“Improving all the time”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #117 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed at the Hilton Grosvenor several times over the last two years and it has expanded to include the "Townhouse" rooms across the street from the main hotel. The new rooms are clean and well turned out, but on the smaller side i.e. mainly single rooms with a single/double bed - not a problem if you are in/out on business and work in the rooms (always had enough sockets for my laptop and various gadgets), and although they all have internet, they do not support wifi - This is only supported in the main hotel block.

Rooms in the main hotel are clean, but are in need of a sprucing up - small things like creaky floorboards ruin an otherwise pleasant stay. Never had an issue with the showers (like some other reviewers have reported) and I have always found them to have good water pressure and easy to control the temperature. My last stay was in the main hotel block (room 333 - large room with huge bathroom with skylight), and previous stays have been a mix of Townhouse (singles) and main block (doubles) rooms.

I have especially enjoyed some of the larger rooms on the third (top) floor, some of which boast a nice view, but you really need decent weather to benefit from this. The main areas of the hotel are well presented and modern - especially the bar, reception and the restaurant areas. Breakfasts are the usual Hilton fare, albeit with some local specialities, e.g. haggis sausage. A friendly chef is available to cook your eggs to order too.

Service is key to my choosing a hotel again, and the service here is impeccable. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Location is also well placed - close enough to the town centre (5-10 mins walk) with a train station (Haymarket) across the street. I've preferred staying here rather than the hotels close to Princes St as the traffic there is disrupted due to the new tram works, so it is easier to get in/out without the traffic disruptions.

I feel this hotel is a work in progress, and the expansion and investment in the Townhouse section is looking to capture more of the corporate market. Unfortunately, without a corresponding investment in the main hotel block, this will just be a layover stop rather than a destination itself. Pricing is very competitive compared to other hotels near the town centre. I would not recommend this hotel as a romantic getaway for couples, much preferring the local boutique hotels for character (even though they are considerably more expensive).

1  Thank CaptainPirate
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Townhouse; the Townhouse has always been a part of the hotel facilities and had just undergone a full £1.3 million refurbishment in April 2011. All rooms throughout the hotel vary in size, due to the building originally being townhouses.

Since January 2012, we offer free Wi-Fi access in the public areas of the hotel. Wi-Fi service is available in the bedrooms this is complimentary to our diamond and Gold Hilton Honours members.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding our team here at the Grosvenor, they pride themselves on offering the very best service and I am always glad to see this acknowledged.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,775)

Reviewed November 27, 2011

stayed 25/11/11 for 2 nights room 322, cold bathroom, rubbish shower,grey net curtains ,decor in need of upgrading,windows draughty will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronald s
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I was here on my own for work and my comments may not apply to guests in couples in double rooms.
There were some nice things about the hotel. the receptionist was welcoming and the buffet. breakfast was surprisingly good even to the extent of having an egg chef frying to order. The sausages were good quality.
The bedroom was dreadful. It was number 10 down a flight of stairs from the ground floor with litle day light. Usually when I book a single room I get a twin or double but this hotel has genuine single rooms. The bed was narrow and very uncomfortable. There was no bed table but I could reach out to a shelf over the pipes. The only method that that could keep the window open was propping it up with the provided bible supplied for this. There was neither light nor light switch over the bed. There was a bottle of warm water provided as an optional extra of £3.95.
Worse than all this was the tiny bathroom. There was a very small shower cubicle with insufficient space to wash properly. The rings of taps were confusing and when trying to adjust the flow I had scalding water all over me. I would have thought Health and Safety should have seen to this. There were no warnings. A couple of good things were that there was free WiFi in the bedroom and an adequate range of toiletries in the bathroom. The value was fair at £84 b&b a night but for a Hilton the quality was just not good enough.

3  Thank gmm83
Reviewed November 23, 2011

It is my second stay at this Hilton Hotel in Edinburgh. Staff at the reception were very nice and helpfull. We were given a room in the premises across the road. Since my last visit, these rooms have been refurbished. There is a lift to get to the different floors, however, for some of the rooms you have to get up another smaller stair before you are in your room.

The room I was in had a king bed and a new shower.

I had breakfast in the main building, when I returned, I noted that there were other hotel guests in a room on the groundfloor eating breakfast.

When we arrived I was given a voucher for a glas of wine or a beer a the bar.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here for one night, after a function in the hotel. Our room ( no.121) was very small and dull with a horrible "view" of the roof and air vents from the kitchens. Storage was limited to one wardrobe and the desk drawers ( would be a worse problem for a longer stay ). There was a radiator and a convector heater in the room, but neither seemed to work. Lighting was poor in the room and bathroom. We were next to the lift, so it was quite noisy. The meal at the function was not great. One member of our party did not receive her main course until about 20 mins after the rest of us. My meal was stone cold on arrival. Breakfast looked nice enough, but the grapefruit was so sour we believed it was off. The waiter did not seem bothered by this when we told him.
All this and the fairly hefty price tag aside, the bed was comfy and this hotel is in an excellent location. 5 mins from Waverly station and about 10 mins stroll from Princes Street. Would have liked more from a Hilton Hotel.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgraded room
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shkc26
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Thank you for your review.

The hotel does have varying sizes of rooms due to it being originally townhouses when built in 1860. All rooms are unique in their own style but all are Hilton standard. We do not advertise views, being a city centre hotel we are limited in regards to this. I am sorry you were not truly satisfied with your room allocation, had you made a member of our team aware of this at the time, we would have offer you an alternative room. I have personally been to room 121; both radiators are fully working, I am sorry this may not have been the case at the time of your stay.

We cater for functions all year round and generally receive high praise for the food and service alike, I have taken onboard your comments regarding the experience you encountered an can only but apologise profusely, I can assure you that this is not our normal standard.

I am glad overall that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

Had a lovely stay here with my boyfriend for a romantic break. Right away the staff were very helpful and gave us a map and showed us were to go. The room was beautiful with a very comfy bed. We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel, both were very good.

I would definetly return

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lanzaroteGlasgow

Thank you for your review.

It was wonderful to read your comments. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

Check in excellent, really helpful.
Got a room upgrade due to Gold HHonors which you could tell had been half done the bathroom was new and shiny and clean, the furniture was a mixture of new and old, the bed was massive and comfortable. View from the room was woeful but to be honest didnt matter as it's seems to be always dark in November.
breakfast was good, nice range, had to wait a little to get seated.
it was there 1st day of wi-fi so whilst they were happy to give me the codes and encourage me to use it, the service didnt exist, so hard wired in the bedrooms, hope they iron out the issues.
check out was good and professional.
There is a great restaurant at the end of the road which I ate it, cant remember its name though.
It really is 2 minutes from Haymarket across the road from the station.
I will stay here again if staying in Edinburgh, might not be for those people who want to be in the city centre though

Thank you for your review.

I am glad we had the availability to upgrade you. We do not advertise views as such, being a city centre hotel we are somewhat limited in this respect.

I am sorry you experienced delays for breakfast; generally guests are seated on arrival, but on occasion when guests come down all at the one time, this can cause slight delays.

I am delighted to say that Wi-Fi throughout the whole hotel is up and running and working better than ever, obviously at the time of your stay we suffered teething problems, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you.