“High standards let down by breakfast service.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #90 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“High standards let down by breakfast service.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was our third stay at The Scotsman so its a hotel we like. Our experience this time was much like that of Aug60 below so I will not repeat all the points which have been made. This is a confident classy hotel with some blips. In terms of service there is a marked difference between the wonderful, welcoming reception and concierge staff and the inattentive, even disinterested brasserie staff. Our experience like others was of arriving into the breakfast room and trying to catch the attention of a staff member. None of the larger tables were available to we were pointed , not led, towards a small table next to the pillar- we had to ask on more than one occasion for salt, pepper and butter to be brought. No-one indicated for example if eggs could be prepared to order. This is an area of service which really needs to be improved. ( The Marine and Houston House of the hotels we have stayed in recently provide much better service.)

We did eat in the brasserie for lunch which was excellent and i felt reasonably priced for the quality and location. The gym and spa area is good but not quite of the quality of the Sheraton. I found the gloom Stygian rather than soothing.

Our room was on the 8th floor and had a split level bedroom and lounge. The view across the rooftops towards the castle and beyond on side and Calton Hill on the other is wonderful. The bathroom is well appointed.

This is a good hotel, well crafted and with unique features from its time as the home of The Scotsman newspaper. We like it otherwise we would not have gone back but at 5* it needs to ensure that the quality is maintained throughout.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in have been good but the split level rooms on the 8th floor might not...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anster
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Scotsman, I will pass your comments onto our reception and concierge staff.
With regards to the comments regarding the brasserie staff and breakfast service, I have passed all of your comments onto our brasserie manager Iain Gibson who has asked me to pass on his sincere apologies and has assured me that he will take the appropriate steps to address this.
As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh I am glad you appreciated the view from your suite!
Thank you for your comments please be assured these have been passed on and will be dealt with accordingly.

I do hope you will return to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards
Laura cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Ireland
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights when attending a wedding and just love this hotel. Firstly the service from every single member of staff is just outstanding. Add to that beautiful rooms, and probably the best gym and spa I have seen in a hotel, and it is always going to be good. But the best bit is the amazing brasserie resturant and bar. Not only is the food fantastic, but the vaulted room is simply fabulous. I can't wait to come back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nigelsIreland
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Duty Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more. Thanks again for your valuable feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotman Hotel in the near future.
Warm regards,
Vicki
Willaston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Afternoon tea at The Scotsman is a real treat! The sandwiches and cakes are delidious and can be accomanied by tea or champagne. The service is perfect -attentive yet discrete. You are made to feel welcomed and special. The room has been decorated beautifully making it a calming sanctury in the middle of this bustling city. Not to be missed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Recently had some spa treatment in the Scotsman hotel a lovely hotel in Central Edinburgh. It was just simply wonderful. Products,staff and whole experience was so good I did not want to leave. This is such a good experience fabulous towels and robes. Temperature of room just right for me .Products used were so relaxing. I had back ,neck and foot massage and I felt so good afterwards. Hotel and Spa staff were so professional and yet friendly and I recommend this to anyone staying in the hotel or even try to book when in Edinburgh.
Afternoon tea which I have had before and which was also excellent and champagne for me next time as well as the spa treatment.
Look forward to my return visit to the Scotsman hotel a real 5 star experience. Despite the hotel being very close to the station and in the middle of Edinburgh inside the hotel is very quite and calm. A sea of tranquility reigns.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Overall was very pleased with my stay.

Positive:

Great concierge staff. Consistently helpful, friendly, knowledgeable. I ask alot of questions, and they never made me feel that I was imposing or being annoying.
Large towels in bathroom--so many hotels--even nice ones--have skimpy towels. These were excellent.
Large gym on the premises, with classes too (though I didn't take any). It's quite a maze finding it, but worth it.
Complimentary bottle of water nightly
Location can't be beat

Negative:

No makeup mirror. This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't understand how top hotels ignore this; it's a necessity for women, and probably some men too.
Lighting in room was poor. At night, half the room was barely lit, as there is no overhead lighting. Lamps were fine for targeted lighting, but overall room was inadequate. Contrast with bathroom lighting which was excellent.
Shower. Great shower, but....the shower head is above, and the controls are at the back, so you have to get hit with water when you first turn it on. This may not be the case in all rooms, but it was in mine. Quite annoying.

Would I stay here again? 50/50. If I could get a good deal at another top hotel, I'd take it. If not, I'd probably return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Aug60
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay at The Scotsman. Lovely old building in a great location, situated in Edinburgh's Old Town, just roubd the corner from the Royal Mile. Stayed in an Executive Room which was very spacious with a huge bed, nice decor, and lovely bathroom. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Will definitely stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CrystalTips42
Aberystwyth
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I, tired and weary having travelled nearly six hours by rail, stumbled across the road from Waverley station and into the comfort of the Scotsman Hotel, previously the HQ of the Scotsman newspaper. Reception staff and concierges were polite, knowledgeable and friendly, and we were led through the maze like building to our room, looking straight out over Waverley station to the Balmoral Hotel.

Our room (202) was sizable, with a large bed, which was extremely cosy and comfortable. The minibar was well stocked, reasonably priced and had a good selection of drinks and nibbles to choose from. The surround sound system controlling the sound from the TV was frightfully sensitive, and one notch on the + volume button sent the noise skywards, so took some getting used to! Bathroom was a good size, with a nice hot shower and a huge mirror, a part of which was heated to prevent it from steaming up. Although in the centre of town and directly above a nightclub, the room was surprisingly quiet and relaxing, albeit a little on the hot side.

The breakfast was excellent, with plenty to choose from - continental, cooked and many other items that could be freshly cooked for you. We ate in the restaurant on one night, and chose from the pre-theatre menu, which had a narrow, but very fine selection of food to choose from.

We both had a relaxing massage after we arrived, which helped us get over our long journey. I used the steam room, tropicarium and sauna numerous times, and ventured into the arctic shower after using the sauna - character building would be one way to describe that experience! My only criticism of the sauna was that there was no egg timer to keep track of time spent in there.

After three nights, our stay came to an end, and after a hearty breakfast and having to part with a not insubstantial amount of money, we sadly said goodbye and stumbled back across the road to the station for our long trip back home.

Recommended for couples, not so much for families

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple