“Lovely family room”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed between Christmas and New Year, so hotel very busy. No complaints for our family suite, was was three rooms and nothing to fault. However, we paid £12 for using wi-fi for less than half an hour, which we felt was a little steep. Things like free wi-fi tend to be fairly standard these days, especially in a suite.

However, my father had a room across the hall which was a standard and was not as recently decorated or in the same style. Also the lavatory was very odd and in a corner - kinda hard to describe, but let's just say if you were wider than average you might have found it uncomfortable to use!

Breakfast fine. If we'd have been any later we would have had to queue, which I hate on holiday. Why can't hotels come up with some kind of system for breakfast to save you standing there hovering with an impatient toddler of a morning? You could stay in your room with CBeebies for them and a coffee for you rather than standing there tapping your foot! They do it for dinner............

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Some rooms are unique in their own style and layout, due to the hotel originally being townhouses when built in 1860, this is one of the great characteristics of the hotel.

Delighted to see that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast and hope that this set you up for your day.

Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here for a pre-Christmas break with my boyfriend. The hotel is extremely close to Haymarket station and about 15 minutes’ walk to Edinburgh city centre.

We were a bit concerned before arriving here due to the mixed reviews on this site, but we loved it. The fact that the hotel is split on to two sides of the road didn't pose any sort of problem, and the layout / decor was charming and luxurious.

We were given a luxury double room in the Townhouse which was huge with an enormous comfortable bed. The decoration was fresh and the room and bathroom were modern and extremely clean. There is also a lift in the hotel for those who are elderly or disabled, but due to the layout of the hotel I would recommend that anybody who may struggle with stairs flags this up to the hotel on booking as there are unavoidable (small) flights of stairs despite the lift.

We were also provided with a complimentary continental breakfast, despite not actually booking one. This was served in the Townhouse and was of excellent quality and variety.

I'm not really sure where all the bad reviews come from. As part of my job I generally travel to various UK destinations and stay in Hiltons, Crowne Plaza and De Vere hotels. This is definitely up to the standard of all other hotels that I have stayed in. A great hotel - don't let the bad reviews put you off!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to post a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the less positive reviews were not off putting to you. I am glad that you enjoyed your deluxe room in the Townhouse annexe and the complimentary continental breakfast that we offer; our breakfast inclusive guests can also breakfast in the restaurant for a cooked breakfast.

Thank you again, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel if visiting Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked an Executive Single through the hotel website at a special price of just under £60 which, in any language, is a pretty good price for a hotel 10 - 15 minutes easy walk from the centre of everything... and, especially on a 'rugby international' weekend. Having read some of the reviews here I was ready to be a bit flexible in my expectations. No need!

Check in was handled efficiently and with a smile. My room on the first floor at the front was spacious... a good sized double in any UK hotel brand... good quality furnishings, decent bathroom (the shower was OK, not spectacular but perfectly satisfactory), nice desk area.

I didn't eat in the hotel (away with a group of other people who stayed elsewhere... bad decision, they paid more for less) so we met up for breakfast and other meals in town so can't comment on the foods.

After my first night's sleep I left a note for house-keeping to ask whether the mattress could be rotated as the access side was soft and I kept feeling as though I'd roll out. This was done as requested and a nice personal handwritten note of apology left on my pillow... that was great service. Not quite so great was the fact that my room didn't get serviced before my last night. Not the end of the world and didn't really bother me but a bit sloppy... I guess, other people may be more upset at such an omission.

It's true that The Grosvenor isn't as luxurious as some Hilton branded hotels but it is of reasonable quality and provides a comfortable stay. I got a good deal but even at normal prices this place is a bargain when you think of the proximity to the centre and the cost of other competitors. It will certainly be first on my hotel list next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the room allocated was to your satisfaction. I am glad that Housekeeping were able to carry out your request, all our team members do endeavour to make all guest journey through Hilton special. I do hope that if staying in Edinburgh in the future, you keep us in mind for your accommodation needs.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Well located for Haymarket train station and close to my event at the EICC.
Facilities are nice enough although the bar lacks atmosphere.
Breakfast was nice.
The room was small and had a small window being on the upper floor.
The corridors are also small.
I would not stay here for any longer than one night due to the exceptionally high cost of in room Wi-Fi (£15 for 24 hours)
Overall, not bad for the money but could be better.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the upper floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. All rooms in the hotel vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860. I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings. If stay ig in Edinburgh in the future, please do keep us in mind for your accommodation needs.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, having read mixed reviews beforehand. I stayed for one night in a Townhouse twin room with a friend for a hen night. This hotel was close to where the rest of the party were staying but was also much nearer the centre of town than I had anticipated - easy walking distance to Princes Street. Comfortable beds, really quiet (and Scotland had just beaten Italy at Murrayfield!) and a lovely breakfast. Only slight issue was the bathroom - nicely done but very small. I'm very tall but I found it a bit tricky to find enough space to dry off after a shower! Wouldn't put me off staying again, though.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Our townhouse annexe boasts some of the nicest rooms in the hotel due to having a £1.3 million refurbishment in 2011. I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings in the restaurant, townhouse guest are also offered a complimentary continental breakfast.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel location is excellent, across from Haymarket Station. I booked a Deluxe Double Room which included bathrobe, slippers, sofa or chair, according to the website. However these have to be requested??? Not standard as advertised so beware and perhaps to call to confirm. The room itself was large but cold, there were 2 electric heaters one of which we used. The bathroom was freezing. Bed was comfortable. We never ate in the hotel so cannot comment here. Car park is across the road and easy to access on foot.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry if the amenities you expected were not available during your stay; I will ensure to share your comments with the Front Office and Housekeeping teams to ensure more care is taken in the future, I am sorry for any disappointment caused.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

the location is quite central and easily accessible. The Hilton brand over the door makes it look
as a noble brand but while our stay was quite pleaseant in terms of service, we felt that this
hotel is still not up to the mark.
In effect the rooms are a bit old and shabby, with a squeaking wooden floor, a two step level difference to access a desperately old bathroom with vintage fittings.
the windows are huge and all you get is a dirty roll-down thing to get privacy.
Single glass ( feels like) windows, thin old wooden door, ensure you are constantly dipped into
a cascade of disturbing noise... especially for drunk room neighbors that chat aloud and slam doors all night long.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple