“By far NOT Hilton standard”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Singapore, Singapore
“By far NOT Hilton standard”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel. The room in the "townhouse" was never the Hilton standard one is used as their member. The Internet did not work during the whole stay. The bathroom was still dirty and the window even all closed had a gap where the street noise could be heard and wind blew thru it to move the heavy black-out curtains. We turned on the heaters but the radiator valves made such a terrible noise after a while that we had to switch them off again. When checking out, the fellow sent me across the road to the main lobby. Why? He was busy reading sports news on the Internet..... This hotel has great potential. Good location, nice environment but management and rooms / facilities need drastic improvement to reach Hilton levels

4 Thank Stefan_Hutter
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your room allocation, the Townhouse building recently undergone a full £1.3 million refurbishment, and boasts some of the best rooms in the hotel.

Internet connectivity throughout the whole hotel has been upgraded to Wi-Fi in all areas.

You were asked to checkout in the main building, as the person in the Townhouse reception was covering and not trained on this procedure, I am sorry this was not communicated to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Having stayed in a lot of hotels across Edinburgh whilst traveling on business, I can confidently say this is the worst one I have ever stayed in.

On previous stays I have been stuck in the 'clubhouse' accommodation which is truly awful. The rooms are dark, dated an very small. Having vowed never to stay again after this experience, I found myself stuck in the hotel once again because of the festival and a shortage of space elsewhere.

Given my experience previously I paid extra to upgrade to one of the deluxe rooms (taking the price to over £200 a night room only)however when I checked in I wasn't told the hotel was over-booked and only standard rooms were available. When I complained the next day the situation was explained but there was no offer of a refund for the extra money the room cost. I was told that because it was booked through BA I would have to follow it up myself and all the could do was offer me another room for the 3rd night.

Overall: rooms very small, decor looks dated, front desk staff not helpful and basic facilities like the lift don't work properly. The food in the bar is however very good. Wouldn't recommend to anyone traveling on business.

3 Thank n_denn
Thank you for your review.

The club building has undergone a full £1.3 million refurbishment and is now the Townhouse. The Townhouse has the best rooms in the hotel.

As with all hotels in Edinburgh during the Festival, rates are higher.

I am sorry we were not able to refund at the time of your stay, our procedure is that we only refund to the card used as payment, as the payment was made via a 3rd party, this is where the refund must be processed from, I am sorry if this was not explained at the time.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed for a wedding reception being held in the hotel. The rooms were tired the bathroom small with fitting loose on the wall.the food for the reception was very good.I paid top dollar as it was the Festival time in Edinburgh but was annoyed when aced for £10 for 24 hrs wifi in the lobby. I went to Mc Donalds where it was free. The staff were apologetic! I stayed in room 106.

1 Thank Tomfcma
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your review.

I have taken onboard your comments regarding room size; our room sizes do vary, due to the property originally being townhouses when built in 1860.

I was delighted to read your feedback on your dining experience, our Food and Beverage teams work really hard to ensure guest are always satisfied.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet service, and will be moving to Wi-Fi connection in the later part of the year.

Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We loved this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly, the room was incredible (high ceilings, lots of detail/character, nice set of amenities), the service was impeccable. It was in a quiet elegant area but an easy walk to the center of things. Breakfast was included and was great. Nice bar with friendly staff. Front desk staff was helpful, knowledgeable, clearly proud to work there, and very engaged. The only caveat is if you don't like to walk, this is probably not the place for you since it is about a mile to the center of town. But we like walking and it was perfect for us. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TRieger
Thank you for your review.

It was wonderful to read your comments; being a Georgian property we have bags of character and our location is ideal for transport links and tourist attractions alike.

The Hilton breakfast is a great start to anyone’s day, and our staff go above and beyond on a daily basis to make your stay memorable.

Essex
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed here for 1 night for business travel and it was lovely and at 73 pound a bargain..and the inlcuded breakfast was to die for. I felt very 'upmarket' staying here...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank littlelegsEssex
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us; it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

london
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed 3 nights during the Edinburgh festival. Originally we were shown to room 317. Unfortunately this was the smallest room I have ever seen. It did not even have a full size double bed and the space was so small that there was only about 5 inches between the edge of the bed and the sharp corner of the desk so at night I could forsee lots of bruises on my legs trying to get to the toilet. We complained and were switched to a room along the corridor which was still fairly small but at least we could move around ok. As the building is listed and we were on the top floor which I assume was where the servants live we only had widows at the top third of the wall. The room was clean and had a full size bath and was in good decorative order. The breakfast was excellent and all of the staff could not do enough to help. We paid £83 per night including breakfast so even though the room was small it was good value for the location and time of year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sheepygold
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

As the hotel was originally a series of terraced townhouses when built in 1860, all of our rooms vary in size and are unique in their own style, but are all of Hilton standard. Being a townhouse property, windows do get smaller the higher up the building you are. The hotel does not have ‘servants’ accommodation on any of the floors.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding breakfast and our staff; I never tire of reading the positive feedback.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my husband as it was our 20th wedding anniversary and we wanted to do something special. We arrived at the hotel and was greeted by a very moody receptionist who wasn't helpful and felt like they just wanted to get us out the way as quickly as possible despite the reception not being busy. We were left to struggle over the road to their sister hotel in the poaring rain and when we asked for someone help with our bags we were simply told no one was available.

The hotel over the road was beautifully decorated but the reception staff didn't seem friendly and just sent us to our room.

The room was also decorated nicely but was very very dirty and dusty. The shower screen was covered in water marks with what seemed like left over soap stains on the shower base. The toilet had urine stains on the seat and one of the towels had a large orange stain on it. My husband phoned housekeeping to get the towel replaced which took an hour and when it finally did there was no apology and so much for service with a smile, so far every member of staff has made us feel very unwelcome!! As for the rest of the room it was very dusty and had a damp smell but I suppose the dampness can't be helped although for the money we were paying I would of expected the rooms to be free of damp!

Over all very dissapointed, would certainly not recommend this to a friend!

1 Thank nicky_gavin
Thank you for your review.

I am truly sorry for the disappointment caused on your special occasion. I must assure you that this is not our normal service standards; our staff regularly receive high praise for their friendliness and service, we also offer assistance to guests with their luggage as part of the check-in procedure, I am sorry this was not evident during your visit.

Thank you for your comments regarding our Townhouse annexe, this has just undergone a full £1.3 million refurbishment and looks stunning, I have taken onboard your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room, and have discussed these with the Housekeeping team to ensure more care is taken in the future, to ensure the Townhouse remains stunning.