“very unhappy”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We booked a suite in this hotel and were disapointed form start to finish . The girl at reception was friendly but gave us no real help with regards to best lift to use when parking the car or did we get any real help with luggage. There is no valet parking which surely as a so called" leading hotel of the world" could be expected . We have stayed in the Balmoral in the past and were treated like VIPs .This hotel needs to rethink its welcome as just asking questions about where you are from isn't really helpful.
The suite was strange all very dark and manly with small windows . The problems here were the bed , which was very short and my husbands feet were hanging over the edge.There was a high pitched noise coming from the TV while switched off or the air conditioning which went on all night . The cleaning was not up to standard either an empty bottle of champage and a glass were left for 2 days . The bathroom was nice but very narrow with hardly any room between the wall and the bath .This was all very disapointing as we were on our honeymoon and expected much better. We will not be returning. We did explain this on our arrival.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you very much for your recent review regarding your stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

It is disappointing to hear that the service you received from our reception team was not up to your expectations and the information you received was not as comprehensive as you would have liked. I will be sure to speak to my Front of House Manager and ask him to address this in the regular training sessions that are held throughout the hotel.

Although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman. I’m sorry that this was a disappointment to you; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accommodate our own car park and for this reason have never advertised this service.

The building was built in 1905 and originally housed the famous Scotsman newspaper; during the renovation to the hotel as it is today, we are very proud that the majority of the traditional wood panelling was retained and we believe this enhances the character of the hotel. In some of the rooms the panelling affect may make the room appear darker than usual, however all rooms are fitted with dimmer switches and have several desk, bedside and standard lamps for our guests to use as they wish. The beds in all of our suites are a standard length of 6ft 3” and this does not alter between the queen or king sizes offered.

I would like to apologise that the bottle of champagne was not removed from your room; I have spoken with my Head of Housekeeping about this and she will ensure that this is passed onto the housekeeping team as an unacceptable standard. I can only suggest that they either forgot to remove this or if there remained some of the contents in the bottle, they may have chosen not to remove the bottle.

With regards to the noise that you have mentioned from the TV I have asked our maintenance team to service the TV and ensure that it is operational. None of our suites have air conditioning as this is not something we were permitted to install due to the building being historically listed.

I am very sorry to hear that you feel you will not be returning to the Scotsman; we always endeavour to ensure our guests depart having had their expectations exceeded and it seems we have failed to do this for yourself. Should you reconsider your decision; I would very much like to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Edinburgh, the location of the hotel adding to our enjoyment.
The hotel itself is quite stunning from the outside and indoors does not disappoint in the public areas with the food being especially good.
The real feather in this establishments crown is however the staff. Every single member of staff was courteous and professional in every single aspect, they truly made our stay memorable, nothing was too much trouble and everything handled in an impeccable manner.
The pool and spa sections were wonderful, and again the staff here were very kind and polite.
I would however say that given the price-tag attached to the hotel some aspects did disappoint a little. The TV in the room was missing many channels such as Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports news as well as quite a few others. Many other guests told me the same thing about their TV channels too so this was not just a case of my room being the odd one out. Also, given the rating of the hotel, the toiletries were not of a very high standard and I have never stayed in any hotel, of any rating, that did not have a shower cap or shoe shine cloth for it's guests usage. Very strange, as was the fact that the bathroom did not have a toilet brush. I also have to say that I found the bath very small making showering rather tricky especially as someone had seen fit to place a rack in the bath area that made turning around a lesson in contortionism if you didn't want to damage your elbows on the metal rack. I would also suggest that a thermostat be placed on the piping connecting the shower to the water supply as the hot water does run very hot and there is a subsequent scalding risk.

If all this sounds negative, it isn't meant to be. The hotel is first class in all respects, it is just that one pays a significant amount such as is charged here, one does expect certain standards in all areas.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it without reservation, I just hope the management can take on board a little constructive criticism that is well meant.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CraftyFox

Thank you for taking the time to record such a positive review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel earlier in October.

