“Quirky” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #88 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Southern California
“Quirky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three days in mid December. The staff was really helpful and welcoming and the deluxe room very good sized. We had a package that included a sumptuous daily breakfast with both hot and cold foods that was the same every day, but plentiful, fresh and delicious.
Previously, the hotel was an old newspaper building and is quite oddly laid out in spots. One takes an elevator 1/2 a floor to get to the beautiful, clean spa (quite a treat on a cold, blustery day), but still the elevator is a silly experience. The rooms need a bit of an ergonomic reboot. Drawers in our closet wouldn't open because the closet door hit the bed.
A great experience but make sure you get a room that is away from "the close" as a fairly continuous parade of revelers and drunken singers use it at night.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I went on a city trip with my mom and this hotel was just great. The location is perfect!! Very close to all the important stuff, right next to the royal mile, close to the shopping street, everything in walking distance.

The staff is very friendly, the rooms are very spacious and feels like a Scottish castle. Big bed, a living area and a very nice and clean bathroom. The breakfast is also very good, the restaurant is quite design and a nice place to eat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kippen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

A great stay in what we believe is the best 5s tar hotel in Edinburgh. We have tried then all as we go to his great city every year for our anniversary. This year was a bit special as it was our to anniversary and chose the Scotsman after a good experience last year. It did not let us down. Great service, greatt location and great breakfast too!

Room Tip: Hotel happy to upgrade at no cost to a larger room as a anniversary treat for us!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have recently stayed here for two very comfortable nights. We stayed in room 507 which we might have preferred to be a little higher up, however the room was a great size and very well appointed. It was a little shabby round the edges which was a shame, but I just think this room is used a lot being one of the cheaper rooms within the hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful and were very discreet. Overall the hotel and spa were a great quality and we would definitely come back here again.

Room Tip: If you are coming via train, there is a entrance just outside the station into the hotel
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tim A
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I would not hesitate to give this hotel a 5* review if it wasn't for an unfortunate and disgusting experience I had there recently - and the fact that the hotel has not followed up on this disaster.

I was taken here by my girlfriend as a surprise for my birthday. We were to have spa treatments, dinner, a wonderful relaxing night in the hotel and breakfast the following morning.
On arriving we were met by such friendly and helpful staff. concierge and reception simply could not do enough for us - very welcoming.
We were taken to our room and we decided to get into our robes and head down for a swim, sauna, Jacuzzi and all that stuff before dinner.
As we left the room and the door closed behind us we realised that we did not have the room key. We were not worried as everyone was so helpful when we arrived, we were sure this would not be an issue.
As we walked to the lift my girlfriend spotted something coming through my robe. As she examined it further from the other side, she was suddenly disgusted with what she had located. The robe had been unfortunate recipient of someones period blood and the cleaning contractor had obviously missed the rather horrific mess on my robe. Moreover, there was another yellow stain on the robe which just added to the level of disbelief I was experiencing.
As I did not want to be seen in the more public areas of the hotel wearing a period blood and pee stained robe, I asked my girlfriend to go down and have someone not only bring a fresh and clean robe but also bring a key for our room so that I didn't have to wait in the corridor.
Unfortunately I had to wait in the corridor for over 20 minutes until someone came up.
During this time my girlfriend had been to the spa to collect a fresh rob herself as reception were utterly mobbed at the time. The spa seemed rather disinterested with our situation. When she took the robe to the reception, staff were obviously disgusted too and apologised and said they would look into what has happened.
I believe my girlfriend had instructed them to take this as a official complaint as it was almost unthinkable that this could occur in such a stunning hotel.
Since then, 14 days ago, we have heard nothing from the hotel. Not even an apology let alone an explanation.
I will be writing to them also as I would hate to think that this situation could happen again.

Other than that, we had a wonderful dinner, a great breakfast with amazing sausages and we had a fantastic time in the spa.
Again, I would have given this hotel, staff, food and spa 5* if it wasn't for what happened and the lack of care being displayed from the zero contact and communication

Room Tip: We were up on the 7th or 8th floor were no external noise could be heard - I'd recommend those f...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mark L
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Duty Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
Regarding your bathrobe, I sincerely apologise for this oversight we are truly baffted as to how the robe was missed, as we normally have very stringent checks of the items returning from our laundry. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper and our Rooms Division Manager and I am sorry that no one from the hotel has got back to you. We have since had a meeting with our laundry company to discuss the return of a soiled robe and have decided to use another company to both launder and supply our linen requirements moving forward. I sincerely apologise that their oversight had a negative impact on your stay with us.
I was on duty the day you checked in and I sent some prosecco up to the room for you and your girlfriend to enjoy upon your return from the Spa, following your comments at reception. I also called your room a few times through the evening but was unable to make contact with you.
In regards to your positive comments about our team members and the warm welcome you received I shall pass this on to the team. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

Again sir, I do sincerely apologise that you have been left with such a bad impression of our hotel. Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman, to go someway to redeeming our good name please contact me directly on 0131 556 5565 to allow us to offer you our best available rate and perhaps a complimentary upgrade to one of our sumptuous suites.
Warm regards,
Vicki
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Recommended hotel. Service is excellent and very personable.

The location is right in the heart of Edinburgh within easy walking distance of all attractions and shops and a great many restaurants.

The rooms are lovely and a reasonable size and there are some nice touches such as umbrellas in the rooms which is very handy for British weather.

Food is of great quality and there is a luxury spa on the lower floors to make the stay even better.

Very good quality and value for money overall.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Scotsman and thought the hotel was lovely, staff were very pleasant and our room was very clean and a really good size. We did have one small problem with our room in that my husband went to the bathroom through the night but the handle mechanism wouldn't work to open the door so he was stuck in there until I released him at 6.10am!! We took this up with Andrew, the duty manager and he was very professional and apologised and had the door mechanism repaired immediately. The spa facilities are superb, my husband wasn't too happy that one of the gay lads that worked on spa reception took a shine to him but I don't know what he was moaning about, at least somebody fancies him!!!!! Breakfast was excellent with a very good choice but we didn't rate the food in North Street Brasserie restaurant in the evening, in fact the food was dire!! We would definitely return to The Scotsman Hotel.

3 Thank rj&lj