“I would give it 7/10 if I could”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #125 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great location, which was the main objective I was going for. On Prince's Street itself, I came in to Edinburgh via train, and will be leaving by airplane. 5 minute walk to Waverley Station, and less to the bus stop for the Airlink.

The room was quite satisfactory, though the real selling point was the view, which I feel was worth the premium. An unobstructed view of the castle, Scot's Monument, and the gardens. Fortunately the weather has been stunning - I was very lucky!

Room amenities could perhaps be a bit better. The showerhead is too low (I am 6' tall) and although the showerhead was in theory adjustable, it was broken and did not stay at the angle you wanted it. In effect this meant that I had to hold it while squatting to wash my hair.

The television is quite small, which I guess I was surprised by. They provide the basic free channels.

The free WIFI connection is very slow (quoted at 256k, but not), and they offer pay options for 'up to 2mb'. At 8 pounds per day this wasn't too bad I guess, but I have been amazed in general how few places in the UK offer decent, free, high speed wifi - particularly when you are already a paying customer. One frustration was that when I logged in the first time to download emails, I selected the free option. Later in the evening I wanted to pay to upgrade the speed. This was not immediately obvious how I could do this, and I call reception for assistance. The reception staffer was not particularly helpful on my first call saying that I could not upgrade. I called back a little later to ask specifically for IT to reset my connection to the WIFI so that I could then activate a paid service. A different reception staffer coldly informed me that this was not something they would do, and I would have to wait 24 hours until I could change my wifi connection. Not only is this quite a backwards process, there was definitely no communication from Mercure staff that 'the customer is always right'. Disappointing, but not the end of the world I guess.

I had room service one evening, and it was quite expensive for the quality of the food - though the lentil soup was quite tasty.

Overall at over 150 pounds a night my summary would be that the view and location are excellent, however the service and amenities are not what I would expect at this price point. If the latter are not a major concern then it is a fairly good option for a New Town stay.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for the castle view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Edinburgh. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comment about the service and the wifi and I will be addressing these as a matter of urgency.

James Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights on a first visit to Edinburgh. I feel this was a good value for money experience. The rooms were as we expected for the rating of the hotel. Service was very good, staff friendly and very accommodating, especially at the breakfast service. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights and the view of the old town was beautiful. The room was small but comfortable. The only problem was that the room was quite warm at night and with the window open, it was so noisy with traffic noise and yelling that we could not sleep. There was a fan, but it would only push around the warm air. This is a place that would greatly benefit from air conditioning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh.
With the lovely weather we have been having, it has been warm in the hotel.
We do provide fans in all our rooms for guest comfort but we are looking at other alternatives.
We hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've just come home after a weekend at the Mecure Edinburgh city Princess St hotel. The hotel had no car parking but Waverley station car park is very close. Situated next to Jenners the hotel is well placed for local shops and restaurants as well as city centre attractions. The local buses stop outside so it is easy to get around. We stayed there as we were taking part in the Edinburgh marathon and it was only a short walk to the start and the same distance from the bus drop off point on the return. The hotel did cater for runners that morning serving porridge and bananas up to an hour before normal breakfast time. The rooms were quite small but comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. Free wi fi is available in the hotel including the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Some rooms were available with a balcony and castle view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carole B
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh and found the hotel ideal for your needs.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Arrived early Sunday afternoon and were quickly checked in. We had paid the extra for a castle view and this was worth it especially at night when everything was lit up. The room was large and shower good although the bathroom was a little small.

Bed was comfy but two singles pushed together and not a double. Was a little noisy as think the buses ran all night. It is in a great location just a few minutes from Waverley railway station and where the airlink bus from the airport drops you off . Its also a good place to start a walk around the city, up to Calton Hill, down to Holyrood and the parliament then up the Royal Mile to the castle.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room above the 4th floor and this will be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review.
I am glad you enjoyed the views of our beautiful city and found the hotel ideally located for your visit.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in Mercure Edinburgh City hotel in May, while i was in Edinburgh for business and except the location being on princes street, there was not much good to add. even the location is not great if you have heavy luggage. the street is closed to traffic for road works and you have to wheel your luggage a bit. The moment you enter the hotel, you feel and out dated and 80s atmosphere. The receiption is 1 floor up. the staff were nice and friendly but I would not rate this more than 3 out of 5 either.
In the room, rear facing (which is better if you want to have a half desent sleep at night) the bathroom was too small, furniture although clean they were dated. and the mattress was too soft.
All in all, i would not recommend staying in this hotel. for the same cost you can probably stay in another hotel one street to the north (George Street).

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel, but if you really have to get this hotel, ask for a room NOT facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ScubaDiver1976
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and value your feedback.