“very enjoyable stay in Edinburgh”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 15, 2011

My wife and I flew up to Edinburgh for a short two day stay at the Hilton Grosvenor lat week. As we arrived early we expected to drop our cases off and go for a walk around, but our room was ready at 10.30am. Sadly the lift was out of order due to them being serviced. We were on the third floor but the staff offered to carry our cases up. The room wasn't the biggest i've stayed in, but it was spotless, warm, and smelt fresh. The bathroom was suprisingly large with the deepest bath i've been in for ages. At night the room was really quiet, even though it over looked the backs of the private houses nearby. Do be careful of the bar prices, a large malt, and half a lager and lime was £16.00! Rather expensive, but my own fault, i should have remembered how expensive hotel bars are. We thought the hotel was well situated on the edge of the main Princess St area, we did wander around the West End Vllage, just behind the hotel, and were very impressed with the shops and great little pubs. This hotel is even in walking distance to the Royal Mile, and all Tourist sites. Breakfast was very nice, typical 'help youself' and 'eat as much as you want'. Fresh food was continually brought out, and everybody seemed to be enjoying it. Overall we had a very pleasent 2 night stay at the HIlton Edinburgh Grosvenor. The Hotel staff even Left a card in the room for my wife's birthday!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Thank you very much for your comments.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly find all of our guests appreciate the hotels proximity to the town centre, and you obviously had a great time in the city getting around the tourist sites.

Also glad your wife appreciated the birthday card!

Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed for two nights as part of a travelzoo offer with 2 nights inc. breakfast and a meal on first night. At £99 per head, we found this to be a great deal. Although a little tatty around the edges, the rooms were lovely and spacious, with all the facilities needed (desk, tea/coffee etc), and clean. The staff were absolutely wonderful, fully assisting in our queries, from the cleaning staff, to the various people on reception and the waiters were lovely, and very kind and polite. The food in the restaurant was good and the service could not be faulted. Despite its city centre location it was very peaceful, and its prime location allowed easy access to Princes Street (a five minute easy walk), and to public transport. Also the surrounding buildings were beautiful, and some very nice restaurants and bars nearby. Hope to be back soon, thankyou for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your kind comments regading your stay with us. I always have much pride reading the positive comments regarding our staff. I note your commnet regarding room allocation, we have just completed a £1.3m refurbishment on our Townhouse building and I am delighted this enhanced your stay with us.

thank you again.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights recently, and I wish it could have been longer! The room was lovely, very quiet with a super comfortable bed. The bathroom was very nice, although my husband thought the leg room was a little crowded on the toilet! The staff was helpful with directions and suggestions. My only complaint was our first morning, we had breakfast in the dining room. It was a buffet only, and it was extremely expensive - ₤15 per person. I tend to be a very light eater first thing in the morning, so I never would have paid so much for a buffet that I knew I wouldn't eat. So, beware of the breakfast unless you are a big morning eater! Other than that, this was a lovely hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your response.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

The Hilton Breakfast is a real meal in itself and sets you up for the day, I am sorry you did not get full value from this.

Thank you for your comments, I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed here on a business trip, check in smooth hotel lovely - plenty of facilities.

Room was clean, spacious bathroom was great size with good power shower.

Attended a function at the hotel in the evening - again this was great.

Only downside to the stay was it is a nightmare to park anywhere near the hotel! There is street parking but only about 8 places and at £2 a hour for a maximum of 4 hours stay it can add quite a bit onto the cost of your stay. There was a NCP about 10 mins walk but not ideal when you have quite a bit of luggage to carry.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2011

Thank you for your response.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us, it seems to me that the quality shines through this hotel. I have much pride in seeing that we still retain many, many customers. I am more than aware that this is difficult to provide 100% perfect service…but that is the challenge that keeps me focussed.

As we are a city centre hotel, parking is somewhat of a challenge for us, there are limited spaces available on the street, however we recommend the Morrison Street car park, which is only a five minute walk from the hotel, this cost just under £10 for 24 hours. I understand your point made regarding toting luggage, we are more than happy for guests to drop their luggage in to the hotel first before finding parking.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with the location, it was actually really good. The staff were excellent and really friendly.

We stayed in the Townhouse and the rooms were a bit small, but I guess that was to be expected.

Nothing special, but at the same time, no complaints either! We had two rooms, and in our room, we couldn't see the TV from the bed - slightly annoying, but no biggie.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Thank you for your review.

Our location is one of the great things about our hotel, we are a ten minute stroll from Princes Street and Edinburgh Castle, we also benefit from excellent transportation links, we are only a five minute walk from Haymarket Train Station and on a direct bus route from Edinburgh Airport.

The Townhouse annexe has recently undergone a £1.3m refurbishment to bring it up to a four star product. The hotel does have a number of varied sized rooms, this is due to the hotel being originally townhouses when built in the 1800’s.

I was delighted to read your kind comments with regards to our staff, It seems to me that the quality shines through at this hotel. I have much pride in seeing that we still retain many, many customers. I am more than aware that this is difficult to provide 100% perfect service…but that is the challenge that keeps me focussed.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed in this hotel during the heavy snowfall in early December 2010. Next time we go to Edinburgh in winter I will not be using this hotel as it is a 10 minute walk to the centre and the roads around the hotel don't seem to be a priority for gritting and was difficult to walk around.

However the hotel itself is very good, the staff were welcoming and the rooms and restaurant were very high quality. I stayed in a room in the main building so cannot comment on the club rooms over the road. The room was very spacious and because it was freezing outside extra heaters were provided in each room without requesting which was needed in this harsh weather.

The breakfast was the usual high standard from Hilton and as we were in Scotland whiskey was available with the porridge, Perfect!!

A special mention for the Restaurant Manager who remembered us at breakfast after dining in the restaurant the night before and gave us the same table, we also mentioned the previous night that we were here for a couple of days so he gave us some good tips on things to do and several brochures, really helpful. Reception also let us stay longer than the usual check-out time as we were watching a movie in the room.

Overall I would go back to this hotel as the staff are excellent and the hotel itself is very nice, but only during the summer months due to the distance from the centre.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
RHEDNGR, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback and it is nice to see how the training we put into action reflects in the good service you received.

Thankfully we don't have the kind of Winter you experienced in December every year. Edinburgh council are normally very good at keeping pavements clear, but this was an exceptionally bad Winter.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

Hotel located close to Haymarket station which was good for sight seeing, unfortunatly the stay was somewhat blighted by the beds which were so hard it was impossible to sleep. We thought this might just be our room and after complaining on the first night we were given an extra duvet to soften the bed, to no effect. After the second night we changed room only to find the same...breakfast in the morning was good however the same can not be said of the evening meal, slow, over cooked and overpriced, even the instant custard had not been mixed properly

Whilst we may return to Edinburgh we would cetainly not return here, in fact i dont think we would ever spend our money at a Hilton hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, as we appreciate all feedback whether negative or positive.

Hilton beds are replaced on a rolling program and we have just installed all new beds in our just refurbished Townhouse annexe. The beds in the main building are being replaced this year with the new Hilton Serenity Beds but generally all beds are firm rather than soft.

I am sorry your restaurant experience was not perfect and your comments will be acted on by the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.