The Scotsman Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$503
$407
$208
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$161
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$227
$214
$151
$126
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$126
$185
$168
Travelocity
2,655 results
All reviewsscotsman newspapernorth bridge brasserieprivacy hatchroyal miletrain stationmarket streethealth clubdeluxe roombeautiful hotelsteam roommini baran upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomcentral locationcalton hillprincess street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We have stayed at the Scotsman several times before and it was very disappointing to see how standards have declined as much as the prices have increased. No valet parking. No young Scottish gents in tartan greeting you as you entered the building. No Scottish welcome. Although we are members of the Leaders Club (LHW) we received no recognition thereof and our somewhat small room, although with a fine view, was dated and in need of refurb.The windows were a disgrace and steamed up the whole time. The bathroom was tiny and the previous full sized bottles of Molton Brown toiletries have given way to cheap and nasty small ones from Arran Aromatics. Towels were few and far between, though of reasonable quality.
Dinner in the Brasserie was very good and the service not too bad as we were in no hurry. However, the "a la carte" breakfast is hardly bursting at the seams with choice, offering only 4 warmish dishes including an oversized bacon roll. A 5 star hotel should be able to do better. I ordered Eggs Benedict and was promptly told that sadly they had no proper muffins! The buffet is adequate but no more than that.
The lights in the swimming pool area were not working properly and nor was the Tropicarium. The new Vermillon lounge was like the Marie Celeste (ie deserted by guests and staff alike) and the computer for guest use outside the lounge rarely worked during our short stay.
Sadly, unless standards improve we will need to consider elsewhere next time.
Finally, we had booked our stay to coincide with Saint Andrew's day. Had it not been for the view, we could have been anywhere in the world. Only on check-out did I meet an employee from Scotland!! The Scotsman is certainly not well named these days.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

Thank you very much for your recent email regarding your stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

I am pleased to see that you have stayed with us on several occasions but it concerns me that our service and standards did not meet your expectations. The valet parking that you have commented on was a service that we have not provided in the last 3 years; we felt that with many of our guests travelling by air or rail our concierge services would be utilised better within the hotel and although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman.

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today we were able to keep the well recognised, distinguished and reputable name of the newspaper.
With regards to your comments about the nationality of our staff we do not discriminate in our employment of any staff, Scottish or otherwise; all staff are trained to the highest standards as well as receiving regular ongoing coaching sessions. Clearly on the occasion of your visit we did not perform to our usual high standards and I would like to apologise for this.
In the bathrooms we have recently changed our toiletries selection on the back of guest’s recommendations and we now use the Highlands Aromatics brands; as this is a local Scottish brand we felt that it fitted in with the hotel more so than the English Molton Brown Collections.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart has recently joined us from the Old Course hotel in St Andrew’s; Paul is in the process of introducing new menus to the restaurant including changing the breakfast buffet. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the food and hope that if you return to the Scotsman you will experience Paul’s new menus.
Following the comments you have made about the swimming pool lights I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara who has been and checked all lights and bulbs and found no faults. The lighting in the pool has been designed to create a relaxed haven within the stainless steel pool area, I do appreciate that this may not be to everyone’s tastes.
The Tropicarium has unfortunately been out of use for much longer than originally anticipated; we have been looking into a complete refurbishment of this facility as the initial component that caused the room to be out of order was no longer made to our Tropicarium’s requirements. The current situation with this facility is that our contractor has been and fitted the part today and following some maintenance checks the Tropicarium will be operational from tomorrow; but I do appreciate that this is of no comfort to you and I am sorry you were not able to use this facility during your stay.
The new Vermillion Lounge was introduced in September and has proven very popular with our guests; we have found that a lot of our residents use it particularly for afternoon teas and relaxed nightcaps in addition to many “laptop” meetings throughout the day. Staff are always on hand via the phone in the lounge to serve drinks and snacks and for general assistance. With regards to the Business Centre provided, there have been problems with the server and network provider, however my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe has worked with to rectify this and this is now up and running once again. I am sorry that this was not available to you during your stay; in the interim we did arrange full and confidential internet and printing facilities for all of our guests at reception.
I am sorry that you feel that our hotel should be staffed solely by Scottish nationalities; as I have said above we do not discriminate on any grounds with the recruitment of our staff and with the diverse international guests that visit the Scotsman on a regular basis I believe that every member of our staff regardless of nationality contribute positively to the giving our guests a true 5 star “Scotsman” experience.
Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me or Andrew directly to allow us to assist you with your reservation. I look forward possibly to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

This is a good hotel in a great location. The suite we had was nice. The hotel has a lovely pool and sauna area. The gym equipment is a little dated and could do with an upgrade. The food in the restaurant was good but the service really let it down. The restaurant was not busy but we had to wait an age for our order to be taken, wine and food to arrive.

This is not a cheap hotel and there is room for improvement!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our Spa facilities and had an opportunity to experience Scotland’s first stainless steel swimming pool and our sauna. With regards to the gym equipment my Leisure Club Manager, Chris Allan has a regular maintenance program in place to ensure that our 60 station gym is always 100% operational. We endeavor to keep our equipment as up to date as possible and I would like to apologise that the facilities did not meet with your expectations.
Following the comments you have made about the service in the restaurant I have spoken to my Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart and my Assistant Brasserie Manager, Danilo Colandrea who both hold regular training session with all staff. They have already passed these comments on to the staff and I am sorry that the service was not at the efficient standard at which we pride ourselves.
I can offer you an assurance that our accommodation is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre hotels in Edinburgh; we always aim to give our guest’s a true 5 star “Scotsman” experience during their stay and I’m sorry this was not achieved for yourself.

