“Great location!”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #120 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here for a family birthday. I was staying on my own so choose the smaller room. It did the job and bed was comfy. View was of a office block, but as I say, it served it's purpose. Bathroom a little dated. My parents stayed in the room view a view of the castle and they loved it; view has the wow factor.

My only gripe is the staff at breakfast were slow and not very attentive.

The best bit about the hotel is definitely the location. It's perfect for a short city break as everything is walking distance and near the bus stop if you get the bus to and from the station. Would recommend on that basis.

• Stayed: August 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased to read that you and your parents enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and found the first impression of the hotel quite appalling. Was greeted by a sullen lady by the name of Christina who was rude, unhelpful and seems annoyed we were there! We were very put off by this and spoke to the manager, Dominic later when we checked in who was apologetic and made us feel a bit better. However, the room we were given 470 had an awful view and the TV was not working well but we were too tired to complain. Apart from that, room was spacious and had all the facilities but tend to get hot in the room. Thankfully a fan was provided. Check out was slow with mistakes over breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for yourfeedback and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. From what you have described we have fallen well short of the standard I expect. Christina seems to have acted out of character on this occasion as the normal feedback describes her as friendly and helpful. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations and would like to welcome you back in the future as I hope this has not marred your impression of us.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights while in Edinburgh celebrating our wedding anniversary, on arrival we got a box of chocolates & a card from the hotel staff. I was very impressed by this gesture. Bedroom was spotless couldnt find fault with anything. Staff on reception very friendly & welcoming especially the gentleman that checked us in. Hotel is in very central location with superb views of the castle & city. Would have no hesitation in highly recommending this hotel to family& friends.

• Stayed: September 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic providing easy access to all the attractions, shops and restaurants. The restaurant and bar affords an excellent view of the castle. Breakfast was OK but could have been hotter. Our room 653 had an awful view of a fire escape and the mattress was too soft. The bathroom looks tired and there was just nowhere to put anything! All staff were pleasant, helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Don't have room 653
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectation. I am pleased to read that you found all, the staff helpful and polite and the location excellent for you needs.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I will share this with the team.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

kind Regards

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed for two nights .hotel is in a great location on Princes St. Room clean and comfy but very hot .. had a room on the back which was very quiet..staff are lovely .Breakfast was fantastic .only downside was nowhere to park when you first check in .. have to park at Waverley Station and get the staff at the hotel to swipe your parking ticket on checkout ..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I will share your comments with the team.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one week in August 2013. The hotel itself is in an unbelievably good location, with fantastic views of Edinburgh Castle and Scott Monument if you get a south-facing room (as I did). The rooms themselves are quite modern and well-decorated, and the beds are quite comfortable.

Amenities such as shower gel/shampoo/tea and coffee are included as you'd expect in a hotel at this price point. The TV, though, is quite poor. It is quite small, the software is slow, and it shows only the bare minimum of channels. Films are also incredibly overpriced (you'd pay less for a cinema ticket). The "free" WiFi is incredibly slow (as they want you to pay extra for the "fast" version), and I actually reverted back to mobile internet as it was more than twice as fast. I didn't upgrade to the faster WiFi though, so I can't comment on it's quality.

The major downside of this hotel is the towel rail in the bathroom. It is permanently switched on hot, and cannot be switched off or have the temperature lowered (even by the staff). Even when the bathroom door is firmly closed, this does not prevent the rail from heating up the room to an uncomfortable level. I imagine this is fine during the winter months, but on a hot night in August it can get very unpleasant. The window can be opened, and does a good job of cooling the room, but this is at the cost of the loud noises from Princes Street keeping you awake, even on the higher floors. A fan was provided, but this was ineffective at keeping the room cool. Also, having to run an electric fan to cool down the deliberately-heated room removes any credibility from the hotel's attempt at being "green" (with their please-reuse-your-towels policy).

The staff at the hotel are pleasant and polite, particularly the restaurant staff who are very chatty and knowledgeable about the local area (I lived in Edinburgh for a year, so I can tell when people are being genuine about the city). The front desk staff were also quite helpful when I had a complaint (my shower wouldn't run cold - I needed one to cool off from the sauna-like temperature of the room). An engineer was sent to my room within 30 minutes, and although she couldn't fix the problem, I was offered an alternative room.

The restaurant serves good food, and although it is a little on the expensive side for what you get, the views of Princes Street more than make up for it (ask for a window seat when you're being seated!). The breakfast is buffet style, and provides plenty of choice (the quality of the breakfast was great).

Overall, I would probably not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Edinburgh for more than a couple of nights, particularly in summer. The main selling point of the hotel is the views, and if you want a good nights sleep, you're going to have to forego them for a back room anyway.

Room Tip: North-facing rooms are quiet, but have no views. South-facing rooms have beautiful views, but are in...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I have taken your comments on board about the towel rails.
I will share your feedback with the team and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here on a group tour with friends. Arrived in Edinburgh, tidied up, then met up for cocktails in the bar. Drinks were good, bar service a little dicey, which, to be fair, is usually the case with Americans ordering drinks in a foreign bar, but okay. The lounge was lovely with a beautiful view of Edinburgh castle, which was delightful. The food was good, wait staff attentive and friendly, easy walk to lots of great attractions and shopping. Rooms were clean and nice, bathrooms included. Great place to stay for an Edinburgh visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

James Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Hotel Indigo Edinburgh - Princes Street
#67 of 150 in Edinburgh
Travelodge Edinburgh Central Princes Street
New Town
Ibis Styles Edinburgh Centre St Andrew Square

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!