Tripadvisor
Edinburgh
3,429 results
All reviews scotsman newspaper north bridge royal mile train station market street beautiful hotel the penthouse street level an upgrade mini bar beautiful room old town central location edinburgh castle princess street sportsman ivor
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited recently as a family traveller unaware of the intricacies of such a medieval city with all its hills and bends and dips.

Speaking of bends, Nick the concierge was absolutely fantastic. He helped me out with any questions or piece of advice I was after and we spoke at lengths about cup cake favourite and the best afternoon tea in town.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh. The location is unbeatable, the staff attentive and the ambiance unrivalled.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
64manager, Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Jewmanji,

Thank you for our lovely review. I shall pass your kind comments onto Nick, who I'm sure will be thrilled. I hope that you will have reason to visit us again in the not-too-distant future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the Scotsman for 10 nights to celebrate our engagement, we were incredibly excited about our stay. However, upon arrival the receptionist was not welcoming at all, in fact we felt she was rather rude and asked for payment straight away. There was no information imparted on services, the room or what to do in the area. The room we were given was grand and spacious but there was refurbishment work next-door, so there was constant banging and knocking throughout our stay. It transpired we had an old room that had not been refurbished. Breakfast was a buffet and we were not told that you could order porridge or different types of cooked eggs. The water baths that the hot breakfast items are kept in keep the food rather cool and soggy. Having worked in a hotel I found this rather strange and not congruent to a luxury hotel breakfast. Another issue, our room television broke down half way through our stay, this was never rectified despite reporting the issue to reception and talking to the hotel handyman. This was disappointing particularly with regard to the price you pay. However, there are staff who are brilliant and welcoming. The hotel itself is very beautiful and well kept. The house keeping team do a tremendous job. The Café Grande is wonderful and the food on offer for lunch and dinner is fantastic. In general, it was an ok experience with good highlights. This was supposed to be a once in life time holiday but for us the hiccups meant we had disappointment.

Dear Morning25,

Thank you for your review. I am very saddened to read that your stay left you disappointed. Unfortunately your usename does not allow for me to check which room you stayed in, if you could email me on lisaanderson@scotsmanhotel.co.uk I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in The Scotsman Hotel.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited in 2018 — BIG room but it did not have a/c. Was across street from noisy train station so open windows wasn’t a good option. After 1st night, tried to move hotels but Scotsman would not refund or cancel next 3 days. Had one more night in same room while they made a newly refurbished room ready for us. They moved us for 2 more nights to a beautiful air conditioned room at no additional charge. We would def consider going back to same room one day if they are not too pricey now.

Date of stay: February 2019

Dear 795theresat,

Thank you for your lovely review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was so happy with my choice of the Scotsman Hotel.
The hotel is historic, and has beautifully and luxuriously updated rooms with
lovely bathrooms and great showers (so important!).
The location is great, and it is easy to walk to a host of historical sites and
great restaurants and pubs.
Add to that a wonderful staff that to a person was friendly, professional, and accommodating.
My highest recommendation!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
64manager, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear marie c,

Thank you for your review of the Scotsman Hotel I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much and found the location and tea to be so great. I very mush hope that we will be able to welcome you back again for another enjoyable stay with us.

With warm wishes and kind regards

Barry Makin

Reviewed January 13, 2020

We stayed at the Scotsman for one night after driving back from Inverness. Very central, great rooms. We were offered a paid upgrade which we took up that hit us a bigger room that had just been refurbished. There was building works outside so was noisy early in the day.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
64manager, Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Anne G,

Thank you for your kind 5* review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your upgraded room and hope that you will return in the future.