As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism and friendliness; always looking to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is lovely to see that we did just that for you. I will be certain to pass on your kind compliments to all of my Heads of Departments for them to communicate to their teams.
On all of our TV’s we have a freeview package that includes all of the Sky Sports channels 1,2,3 and 4 and used to include Sky Sports News as well. In August Sky Sports News became an independent channel and is no longer part of the freeview package that we have throughout the hotel. For this reason you should have been able to view Sky Sports 1; I have spoken to our maintenance department and they will check the TV to ensure this channel is available, I’m sorry that this was not the case for yourself at the time of your visit.
With regards to the comments you have made about the bathroom facilities we do not provide a toilet brush as our housekeeping department clean the bathrooms on a daily basis and we would not consider it hygienic to provide this for our guests to use themselves. The toiletries have recently been changed, on the back of guest’s reviews, to the Highlands Aromatics brand and in each of the rooms we provide such creature comforts as shampoo, conditioner, body towels, body wash, cotton buds etc as standard. There is also a notice informing all guests that any extra amenities such as shower caps and nail files can be requested at any time from reception or housekeeping.
The building was built in 1905 and originally housed the famous Scotsman newspaper; during the renovation to the hotel as it is today, we are very proud that the majority of the quirkiness of the property was retained; in some rooms this has meant that the bathrooms are not a standard shape, I’m sorry if this caused you any problems during your stay.

You have made a very good point regarding the temperature of the hot water and I would like to thank you for mentioning this. I have spoken to our Maintenance Manager and he is going to review the situation to source a solution that suits our guest’s needs.

I am always very happy to take constructive criticism and would like to thank you for posting comments as such. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you would recommend our hotel. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

During August 2010, while visitng family in Aberdeen, my husband and I spent two days and one night in Edinburgh in order to partake in the Fringe Festival and the Military Tattoo performance.

We started looking for a hotel in early April and consequently, found that during festival season, hotels book up far, far in advance. Availability in Edinburgh was a challenge so, we considered ourselves lucky to find "The Scotsman", although pricey. However, once we arrived we knew just how lucky we were.

First off, the building blends right in with the entire flavor of the medevil and eclectic magic that Edinburgh is known for. The building was actually the old, original home of the newspaper "The Scotsman" (still in publication) that has been remarkably transformed into an upscale hotel with creature comforts galore.

We were, for reasons unexplained by staff and unquestoined by us, upgraded upon arrival to the "Publisher's Suite" from a standard room. Originally the office of that position, it was very roomy and included a fully furnished, comfortable living room complete with flat screen TV, local magazines, daily newspaper, fully stocked fridge containing a variety of alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, cakes, chocolates, cookies, fruit, etc.

A tastefuly designed black and white granite and porcelin bathroom with all the goodies, that was cleaner than clean.

A small,but lovely and cozy bedroom with a bed that was so comfortable we wanted to take it home; another flat screen TV that, upon arrival, we found turned on to display a personal welcome greeting with our names on the screen.

The restaurant was top shelf insofar as food choice and quality, as well as prompt, friendly and professional service. Full front windows face a main street, and additional seating is provided by the interesting interior design of a second floor in the form of a balcony-effect with a view of over the street.

The spa and pool area is located in the lower level in an intentionally designed darkly colored area that one might think of as a bit dungeon-like or achival. But once entering the spa itself - "WOW !" doesn't do it justice for orignality and design. The whole area was truly state-of-the-art. Infact, instead of the usual stark white gymnasium walls with blinding fluorescent lighting and commercial looking signage on the walls, the pool itself appeared to be of stainless steel in a room with black walls and floor with the water and lighting appearing to be a soft blue. Sounds wierd but it really created a very soothing, relaxing and /or romantic atmosphere. Really, really nice. Really, really different.

The Scotsman is outstanding and the staff couldn't do enough to make us feel very special. The location is downtown and very near to Waverly train station, standard bus and tour bus service, city offices, loads of great shopping and restaurants, and of course, the beauty and history of this fantastic city, alone.

