“Convenient to main attrations”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #124 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is convenient to most attractions and the train station. The rooms a clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and helpful when needed. The restaurant makes a great breakfast with a great view to go with it. If I come back ill use this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

James Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (2,500)

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is one of the best situated hotels in Edinburgh. Unfortunately it needs a complete refurbishment. We booked a two night stay 25th and 26th June through Booking.com. We asked specifically for a Princes Street facing room and breakfast to be added to our booking since I forgot to do this at the time. We were told Booking.com would ask the hotel. I received an e-mail next day to say my requests had been granted and the room request would have no extra charge. When we checked in the receptionist (a blond Scottish lady) had no knowledge of our breakfast request but did arrange it. We went to our room (645) and found it facing the back of the hotel with views out on to pipes, machinery and what looked like boilers or something. I went back to reception and was told by the same receptionist that because we didn't pay for a Castle facing room none were available. I did not like her attitude it left a lot to be desired for a front of house member of staff. I showed her the e-mail I received on my iPad saying my room and breakfast requests had been granted but she was not interested. The room was too warm and very noisy from the machinery outside. The carpets throughout the hotel were tired and looked like they needed cleaned. We found and nearly tripped over a length of copper piping in one of the corridors. The furniture in the bar area was dirty looking. The food at breakfast was average although the croissants are delicious. This may all sound negative but the hotel does have good points. The situation is fantastic. Most of the staff, bar staff, restaurant staff, room cleaning girls and receptionist when we checked out were lovely. All in all because of the location we would stay here again but only if we could be guaranteed a front facing room.

Room Tip: Ask for Castle facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I will address your concerns with the team and hope you return to us in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

When I began to write the review for this hotel I noticed the 'Professional Photos". I had to double check that this was in fact the correct hotel....and it was. I don't know what rooms they took pictures of but our room was nothing like the pictures. Since I had not been to the city in years I had totally forgotten how walkable it is. I mistakenly thought I needed a central hotel located near everything which was a huge mistake. It is a very short walk from the train station, the castle, and many other sights which is great but the hotel made our overall trip there a huge downer. The person travelling with me was really put off by the room and his mood was visibly changed. I thought about changing hotels but the reservation was prepaid and I figured we could just make the best of it rather than argue with the front desk staff which were not very pleasant or professional to begin with. First, when you walk in the hotel it always smelled terribly of cigarette smoke. Our room was very tiny even by European standards. The tiny twin beds were very uncomfortable not to mention the phone book pillows they had. I figured it would be pointless to ask for down pillows so I didn't waste my breath. There was no real room to store our luggage so we had to walk over it to get to the bathroom, beds etc. There was a small wardrobe with the back falling out of it that was large enough to store a few small bags but that was it. The bathroom was tiny and looked like it had never been updated. The floor just seemed dirty and made us not want to walk barefoot in the room or bathroom. The TV must have been left over from the 80s. Our view was of the roof and all sorts of vents and who knows what. The room was fairly quiet. The only distracting noise was listening to the final call at Marks and Spencer. Having Marks and Spencer right next door was the only highlight to staying at this hotel. If you like staying at an old worn out cheap motel from the 1970s then this is the place for you. There are so many great places to stay and it doesn't matter if you are in Old or New Town. I wish someone would have told me before I booked this place. You'd be better off going to Hotwire and picking a highly rated hotel. It would probably cost less and you wouldn't be subjected to staying at a less than pleasant hotel . I will never return to this hotel and doubt I will ever stay at the Mercure chain again.

Room Tip: Just stay someplace else! This is a very walkable town so don't settle for this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your comments.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2014

What a lovely welcome we had when we arrived at the Mercure.We had never been to the city so we were unsure of the best buses to take; Ross on the front desk answered all of our questions, and was both patient and knowledgeable.
The room was comfortable, nicely decorated and we had an amazing view over the castle. Breakfast was brilliant, with everything from fresh fruit and cereals to hot food. The location couldn't have been better; five minutes from Waverley train station, ten minutes’ walk to the old town. I would definitely stay here again, and highly recommend it to anyone wanting a decent Edinburgh base.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and with share your comments with the Ross and the team.
I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We love this hotel. We cannot complain about it. The location is just right for us - no taxi involved in getting from the railway station to our accomodation.
Staff all very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is fantastic - lots of choices.

Room Tip: Our latest stay was in room 451. Nice and quiet. Not exactly scenic view out of the window but the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at the Mercure in early June of this year We will never be returning, the price we paid for one night in a below standard room was shocking. The room was small and rather tired. There was a smell in bathroom and the view was poor from room.
Breakfast was a disaster....chilled fruit was warm, buffet breakfast was cold and quality was poor. The cutlery hasd seen better days and should be binned.
My breakfast was coffee.....rather expensive coffee at £200 for a night.
Only plus was the view of Princess Street as I drank my coffee.
We will mot be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The welcome by the reception staff was first class .having returned to the city after our honeymoon 50 years ago we were up graded to a room overlooking the castle & gardens
The Mercure Hotel is situated in the centre of Princes Street ideal for shopping & sightseeing.
The breakfast was excellent and the dining room overlooks the Castle & Gardens . we dining in the restaurant in the evening the food was very good and the staff always pleasant.
The Hotel is ideal if you arrive in Edinburgh by public transport as you cannot drive to the hotel entrance as Princes Street has limited access to public transport & taxis. It is only 200yds from Waverley Station

Room Tip: Essential to have a room overlooking the castle & gardens
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geo099
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us again 50 years after your first visit.
I am pleased the team provided you with an upgrade and made your stay enjoyable.
I hope to welcome you back again in the future.