“More than 5-Star!”

Ranked #90 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“More than 5-Star!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

For a long time I'd wanted to go into the Scotsman and have a drink but to be dressed properly for the occasion. This was a treat from my husband, not just for a drink but to stay for 3 nights. We were not disappointed, it was everything I'd hoped it would be. Lovely room with so many 'inclusives', superb breakfast choice in the Brasserie, and the Pool and Spa which I made full use of. The staff were all so attentive and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The weather was cold, surrounded by snow in every direction, but very warm and cosy in the hotel, it was nice to hibernate.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th Floor with bay window overlooking Waverly Station and Princes Street, and t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I was delighted to read that we not only met with but exceeded your expectations during your stay and that you enjoyed all the added extras within your room; we like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Kildare
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We arrived here in January for my husbands 30th and also a late honeymoon/ mini moon, I had stated it was my husbands bday and when we arrived they upgraded up to a beautiful room with a view over the whole of Edinburgh, there was also a bottle of red wine with a beautiful hand written card from the manager wishing us a lovely stay and also wishing my husband a happy birthday, the concierge , a lovely bloke, cant remember his name. brought us to our room and was chit chatting in the lift on the way up, he asked were we there on a special occasion, and again we said it was my hubbies 30th, he showed us to our room and a moment later there was a knock on the door and 2 glasses of bubbly waiting for us. How nice!!

Its service like this and also a beautiful hotel that makes peoples stays.

For such a sumptous hotel, the staff were very friendly and down to earth, we only had breakfast in the restaurant but it was beautiful also.

Thank you for a lovely stay. Will be back.

Room Tip: If you are on a special occasion make sure to mention it to the lovely staff at reception
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we were able to contribute to such a special occasion for you and your husband is an added bonus.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at the scotsman hotel for two nights to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and we were not dissapointed. The friendly reception staff upgraded our room to an editor suite which was clean, comfortable and very spacious. Our lunch in the brasserie was delicious. The leisure facilties are excelllent. The location could not be better, 2 minutes walk from anywhere. The concierge staff were extremely helpful, helping us with everything from shoe shine to booking meals and taxis.

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels before and overall the scotsman is one of the best, we certainly would not hesitate to book here the next time we would like to stay in edinburgh. I would like to thank all the staff for helping make our weekend nothing short of perfect.

• Stayed March 2013
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy all of our facilities including the Spa and Health Club and our award winning Brasserie during your stay; thank you for your kind comments and I have passed on your thanks to our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in March 2013. It was a great experience. The service is top notch. The staff was always very friendly, helpful, and reliable. The location is great, right in the middle of old town and in walking distance of everything. I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back.

san antonio
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I love the history of this hotel; it being the former Scotsman newspaper building. The rooms are stylish. It has a perfect location in the old town, just down the hill from Edinburgh Castle. The staff were so helpful, especially the concierge. There is also a good restaurant in the hotel. This hotel and the Pont Royal in Paris are tied for my favorite good sized hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I used this hotel for a customer dinner and training event. The weather turned very cold and snowy during the day so numbers were fluctuating wildly as our customers decided if they would venture out in the elements.

The location and ambience is second to none, the welcome was fantastic, and the function rooms were clean, comfortable and well set out before our arrival. This is a beautiful hotel with character and style. The older, and I would venture to suggest, more experienced staff give 100%, nothing is too much trouble.

On arrival I detailed my concern on numbers, initially 57, we were down to around 40. Not wanting to have spare seats at dinner I suggested we remove 2 covers from each table. This was greeted with some disdain and I was informed “Chef” needed to know exact numbers as they don’t waste food... given I was paying for 57 I was at pains to understand the logic.

My request was duly carried out and the covers removed. Finally as the evening progressed a customer had braved the elements against all odds and made it to the event very late, requiring one more cover to be added back.... you would have thought I wanted the whole dining room re-arranged!
Add to this that the staff were dealing with two events, the staff did not inform the second party where to hang coats and subsequently used our coat racking, actually at one point placing wet coats on our diners chairs in the dining room.

The food was good and our guests enjoyed themselves; as host I was worn out trying to get what I needed from the staff... will I use the hotel again – not likely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

Our Conference and Events team always endeavour to ensure that a 5 star standard of service is received by our guests and indeed this is what we are proudly known for and so I was very concerned to read your comments. Our service team and our Chef work very closely together throughout events to ensure that the up to date numbers and information is passed to the kitchen to enable them to deliver a first class service.

I was delighted to read that you and your guests enjoyed your surroundings and the dining experience and I am sorry if we have not met with your personal expectations with regards to the service.

I hope you will choose to return to the Scotsman to allow us to show you the service that we are proudly known for.