“Nice but not a 5 star hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
UK
“Nice but not a 5 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

The staff in the hotel are superb in every discipline. I would give the staff 5 stars. However, the rooms do not meet the same standard. The rooms are very standard and may be a little small. There also appears to be many moths in the room! The pool area is very dark and needs brightening up. I expected the rooms to be a little bit nicer for a 5 star hotel. On the plus side the hotel has the perfect location.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Pixdix09
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments with regards to Barry, Barry, Jorge and Nick I have already personally passed these on to both of them as well as our Front of House Manager.
As the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing and appropriate sound proofing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay. I am sorry to hear that you feel nothing was done to resolve this for you. I will be investigating this.
I hope that despite the short term issues of noise outside on market street you will return to stay with us.

Laura Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Scotsman many times before but never have I been this disappointed.

1. Concierge was helpful in recommending and making a dinner reservation but he obviously forgot to ring me when the taxi came or the taxi never came. So I had to venture out to find another restaurant on my own.

2. It was a warm day but not unpleasantly so. But on my return to the room, i found the room so much warmer than when I left. I twisted the thermostat knob but nothing happened so I rang the reception to enquire about the air conditioning. The receptionist gave me a well-rehearsed explanation why they are not allowed to have any air-con installed as the building is listed. She advised me to use a fan inside the wardrobe.

3. It is not their fault but the road work was still taking place on the ground just outside the Waverley station and I can still hear the noise as I type this at 23:20. So no air-con, and they tell you to open the window. Just suffer the noise, that's what they are really telling me.

It is really sad as they were never in the same league as their neighbour, the Balmoral, in terms of professionalism or slickness of service and overall satisfaction level but they had their own quirky charm. But I strongly felt that the staff on the front line, however hard they try to be friendly and helpful, are not getting the management support and infrastructure they need to deliver a five-star experience.

Avoid booking a room with them in summer.

Room Tip: There is no good room as the building was originally used as a newspaper office. The rooms are carv...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank takakin
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I am sorry to hear that you were not made aware of the taxi arrival, I will pass this onto our front of house manager who will reiterate the importance of this to our team.
With regards to the road works outside the hotel, we were not made aware that on certain days the road works would be continuing until such un sociable hours. We have made contact with Edinburgh council regarding this and they have now provided us with information regarding which dates to expect this to happen once again. We will be taking every step possible to ensure the least disruption to our guests.

I was sorry to read that the service you received did not meet with you personal expectations, as you can see from the majority of reviews on websites such as trip advisor we are proudly known for our 5 star standard of service and I would like to apologise if you feel you did not receive this.
I hope that in the future you will consider returning to stay with us.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Perfectly located in old town city center. Near train, royal mile, Edinburgh castle. Great service, charming facilities. On a summer day with the windows open the sound of bagpipes can be heard. We had a directors suite, which is 2-stories. Small sitting room on the first floor and huge bedroom on second floor with canopy bed and luxury bath. Free wifi, and fabulous breakfasts. Downsides--no air conditioning which can make it warm in the summer (but open windows cooled the room off pretty fast) and no valet parking. We had to drop off our luggage and the park several blocks away. We would, however, definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and less street noise
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your stay with us at the Scotsman.

I am delighted to hear that you will return to stay with us and ask that you contact our reservations department directly when you have a suitable date in mind and they will be happy to look into this for you and offer the best available rate.

Glastonbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Overall a good stay in Edinburgh at the Scotsman, but with a few caveats considering the 5 Star Designation. First the positives. The Concierge staff was top notch!!! Barry, Barry, and Jorge were outstanding. There were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and represented the hotel in a very positive manner. The restaurant was also great! We thoroughly enjoyed the staff and the food there and would recommend having dinner there at least once. Kudos also to Nick in the bar. Super friendly and happy and he just made your day better. Lastly, the location was outstanding. The hotel is central to just about everything you would want to do in town and it is all within walking distances. On to the not so good considering this is a 5 star hotel. The suite room was stayed in was very large and interesting but........ the room had a musty smell to it, the carpet needed to be replaced, the bathroom had some rusty water leaking from the ceiling, and hot water took forever to come up to temperature. In addition, our room faced the Market Street side of the hotel, and there is currently construction going on. First thing in the AM, there was a LOT of noise coming in from the outside making it impossible to sleep. In my opinion, The Scotsman should not have sold these rooms while construction was going on. It really affected our stay and opinion of the hotel. We mentioned these things to the junior manager on duty at the time and we were told that there is nothing that could be done. We came to find out a little later at the end of our stay, that there were plenty of rooms available and we could have moved. Curious why were were not given that opportunity earlier. We mentioned the issues in and outside the room to the management on duty, and they had no comments and did not attempt to reconcile in any way the issues we were having. As a bottom line, we would have to think twice about booking at the Scotsman again. It was a nice hotel, but we feel that some things were missing to really call it a 5 star facility.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Stephen S
I hope that you will return to stay with us in the near future.

Laura cooper
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I was very lucky get a room in this splendid hotel.
A warm welcome with easy check in and escorted to the room. I was pleasantly surprised as the room I was given far exceeded my expectations. Immaculately clean, a king size bed, well stocked bar clearly priced. We asked about restaurants as we were celebrating our anniversary. Given a variety of cuisines to choose from. Having been to this fantastic city dozens of times I was familiar with the restaurants. We asked if we could get a reservation, understanding it would difficult. However, we were delighted when he came back with a booking for Wedgwood. The staff at the Scotsman are most helpful and friendly. The are willing to go the the extra mile and with a smile.
Perfect location for all of sights. Hotel facilities are first class.
Is it expensive? No. You get what you pay for.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan M
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. Our concierge team are extremely knowledgeable on the local area and I’m glad that they could find you a reservation on your anniversary.
I’m glad that we were able to make your anniversary celebrations special and hope that we can do the same again next year!
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel and please contact us directly where we can take care of your booking.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in November 2013. Our room was on the ground floor just inside the main entrance & was beautiful . Very traditional room with oak clad walls . Comfy & cosy lounge area with sofas, bar, tv etc leading through to the bathroom then bedroom with a beautiful bay window overlooking the station & city centre which had the Christmas market due to time of year . The staff very helpful & attentive . The breakfast was superb - so much choice & the cocktails in the bar of an evening were lovely . I didn't partake of the spa as you have to go outside to get there but great location & lovely historic building so would certainly stay again .

• Stayed November 2013
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness especially our concierge. I am glad you enjoyed your time in the North Bridge Brasserie and I will be passing this feedback on to our Executive Head Chef Paul Hart.

I hope we will be given the chance to welcome you back in the future and you will be able to visit our spa next time.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is a restoration of former offices of the Scotsman newspaper and is about as different from a chain hotel as you can get. It was my 60th birthday and they gave us a fantastic room on almost the top floor. The room was not huge but had an alcove up some stairs that led to a tower with four windows that gave a 180 degree view over Edinburgh . Just stunning. The bathroom was huge. Unfortunately we had to leave early so could not try the breakfast. The location is as good as you can get in Edinburgh. Only 2 minutes to the train station and 2 minutes to the Royal Mile. Nice Scottish gent will escort you and your bags to the room however we were disappointed by the eastern European receptionist who asked a scot if this was his first time in Scotland. Talk about robot questions.

Room Tip: Pay extra to ensure you get a city view, some have back views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank scotaussie
Thank you for taking the time to relay this positive feedback regarding your recent visit to the hotel. We are very privileged to be in such a central location in a beautiful city and I am glad you got to enjoy such an excellent view. As you stated our hotel is situated in the former Scotsman newspaper offices which adds to our uniqueness and charm.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Kindest regards,