“Good location”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #125 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Last month We had spent 2days in edinburgh.we chose mercure for our stay .we really enjoyed the atmophere of mercure hotel.there was no delay in check in procedure.the staffs were very friendly and helpful.but we have a small complaint about your breakfast.it was the same menu on all the three days.so you should try to improve your daily breakfast menu.the room ,bed spread and the bathroom were well organised and well cleaned.

Room Tip: Take castle view rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.
I have noted your comments about breakfast and will look in to this.

Kind Regards,

James Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Great location...in fact for accessing restaurants, sights etc you can't get any better,

On our return from a dinner in area we plumped for a pudding in the dining room. My chocolate salted caramel torte was to die for!!!

The downers sadly was quality of the bed in the room. The mattress was well past its sell by date and I could feel the springs through the bedding. Although staff try to arrange a room swap the hotel was so full they could not oblige. Sadly, I had no other option but to accept a duvet as additional mattress covering to try and make bed more comfortable. The next day however I was left with walking round edinburgh with a sore and achy back. Not ideal.

Overall good visit but the bed really let hotel down!

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Edinburgh. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the mattress, which we are addressing.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great hotel for location, book a room at the front for the view. Food good, great breakfasts. Beware of reception staff, no customer service at all. Also make sure that you are getting the correct package for your room,had the movie package but were told we didnt so had to show them the booking reciept! Staff in restaurant brilliant!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. I have noted your comments about the tv package and I am sorry for the confusion. We have addressed this to ensure it does not happen again.
I have addressed your concerns with the Head Receptionist about the Front Office staff.

I hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Unfortunately this was the only hotel available for me on a recent trip to Edinburgh. I wasn't expecting much, having never stayed in a mercury before, however, what I was greeted with was a very tired and underwhelming hotel.

The staff were very pleasant but the room was cramped and dirty and in desperate need of a lick of paint.

The bathroom looked dirty and didn't fill me with confidence.

I had a terrible view of some machinery of an adjoining building and the amenities were not brilliant.

Breakfast was mediocre but I didn't try the dinner menu.

All in all I will try my hardest to steer clear on my next visit to what is otherwise a delightful city.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your comments accordingly.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a middle of the road hotel that just needs a good manager with attention to detail to project it way up in the popularity stakes. The location is brilliant with some of the best views in Edinburgh; the building seems fine.

However the staff just don't seem to care enough. So, for example the person sitting me down for breakfast insisted on me sitting in a dingy place behind a screen far away from the self-service set-up, when there were plenty of empty nice tables at the window with spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle.

Likewise, in my room, the shower fitting was loose on the wall - it needed just ten minutes of handyman to sort it - and the hairdryer rear cover was loose so anyone with long hair risked a nasty accident having their hair ingested - again sorting it would take minutes. The WiFi system refused to log me in because it said there wasn't a guest in the room I was in (I only needed it for a few minutes so I used my phone instead).

At Reception I dropped my rail pass which of course has my photo and name on it - although Reception knew I was returning to my room, no one called me in my room - I only found out when by chance I returned my room key in person (vs posting it in the post box).

Even the online booking process was a mess as three times after inputting all my information it refused to take my payment, then the fourth time told me the room type I wanted was no longer available, so I had to input everything again the fourth time for a room with three beds before I could book. (However reading others' experience perhaps this was a blessing - I got a room a the front, with those nice views, that was very quiet.)

This last issue probably had nothing to do with the Edinburgh manager, however it all contributes to a 'don't care' image. It's all such a pity because the hotel location is so good: it has so much going for it potentially.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are nicely located for views and noise level
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk to discuss this further.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel was very clean and efficient. I particularly liked its convenience to the train station. We would stay there again. The room was extremely comfortable. The staff was most helpful. The only thing I dislked was the automated woman's voice in the elevator.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great location right on princes street but rooms at back of hotel very noisy. Whatever the units are heating or air conditioning nightmare drowning out my telly so noisy. Tried to get a change of room but no chance as hotel to busy. Make sure when you book you ask for a room at the front when booking. Otherwise good city hotel comfortable food pretty good. Breakfast lovely lots of choice and view of princes st and castle unbeatable. Only other issue I had was TV channel package very poor for a city hotel half my channels didn't work and tv continually froze on me. Other positive staff very friendly and helpfull

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. We can assure you that the issue you encountered with the TV is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards