“Overpriced and tired - not 5 star”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #77 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here as were transferred from a nearby hotel due to an overbooking error. Very disappointed with the room we received. Room was tired and looked in need of some refurbishment. Carpet very worn/had large split at bottom of bed and all loose fitting/rippled. Curtains attached on bare tracks to panels of unpainted mdf on bay windows. Room also far too hot and no air conditioning apparent. Very disappointed in general with the room and defo not what I expect from a hotel with a '5 star' rating. Shower was also seriously lacking water pressure in morning, was more of a trickle than a shower after a long time spent trying to adjust it further. In short, not the place to go if you're looking for a touch of luxury. Hotel did make a reduction in room service charges as offer of goodwill and staff were very helpful and apologised.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

You have mentioned that there was no air conditioning in your room; indeed this is not a facility that is offered nor advertised in the hotel. The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. The age of the building and historical protection means that we are unable to install facilities such as air conditioning, I am however sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

With regards to your comments about the carpets, as I am not aware of the details of your reservation I am unable to comment with any clarity on this; I would however like to assure you that our Maintenance Team have a ongoing schedule of maintenance throughout all of our rooms and suites to ensure that they the upkeep is at the highest standard.

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us; I was pleased to see that you accepted our gesture of goodwill from our team on check out and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Claire Johnston

Write a ReviewReviews (2,529)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in a lovely room with a fabulous view of the iconic Walter Scott monument. This was the ideal first night in Scotland. A beautiful, comfortable, quiet room, centrally located. The brassiere downstairs serves very nice food in a great atmosphere. Staff was attentive and helpful. Edinburgh is a great walking city, and this hotel is right in the middle of everything. It has a unique old-world ambience that heightens the sense of travel and adventure. Also, it is very convenient to the train station. We will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I was delighted to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us so much and we certainly look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My main complaint was with the uncomfortable matress. I could feel the springs digging in my back and as the matress sagged I rolled into the middle of the bed. The pillows were limp and lifeless and had seen better days.
My partner e mailed the hotel asking for a higher room as It was my Birthday and he had read on Tripadvisor there could be a noise issue. We are not late night people and wanted an early start to make the most of our one day in Edinburgh.
The hotel is uncomfortably hot and stuffy and we had to open the windows to let in air. Whilst I appreciate that the hotel cannot install air conditioning because of the buildings age I cannot understand why fans are not used? It wasn't even a hot weekend - in fact it was quite cool and rainy. Yet all areas of the hotel including the Brasserie were extremely stifling.
As we had to have the windows open, we of course couldn't make use of the secondary double glazing and this resulted in laying awake all night and I mean all night! listening to late night revellers screaming and hollering followed by sirens .... It went on and on till 4am in the morning. Again, being a city centre hotel I understand it is outside the control of the hotel to monitor and manage outside noise but I still feel the problem should be addressed with electric fans- at least it would go some way in helping with the whole problem.
I cannot fault the politeness of the staff here. The Brasserie service and food was lovely.
Just feel a little let down as my partner had e mailed the hotel in advance asking for a higher room as he was concerned after reading on here about noise.
Having known that was an issue for us we still got shoved to the front of the hotel, which even on the 7th floor is impossible to sleep with the noise level from street.
Sadly disappointed. :-(

Room Tip: Dont even contemplate front of hotel or you may as well sleep in street with the noise!! Test your...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

As you have mentioned, the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing and appropriate sound proofing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay however I would like to apologise that you were disturbed during your stay.

