“Great location!”

Ranked #120 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Toronto, Canada
“Great location!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently stayed in the Mercure Edinburgh Princes Street and loved the room! It had an amazing view of Edinburgh Castle and old Edinburgh! It is walking distance to great shopping, a lovely park across the street, as well as to Old Edinburgh and the castle on the Royal Mile Road. Nice restaurant and dining area with a view of the castle too.The only negatives I would mention were that the Reception desk was on the 2nd floor and there were only 2 small elevators, so we used the stairs a fair amount. There was also a fair amount of road work happening at night when there was no traffic so the noise level from the street never seemed to end. However that was not the fault of the hotel. Staff were for the most part attentive and helpful. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay window facing the castle for more space and a beautiful view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a positive review. I am glad you enjoyed the views of our beautiful city and found the hotel ideally located for your visit.

I am pleased to read you will return and I look forward to welcoming you.

James Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed June 17, 2013

the location is excellent, people are nice , it's clean but room are so little we had to pay 50£ more to have a place to put our luggage and it was not so cheap, we were a week before at radisson blue on royal mile , it was best

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valued feedback.
We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously as they can help us improve our product and service delivery.

I hope to welcome you back the Mercure Edinburgh again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed in the Mercure Edinburgh City for a three night break and would certainly stay again on a return visit on the basis of its adequate accomodation, great location and reasonable price.

The hotel's location was perfect for our needs as we spent most of our time on this trip visiting nearby locations such as Linlithgow and Stirling, with easy access to the railway (five minutes walk away) the most important consideration in our choice of hotel. The direct lift from street level to the accomodation floors was also much appreciated after a long day out.

Our room on the second floor faced the unglamourous rear of the hotel which was fine for us as we hadn't intended to spend much time in our room. Nevertheless, it was great to get the terrific view of the castle from the restaurant each morning.

The room was perfectly comfortable, if a little dated, but the bathroom was the weak point in the set up - particularly the toilet which never flushed easily.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with such kind feedback.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the location ideal for your visit.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Edinburgh in the future.