Should you decide to visit Edinburgh in the future and you choose the Scotsman please contact me or my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe directly to allow us to assist with your reservation.

I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed November 27, 2010

I recently stayed at the Scotsman for two days and am not quite sure what to make of it. It's a perfectly nice hotel, just compared to other 5-star hotels I've stayed in, it lacked a little something...
Staff were friendly and very helpful, reception is pleasant and the room was nice. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and again, the staff were very friendly and the food was nice.
A few niggles got in the way however:
If you send champagne up to a room, you should probably make sure there's some champagne glasses in the room too...
I would expect a 5-star hotel to have decent aircon. I'm sure there's some valid reason why The Scotsman can't install aircon but it's still inconvenient- our room was way too hot.
The chap who came to help us sort out the temperature in the room was not an awful lot of help unfortunately. He was keen to help and polite but didn't seem to know what to do and was surprised when I pointed out a thermostat on the wall and asked him if it worked. Staff need to know the rooms very well and know how to sort out things like temperature, etc.
There was no storage for the ironing board so it was just left leaning against the wall in our room. Not a great look, especially for one of their suites.
One of my absolute pet hates in a hotel- why is there only one towel-hook in the bathroom? Do they expect us to share a single towel?
Here's an idea- if you offer chips on the menu in the restaurant, why not serve chips? Undercooked potato wedges don't quite cut it.
The cooked breakfast was 'acceptable' rather than really nice.
The 'tradesman's entrance', you come in from the car-park really doesn't set the right tone. First impressions and all that.

We had a lovely time in Edinburgh and I would consider staying at the The Scotsman again. They offer some very good deals, but there are other hotels I'd stay in just as well.
In general, the hotel was nice but unfortunately it just didn't have the 'wow factor', which I would expect from a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart has recently joined us from the Old Course Hotel in St Andrew’s and has been adding his own unique Scottish mark to our menus. I have passed on your comments about the breakfast and the “undercooked” chips to Paul and his brigade. This is not the 5 star service which we pride ourselves on and I am sorry that you felt the food was mostly “acceptable” as opposed to “really nice.”
You are correct in your assumption that Champagne glasses should have been supplied to accompany your bottle and I would like to apologise that these were not given to you. I have spoken to my Assistant Manager, Tracey Eyre regarding this; Tracey holds regular training sessions throughout the hotel and will ensure this is rectified for the future.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. Unfortunately due to the hotel being a historically listed building we are unable to have air conditioning fitted.

I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. I would like to apologise that our Porter was not able to assist you with rectifying the heating level; I have spoken to my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe about this and he will carry out extra familiarisation sessions with our Porter team.

In the majority of our suites the ironing board would normally be stored in the wardrobe however because of the originality of the shape of some of our suites unfortunately this is not always possible. In this instance we have tried to store the ironing board in a way that it does not intrude into your space. I have asked my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle to check the room you stayed in and ensure that the ironing board has been stored as it should be.

The “tradesmen’s entrance” that you have referred to is our Market Street entrance, this is a secondary entrance to the hotel as a convenience for rail travelling guests who can very easily exit Waverley station and make a quick entrance into the hotel; as opposed to having a 4-5 minute walk or taxi ride to our main entrance on North Bridge.

We always aim to give our guests a true 5 star Scotsman experience during their stay and I hope that you will return and afford us the opportunity to redeem our good name. I look forward to possibly welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed November 26, 2010

I booked the Scotsman through laterooms.com at a very reasonable rate. I was a bit worried about its low ranking on tripadvisor, which based on my stay I really can't understand. Edinburgh was very short of visitors when we were there,and the hotel seemed fairly empty, which I think accounted for the fact that we were given a free upgrade to a suite- superb accommodation, couldn't fault anything about it.The bed and pillows were particularly comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The situation of the .hotel is very convenient. On my next visit to Edinburgh I don't intend to check out any other hotels, I'll just book th eScotsman- though I don't expect my room will be so good next time!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
As you have said we are in an excellent location on the edge of the old town of Edinburgh and within only a couple of minutes walk to Princes Street, the Iconic Edinburgh Castle and the famous Royal Mile.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews, the fact that you will be returning to stay with us again is an added bonus.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed November 26, 2010

Hotel was being worked on the outside but it didnt take away the beauty of the hotel at all. From the moment of arrival staff were very helpful from the door man to the reception, they showed us were the room was and carried our bag also gave us a tour of both the room and hotel. Can't fault the staff what so ever. The hotel room was even nicer than we imagined it was lovely the view from our window wasnt great but the room more than made up for it. Plenty of space in the room and the wadrobes etc. Bathroom was stunning. Hairdryer and iron were already in our room which ws fantastic as it saved having to take anything like that. Location of hotel was fantastic right bang in he middle of edinburgh 2 min walk from waverly train station and also reduced rates for the parking in waverly station parking we were only £5 for the over night stay which was great compared to the other car parks around. 5 min walk to left was princes street with all the shopping u ever need and also the big shopping mall, then 5 min walk to the right of the hotel and your on the Royal fantastic location only 10 min walk to the castle. Overall we had a great stay and definetly will be returning to this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record such a positive review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
The work that you have mentioned on the outside of the hotel is actually an extensive renovation program on the Scotsman steps that run down the side of the hotel building; this is being jointly undertaken by Edinburgh City Council and Historic Scotland, I am please to see that you agree it doesn’t detract from the beauty of the Scotsman hotel.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
As you have mentioned we are situated in an enviable position on the edge of the Royal Mile and old town of Edinburgh, whilst being less than a couple of minutes walk to the hub of Princes Street.
It is always a pleasure to hear our much our guest’s enjoyed their stay and that you will be returning is an added bonus.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future