“Filthy, disorganised and not as described” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Filthy, disorganised and not as described”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We picked the Hilton for our last trip away before having our first baby because of our great combined experience of the brand. However, this hotel has single-handedly destroyed all our faith in the brand forever. We paid for an upgraded room which claimed to be 44 sq m, have bathrobes/slippers, complimentary beverage and a coffee maker and none of the four rooms we went into had any of these things - they are simply entirely false claims. We went through four rooms because the first two were filthy (stained carpets, thick dust including on bedside cabinets), the third didn't have a seating area which apparently "all" deluxe rooms have (according to Hilton website) and the fourth - an upgraded King - almost fitted the description of what we paid for. Breakfast on Saturday was fantastic, but on Sunday a total shambles. They ran out of food during service, apparently because they were "overbooked" - how does this happen exactly when you know at least the day before how many covers you have?

They ruined our last trip away - my wife was stressed during the whole time because of the hotel, and I was ready to flip on Sunday morning when I spat my beans out onto my plate in a gagging reflex because they were fridge temperature (i.e. hadn't just got cold - never heated up!). The front-line staff, however, were very polite, helpful, and professional. Clearly, however, the management are utterly incompetent and due a replacement. I have emailed the CEO of Hilton Worldwide with full details of how this hotel is being run.

We have stayed at some fantastic hotels in our time...but to be honest, when I stayed at the Budget Backpackers in Edinburgh years ago it was better than the Hilton is now. For a good 4* hotel, I would strongly recommend the Apex in Haymarket from previous experience.

Room Tip: DO NOT UPGRADE - you get nothing they advertise - honestly. Preferably book a room in an entirely di...
3 Thank Paul C
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

Further to our direct contact I trust you are now happy with the resolution. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointment experienced and for any stress caused to yourself and your wife. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you are due to become first time parents – I wish you all health and happiness.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ok so its a listed building but its the hilton so would have expected a lot more espeically as the cost is around 4 star .
Arrived at 1500 to find that the room was not ready when we finally got to the room at 1700 there was a strange smell which i can only associate with fish when we approached reception there was nothing they could do so we went and brought an air freshener .
We booked a table in the resturant for 2000 sat down and waited and waited and waited then at 2120 we recieved our main course which came out burnt and overcooked when we told the staff they said it was because they were busy .Checked out the following morning and checked into the premier inn for the next two nights Fantastic service great food and Half the price .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank martin j
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that your room was not ready for check-in; I have ensured to pass your comments onto both the Head housekeeper and Front Office Manager to ensure there is no recurrence. Unfortunately the odour in room is due to the material of the curtains reacting with the laundry detergent, we are currently in the process of re-laundering all curtains to eliminate this, I am sorry for any discomfort this caused you.

I have taken onboard your comments regarding service in our restaurant; I must assure you that this is not our normal standards and I can only but apologise profusely for the length of time taken and the quality of food supplied, I will of course follow up on this with the Head Chef and his team to ensure more care is taken in the future.

I am sorry for the experience you encountered; I do hope that despite this isolated incident that you feel able to continue to stay with Hilton in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Stranraer, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My partner and I were having a trip to Edinburgh for the weekend as i work away from home. From the start until I got my money back I was bitterally disapponted. We arrived at the hotel to ask how to get to the car park because the roadworks blocked the way but the receptionist wasn't interested, with nowhere to park we ended up having to abandon the car on a yellow line and were planning on just putting our bags in and then going to find a car park. Once we were checked in, we were given no help as to how to find our room. We struggled with our cases in the tiny lift and narrow corridors and eventually found our room. The first thing we noticed when we opened the door to the room was how cold it was, the windows were both lying open wide, this was probably to try and get rid of what I can only describe as the strong smell of urine in the room. We had a look around the room and found items that obviously belonged to another guest who had previously been staying, the sideboard was scratched and dusty and there were tissues lying all over the floor. I went down to tell the receptionist about the room not being clean, she told me there were no other rooms available and we would have to "make do." Not happy with this response, I asked for my money back. She told me she doubted I would be able to but would make a phone call and after 5 minutes of making various calls I was told I could have a refund. My partner and I then had to arrange to stay in another hotel for the night, we missed our afternoon at the dungeons as we had planned (we had already bought and paid for our tickets for that day) because it was too late after finding alternative accomodation. We were sorely disappointed about this hotel, as we have previously stayed in the Hilton Belfast in an executive suite which was stunning and the staff could not have been more helpful for the same price as this standard room which was awful. Luckily, we were able to get a room at The Balmoral Hotel, we were upgraded to an executive suite and treated like royalty. What a difference! In a way we are thankful that the Hilton was so terrible as we would have not got to stay in such an amazing hotel as the Balmoral if it hadn't been. It's just a shame that we will now be put off staying at any Hilton hotels due to this bad experience.

1 Thank Barry W

I note your comments regarding room allocation; unfortunately due to human error you were allocated a room that obviously had not been serviced yet, for this I can only but apologise profusely. If I were to offer you reasons for the shortfall in our standards they would merely be excuses and frankly I am not prepared to do that. We are in a people industry and regretfully from time to time things do go wrong, albeit not often here. I am sorry that we let you down.