Kind Regards

Chicago
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel is in a supreme location and if you are higher up on the street side, the view is rather amazing. It's a bit tired looking and in need of renovation and A/C. This is going to get long and windy because I want whoever reads these reviews for Mercure Princes Street to understand that at least one of their front desk staff needs better training in human relations and that first impressions color entire stays. When I arrived (we were pre-checked in by our tour group some hours before my arrival) and went up to my room, I discovered I was on the second floor just above the main entrance. There were guests smoking on the sidewalk below and they might as well have been smoking in my room as the windows were not sealed well at all. I spent only a few minutes in the room and realized that between the smokers and the idling buses at the bus stop just outside that I would have a less than optimal stay. I went to the front desk and asked if I might have a room change and was told that they were fully booked and I was stuck where I was. Very disappointing. I had resigned myself to this and went to visit some of my fellow travelers who were staying on the seventh floor. It was already nearing 9pm and we were hanging out on the balcony that is shared by five or six of the seventh floor rooms which were all occupied by my friends with the exception of one room that was obviously unoccupied. They encouraged me to return to the front desk and ask if that room was available. I did so and the same clerk stared at me as if I'd spoken a language she didn't understand and then without saying a word started poking at her computer keyboard. After a minute or so passed with absolutely no indication of whether she was still helping me or had dismissed me wordlessly, I asked again if she could check to see if that room was available. She said again that everyone had checked in and they were fully booked. I pointed out that if everyone had checked in then there was indeed a room still available on the seventh floor. She sighed heavily, picked up a stack of papers and disappeared into an office behind the desk. Meanwhile, a cheery fellow who was also standing behind the desk said that he'd go up and take a look at the room. He said he was just a bellman and couldn't do much beyond checking it out. The woman reappeared and he told her that he'd go take a look for her. This motivated her to slightly increased action and she told me that the room I was asking about was for a single. I pointed out to her that I was a single and that a single bed would be perfect for me. Then she said the room had no access to the balcony. I told her that it made no difference to me as all my friends had rooms attached to the balcony and that I had access through their rooms. She came up with at least three other reasons why I should stay put and I continued to reassure her that all I wanted was to get away from the smoke and that the room on the seventh floor looked quite adequate to me. Meanwhile, the young man who had gone to check the room reappeared and told her that the room was indeed unoccupied (which they already knew because there is no way he would got and knock on someone's door so late to check if anyone is there). This seemed to make her even more surly and she, without saying one word, went back to the keyboard. The bellman and I just looked at one another and shrugged and waited her out. She finally produced a new key and then told the bellman to check the room I was leaving as if I might have gone in there and messed it all up even though I had assured her that the moment I walked in and discovered the smokiness, I had gone straight to the desk to inquire about a room change. Anyway - it was getting close to 9:30pm by the time I was able to relax in my new and very adequate room that was almost exactly the same as the room I had just left with a large full sized bed and far enough away from the street that I didn't have to deal with the smoke. I was quite satisfied. The view was lovely and I was thrilled to be on the same floor as many of my friends and we had a great time out on the shared balcony enjoying the rare sunny weather and views of the old city and the castle over the days of our stay. The rooms (and I saw several) are all rather small and tight and also very warm but clean and neat. Tip: If your street-side room has no fan when you check in, ask for one immediately because the lowering sun will heat it up. They don't have enough for every room (what?) and if the sun is shining, your room will get very warm. It was around 17° outside but much warmer in the guest rooms. Even on the seventh floor, the noise of idling buses, trains and people on the sidewalk is quite loud - the hotel needs to replace their windows with thicker glass and better seals. Fortunately, the smoke from the sidewalk did not travel all the way up to the seventh floor. The bed is the typical incredibly hard and lumpy bed that I've found in every Mercure hotel. The plumbing is such that I had to flush the toilet several times before it would work adequately. I tried everything from a quick flush to holding down the handle and it only cooperated 1 out of four times. On the bright side, there was a strong and free Wifi signal in my room. The view was great. The breakfast area was large with plenty of seating and a great selection of hot and cold foods. The bellman was sweet and I wish I'd gotten both his name and the one of the surly gal at the desk to put in this review but alas, I was remiss. It was the evening of May 24, 2013 if that helps HR at all. The location obviously is just about the best with incredible views of the old city and the castle (did I already say that - it's worth repeating) and easy walking distance to nearly all you want to see while in Edinburgh. In spite of the amazing location I would not return to the Mercure Princes Street unless absolutely nothing else was available. I'm not sure about the rest of the front desk staff, but the woman who was at the desk on the evening of May 24 needs to have a job that does not involve working directly with guests. I'm considered a really nice easy-going person and very patient (the bellman could attest to this if he remembers the situation and he might because it was so bizarre). This woman simply had no interest in being helpful and made it quite clear that she really had better things to do than assisting the guests of this hotel to have a more enjoyable stay. I see from other reviews that the front desk staff has made a less than stellar impression. First impressions are important and having this young lady assisting guests leaves us wanting at the very least, a smile. The Mercure could do so much to make this hotel one of the best in Edinburgh because they already have a great start with location. I would give it four stars and say that if you are a heavy sleeper you actually might really enjoy this hotel. But because of first impressions that start with the woman at the front desk, I have given the Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street only two stars. It's too bad. I'm returning to Edinburgh in October for a wedding but I will not be staying at the Mercure.

Room Tip: If your room has no fan - ask for one right away - if the sun is out, you will need it. The street s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

James Fraser

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great location. The front desk staff need extra training while dealing with guest. The Hotel manager is cheerful and helpful, great manager. The bathroom is back aged and the room does not include a abridge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Edinburgh. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We are grateful for the feedback which we always review when making changes and improvements.

I hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh in the future.

Scotland
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as part of a recent business trip. The location is impressive, particularly for access to shops and main tourist attractions. The room I had was compact but was clean. The check- in experience wasn't great and very little was said which felt strange. On the whole I would stay here again due to the location and price which was very reasonable.

• Stayed June 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with valued feedback.
We appreciate all guest reviews as it enables us to improve our product and service delivery.

I am pleased to read you will return and I look forward to welcoming you.

glasgow
Reviewed June 11, 2013

this hotel has 2 good features the view if u get a castle view and location thts it!!!
ok reception dont seem to be able to handle 2 guests at once checking in and they have a a speedy check in aye rite lol.
now the room you have to be 5ft to have a shower or the guests tht mainly stay here are the dwarfs tht do the christmas panto and then their is the pillows go as flat as a square sausage it ridiclous u dont get a sleep atall

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.

I hope to welcome you back again in the future.