since there is ample room between floor and door, all odour can move freely into the room. When I complained about this olfactory attack which left me sleepless for the night of our arrival, we were moved into another room right away. Unfortunately that room had the same curtains . . . The staff is extremely helpful and polite. They really do their upmost to make you feel welcome. So sad the hotel itself is in a pitiful state. I have no idea where they found the 4 stars this hotel claims to have. Perhaps over in the town house which is just across the road? I have not seen it though. Lousy water pressure in the bath is probably to be expected and those of us from the continent do eventually get used to the two taps for the sink. Again - the staff is great, the hotel is not. After this experience in a HILTON, of which I expected a LOT more, I doubt I will ever stay in another Hilton again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding our staff - they are a real asset to the hotel! I am sorry that the accommodation did not meet your expectations; rooms in the hotel do vary in size and style due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860, but all are Hilton standard. If staying in Edinburgh in the future we would sincerely like to welcome you back to the Grosvenor to allow you to experience our true standards.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We arrived here from the airport -- me after an overnight flight from the U.S. We were about 90 minutes shy of the check-in time. I felt grungy and I was so ready to take a shower to freshen up, but it felt for a few minutes like pulling teeth to get that early check-in. This for a diamond status member. Finally we were given a room. The hotel is actually in two buildings, and our room was across the street. The room itself had lots of character: high ceilings, interesting molding. The bathroom, though, was one of the smallest I have ever seen at a Hilton property. You almost trip over the toilet at the entrance to get to the sink or shower. The floors creaked underneath the carpeting in the bedroom. That's not a complaint, though. It added to the character. The "business corner" was a rickety old computer that was not free to use, which is inconvenient if you want to print something other than a boarding pass. The breakfast was nice, including made-to-order omelettes, and the bar was comfortable, even though the beer selection was a bit lacking. Overall, though, we did not get the level of service we have come to expect at Hilton properties.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad that overall your enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that we could not offer you a room on arrival, however due to high business levels this was not possible. Rooms do vary in size due to the hotel originally being townhouses when built in 1860, but all are Hilton standard. I am delighted you enjoyed the Hilton breakfast, our friendly chef’s are on hand to cook your eggs to order.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I attended the hotel for a conference in May, there must have been 250 people there and although the hotel is an old building it went very well, the breakout rooms are well signed and the staff helpful and smiling. Slightly chaotic in the cloakroom when everyone descended on it it but apart from the that a well located hotel with good service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

I am delighted that you enjoyed your conference, our dedicated professional Meeting and Events Team are always on hand for all your needs.

Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Not a bad place, just really rather underwhelming. The hotel itself is dated and the rooms really show this. For what you get it is overpriced and the overall service (apart from the bar staff who were relatively well trained and friendly) is mediocre. There are better hotels for less money in Edinburgh. I wouldn't bother going back here.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments for our Bar staff. If staying in Edinburgh in the future it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My family and I recently stayed in this hotel conveniently situated in the centre of the city.
Rooms were clean and tidy and well appointed. Staff were extremely helpful and the food of good quality.
The hotel is disadvantaged by having to cross the road to eat in a separate location and parking is extremely difficult.
Current road works make for a frustrating journey to and from the hotel.
In spite of the above shortcomings we consider the hotel reasonable value for money.
Peter M Richardson

Room Tip: Room in the main building to prevent walking to other building for meals.