You have suggested the placement of fans in our guest's room and I would like to confirm that all of our rooms and suites have an electric fan in the wardrobe for our guest's use. As i am unsure which room you were allocated I can not comment with any clarity as to the reason why this was not present, however I can confirm that we have checked all of our 7th floor rooms to ensure that each of has this facility.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and I am only sorry that we have met with your personal expectations during your stay.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our first trip to Edinburgh was a memorable experience all around, but it was capped off with our stay at The Scotsman Hotel. It is a great and distinguished proper in the heart of Edinburgh (in the middle of the Royal Mile). However, the our experience at The Scotsman was made complete by the exceptional service and hospitality by the staff. Specifically, Nick the Bellman greeted us on the street and his service and hospitality were exceptional throughout our stay...from helping us with our bags, parking, restaurants, jogging route et al. I have traveled the globe for business for over 20 years and Nick rates as one of the top for genuine hospitality. Thanks to Nick and all the staff at the Scotsman for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about Nick in particular and I have already personally passed these onto him and our Rooms Operations Manager; Nick is an experienced and valuable member of our team and was delighted with your comments.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed for three nights in The Scotsman, the Hotel is great, well located in North Bridge, very near to all main attractions. I traveled for Business but had time to know the city as well. The Hotel room where I stayed was in the third floor, very comfortable, spacious and well decorated. As I arrived about 9.30am, I was received by the concierge that helped me with the luggage and gave me a map and directions to visit some attractions near the hotel until the check in time. All the personnel was very friendly and helpful. The Hotel's building is fantastic, very well maintained, with a great sight of Princes Street. I recommend this hotel if you have the opportunity to travel to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view to Princes Street, it is a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MMac72

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us to friends and family is an added bonus; we look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I planned a trip here for my boyfriend's birthday and it was perfect. The concierge was so helpful and amazing, they upgraded the room and made it a real treat for both of us. They went out and got balloons to decorate the room at my request (although they did end up getting baby balloons with teddies on them for my bf's 26th! Minor screw up but was quite funny!). We stayed in the wood panelled room and the view and room was just great. It is such a beautiful hotel with authentic Scottish charm and so many beautiful features. This is the only hotel I have stayed in ever that I would 100% return. Absolutely recommend to everyone!

Room Tip: Wood panelled room facing the station was amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CHHisbad

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I would like to apologise for any confusion over the balloons and only glad that you saw this in a humorous light; I hope your boyfriend had a very happy and enjoyable birthday celebration.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Myself and my husband have just returned from a 2 night break in Edinburgh at the lovely Scotsman Hotel. Being Scottish and previously working and living in the city but now living in England, we wanted to return to the city as tourists and we had always felt the Scotsman hotel was a hotel that we wished to stay in. The hotel itself is beautiful and the history of the building adds to its wonderful charm. The staff could not be more attentive and friendly in reception, concierge and the brassiere. When we arrived in our room the mattress was very uncomfortable and the springs were very noisy so I went to reception and asked if we could have a mattress replacement or a room move. We were given 2 different rooms to chose from and while this was being sorted out we were given a free drink in the bar. We ended up in a lovely room, with beautiful views of the city overlooking the gardens and princess street. My only negative comment would be that it was very hot but after mentioning this at check out I was advised that the builidng was listed and therefore air con could not be installed - this is fair enough and something I accepted - and it is Scotland after all. Heat is not something that you get often! All in all it's a lovely and charming hotel, the staff are super friendly and attentive - I mentioned that it was our anniversary and a bottle of prosecco was organised - lovely touch. The only thing I would say is that compared with 5* in other countries, I would say this is more like 4*. We have stayed in 5* across the world in 4 continents and I would say that it wasn't a true 5 *. It was a wonderful stay and I would return tomorrow if I could! We didn't have time to use the spa but next time I will definitely do this!

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, don't be afraid to mention to the hotel staff. They are ver...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I was pleased to read that we were able to offer you alternative rooms and that you enjoyed the celebratory bottle of Prosecco with our compliments. I appreciate your feedback with regards to our star rating, however as you have not mentioned specifically why you believe the Scotsman is a 5 star hotel I am unable to comment with any clarity on this. I understand that all of our guest’s have their own individual expectations and I am delighted to read that we met with yours.
Certainly to hear that you will be back to stay with us in the future is an added bonus and we look forward to welcoming you back.