I have also sat down with the Front Office Manager to ensure your comments are shared with her whole team and that they are re-briefed to ensure better handling of such situations should they arise again.

I am truly sorry for the experience you encountered.
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Mar-13.

Pros:
1. Close to Haymarket station but away from City Centre

Cons:
1. Very small rooms, difficult for two people or a bulky person to stay comfortably
2. Short of staff - long wait at the reception to check out as there was only one personnel and 3-4 guests, then again later in the day it took forever to collect the luggage due to insufficiently manned reception.

Also construction activity around the hotel is a turn off however you cannot blame the hotel for that, lot of construction is up throughout Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in main building, fellow reviewers hated said when for a room in the town house, try tha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pratyush K
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have taken onboard your comments regarding room size; due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860 rooms in the hotel do vary in size, but all are Hilton standard.

I am sorry for any delays you may have encountered at reception, we are generally very good for check in/out, I will forward your comments to the Front Office Manager to follow up on with her team, I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

Thank you again for relaying your experience to us.
Gourock
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our anniversary weekend a gift from our son was spoiled by a freezing and noisy room. We asked to be moved ' and were given a room with a broken wall heater and an absolutely freezing bathroom. We couldn't wait to leave and come home. This hotel is giving the Hilton a bad name. I feel sorry for foreign visitors who may stay here. Lots of people put under the canopy smoking and cigarette ends everywhere we had to cover our mouths to get out of the hotel. Go there at your peril awful hotel.

Room Tip: See your room first before accepting.
3 Thank EllenGourock
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry the your special weekend left you disappointed. I will ensure to have Maintenance follow up on the heating issues, I am sorry for any discomfort experienced.

I have also taken onboard your comments regarding smoking area; we do ask all guest and visitors to use the designated areas away from the front doors, however, some guests do choose to ignore this instruction. Our Duty Managers also do all they can to keep the entrance clear, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Oldsmar, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Hilton has a hidden gem in the Edinburgh Grosvenor hotel: Not too big to be impersonal, not too small to lack services.

It’s located just a short walk from the Haymarket Station, where both trains and the No. 100 Air Bus regularly stop. Even in snow and ice, it was a simple trek.

For tourists, it’s an easy walk to Princes Street and Edinburgh castle. For business, you’re close to all types of public transit. And, when the tram is (finally) in place The Grosvenor will be an even more convenient base.

There’s nothing spacious about British hotel rooms. However, our “Deluxe Double” room was located on the extreme end of the building, making slightly larger than our neighbors’ rooms. It also featured a tall ceiling, three large windows, and a comfortable table/chairs set-up separate from the desk.

Here’s our video tour:

We found three negatives for this room. First, the noise from the road is pervasive. Light sleepers: beware! Those big bright windows might as well be speakers. Second, the bathroom is in desperate need of updating. The sink, after all, includes old school hot and cold faucets (so there’s no such thing as warm water). Third, the mattress is awful. Flat. Squeaky. Disappointing. We hoped we’d just drawn an odd lot, but the front desk told us the beds are the same age/type in all the rooms. Ugh.

That said, the room rates here are a quarter of the Caledonian. It’s a no brainer to stay at the Grosvenor, even though I love “The Caley.”

Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy breakfast. The restaurant is small, but its buffet is big on variety and flavor. Yes, haggis is on the menu! The breads and muffins are fresh and fantastic. Some of the cheeses you’ll find in the refrigerated section are so good you’ll yearn for a glass of port. It’s a delicious spread, and a great way to get the day started.

HITS
-Great location
-Hearty breakfast
-Great rates

MISSES
-Terrible mattresses
-Thin, noisy windows

YOU MUST
-Try the “warm breakfast” on the buffet (hint: it includes Scotch)

Room Tip: Be wary of rooms at the end of the building (facing the road) due to noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris C
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Rooms in the hotel do vary in size due to the hotel originally being a series of townhouses when built in 1860. I will ensure to pass your comments regarding the bathroom to the Property Manager to see what can be done in this area, I am sorry for any disappointment caused.

I am glad that you had the opportunity to sample our breakfast offerings; the Hilton breakfast is a great way to start your day!

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Hotel is in a good location close to Haymarket Station and a 5 minute walk to Princes Street. The staff are really helpful and the common areas of the hotel are pleasant but unfortunately the room I stayed in (above the reception) was a little tired, cold and smelled quite damp and like ammonia. My husband and colleagues have also stayed here several times, in a variety of rooms, and have experienced the same issues.

This is a shame as it is good value and well located. I had breakfast included in my discount rate and it was ok (porridge was not good but the pastries were fine).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Clarinda_Vine
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Since your stay in January and after investigation we have pin pointed that the odour in room is omitted from the curtains in as the material has reacted to the detergent, we have re-laundered all curtains to rectify this situation.

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding our team here – they are a credit to the hotel and go above and beyond continually to ensure every guest’s journey is memorable.