We loved The Scotsman, and albeit pricey - we plan on returning next summer!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to record such a comprehensive and positive review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel in August.

As you will be aware, normally avenues such as websites are utilized for the negative aspects, which makes your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We love that the Scotsman building is different to other “standard” hotels and believe that the creature comforts that you mention really make for a wonderful 5 star stay.

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to the experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Publisher suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

With regards to my staff; I will ensure that your compliments about their service are passed on directly to my Heads of Department to communicate to their teams. We take great pleasure in making our guests feel special during their stay and I can see from your review that this is exactly what we achieved for you and your family.

I hope that you will find that we are in line with other Edinburgh City Centre 5 star hotels with regards to our pricing structure and I hope that this did not detract from your visit. Please call myself or my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe directly ahead of your next visit to ensure we give you the best available rate.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman on your next visit

Reviewed October 13, 2010

The fast train from London brought us within 200 yards of the hotel's back entrance and elevator.
Concierge style check-in and a very pleasant gratis upgrade brought us to a very neat room on the 8th floor of this old Scotsman Newspaper office building. A little tower office to one side of the main bedroom gave us an interesting view of the main bridge in town.

The hotel was full of nice staff trying to help you when asked....

Great bed, great accessories and even a valet closet at the front door for overnight shoe service, etc....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record such a positive review regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

I always like to take the opportunity to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our superior rooms and that you had the added benefit of one of the best views across the city.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I hope that if you choose to return to Edinburgh in the future you will once again stay at the Scotsman hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed in the Scotsman for 3 nights and they were fab! Our first night we arrived late and ordered room service. The food was prompt, tasty and served with a smile!
The Concierge was great at suggesting restaurants and attractions in the city. Everyone in the hotel was very helpful and went out of their way to be of service.
The only drawback for me was there was no intimate area to have a nightcap, the hotel bar was lovely, but it was a bustling city centre bar as opposed to somewhere to relax in after an evening out.
Overall, we had a great stay and I would thoroughly recommend The Scotsman for business and pleasure travel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

As you will be aware, normally avenues such as trip advisor are utilised for the negative aspects, which makes your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I am so pleased that you found our staff to be so helpful; this is something that we pride ourselves on and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff directly.

I do agree with your comment regarding the need for an "intimate and relaxed" bar area, you will be pleased to hear that I am currently in the process of changing the residents lounge to our Vermillion suite next week; this will hopefully be an armchaired area complete with internet, newspapers and an honesty bar; making it the ideal "nightcap" lounge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman at some time in the future so that you can experience our new lounge for yourself

Reviewed October 4, 2010

The Scotsman is just off the Royal Mile so is a great location for seeing Edinburgh, it's also just a short walk to Waverly train station. We were upgraded to a suite and had a lovely corner room. The room was spotless. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the pre-theatre menu was delicious and very reasonably priced. The only problem occurred when the hotel staff agreed to make dinner reservations for us at our favorite restaurant in Edinburgh (which is almost impossible to get onto without a reservation) and did not do so. I asked 2 different staff members on 2 different days, both assured me it would be taken care of, and when we arrived at the restaurant they had no reservation for us and said no one from The Scotsman had called. They also had a great spa and gym.

1  Thank Intrepidtraveler1950

I am so pleased you enjoyed our Brasserie and the upgrade to one of our beautiful suites. I would like to apologise that the table you requested was not booked for you and assure you i have passed this onto our Front of House manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman at some time in the future.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Went in August for the Tattoo, left credit card details as all hotels, on getting home got a letter from them saying they have already taken £200 on my card for smoking in room, I DONT SMOKE, none of my guests smoked in rooms, they will not give monies back despite no evidence, terrible manner, hotel wasnt up to it, BETTER STAY IN RADDISON

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ALLANSAYERS
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments as follows:
In all of our rooms we ensure that the framed notice about our no smoking policy is clearly displayed on the desk and would like to assure you that we would only charge for smoking after gaining clear evidence of this in the rooms.
I trust that the rest of our facilities and services were up to the usual high standard of the Scotsman.