“Such a shame”

Ranked #88 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
glasgow
“Such a shame”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

On a recent 2 day trip to Edinburgh,we decided to stay here as we haven't been for a couple of years,we normally stay at another hotel but wanted a change and sad to say it was well below previous standards.Reception and concierge were very professional and friendly and sadly that was where it ended,After being shown to our room,we headed down to the bar for some drinks to find it empty and no one serving so we waited and eventually had to go and look for a member of staff who took our order three times but clearly didn't understand much English and eventually had to find another staff member to help us., not the best of starts.
Restaurant food was well below standard,absolutely no atmosphere and a couldn;t care less attitude from staff,Breakfast was probably the worst and have never experienced such a shambles,what is so hard to serve up a Scottish breakfast that is warm and edible ? end this trip with room cleaning trying to get you out of your room two hours before checkout.
All in all, feel really let down with the whole experience and hope the management have taken the time to read the comments left at the hotel.
For the kind of money they are charging,we were left feeling very dissapointed and definitely don't feel it was money well spent, in fact, feel very much ripped off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
We always endeavour to deliver a 5 star standard and quality of service throughout our guest’s stay and I was sorry to hear that we have not met with your personal expectations during your visit.
I was, respectfully, very surprised and concerned to read your comments about the standard of your dining experience; as you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as this our Executive Head Chef produces some of Edinburgh’s finest, freshest and imaginative menus and this is well received throughout all of our guests and corporate clients.
The Brasserie is one of the most elegant and original marble pillared rooms that has a wonderful atmosphere within original surroundings however I do appreciate that this may not be to all of our guest’s tastes and I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your experience with us.
I am sincerely sorry that you have left with such a poor impression and opinion of the Scotsman Hotel; this is truly not our usual standard of feedback and I hope that you will decide in the future to return to the hotel and allow us the opportunity to redeem our good name.
Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had a gluten free afternoon tea at the Brasserie in the Scotsman Hotel on North Bridge. The sandwiches, scones and cakes were excellent, really good quality, and everything was delicious. The staff were polite and attentive, the setting very grand, and overall it was a real treat at £22 including a glass of fizz.
I would have given 5 stars if I had been offered a choice of tea, made with tea leaves, instead I was only offered tea or coffee, and brought a standard pot of tea made with a tea bag. I think choosing which type of tea you would like is an integral part of afternoon tea.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel and our North Bridge Brasserie.
We are delighted with the lovely comments that our Afternoon Tea and our Gluten free Afternoon Tea are receiving and it is nice to read that you treated yourselves to a nice glass of fizz.
With regards to your comments about the selection of teas I am sorry that you appear not to have had these offered to you; it is usual that we have a wide variety of loose leaf teas to accompany your cakes and sandwiches and I have already addressed this with our Brasserie staff.
I hope you will return to dine with us again in the future and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

underneath the restaurant and next to the kitchen.

bang, bang, bang..... even though the staff will refuse to accept theres any issue, if you want to sleep before 12am then stay somewhere else.

stayed here before but probably the last time.

Room Tip: avoid 306 unless you like constant noise and total denial from the reception staff...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013

With regards to your comments about some noise disturbance near your room last night i would like to offer you apologies that we have not met with your personal expectations and that i did not have the opportunity to meet with you this morning at check-out to discuss your concerns with you.

I understand that you believed there was renovation work taking place in the hotel which is the information our Reception team correctly denied; i am sorry that you did not wish to accept our option of moving room last night and that our Concierge was unable to find the source of the noise you spoke about.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and assure you that we take all of our guests reviews very seriously; may i ask that should you return to the hotel you request to speak to myself to allow me to ensure your room meets with your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Having travelled a lot I would say the Scotsman offers good value for money central accommodation, while perhaps not fabulous it is very nice. The staff were more than helpful and very welcoming, huge plus point.
Our room 507, was very clean and comfortable, the only complaint being that the bed appeared to be a four foot double...far too small for two adults to sleep comfortably. The bed itself was fine but simply too small. The headboard appeared to be wide off to accommodate a queen or at least a full size double so it did seem a silly decision not to have one.
Other than that, a lovely stay and would def visit again if I could confirm a larger bed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
With regards to your comments about the bed I am unable to reply with any clarity as I do not have your personal information in order to check which of our rooms you were allocated; I would like to confirm, however, that all of our Queen, Kind, Double and Twin beds are of a standard size as you are able to find in any major retailer.
I was pleased to see that you would like to return to stay with us in the future and ask that you request a King bed on your reservation which we will happily endeavour to accommodate for you.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just back from a great night stay with my husband we both could not ask for a better break away, just what we needed. The staff were brilliant very professional, our room was excellent with a great view of Edinburgh & very clean (i am so fussy). Spa was amazing, therapist was so lovely we got 3 treatments nearly 2 hours of bliss. I got body scrub, massage & facial. It was very reasonable. Food was excellent we didn't need to leave the hotel. I forgot i was in Edinburgh so handy as not too far from home (didn't want to travel far my baby is weeks old). I feel so relaxed & refreshed. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to see that you had an opportunity to enjoy a number of facilities and they were all at the high standard at which we pride ourselves is an added bonus.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had 3 nights @ £99 per night excl breakfast.
+ ve
Attentive staff from Concierge, Reception, Restaurant and cleaners, warm, comfortable, great surroundings and character and excellent food in North Bridge Brasserie. Breakfast was a little steep at £17 - but it kept me going all day and I only wanted 1 course at dinner, that's after walking to Leith, Arthur's Seat, The Royal Mile etc. Mrs B's kippers and smoked Salmon were also reported to be excellent. Not the cheapest place but excellent value. Room large (fit 3 Travelodge hutches) and although on North Bridge, relatively quiet. There was one drunken Scots person singing something at 03:00 on Wednesday morning but that didn't last long before they fell over / shut up. Recommended.
I would go the the North Bridge Brasserie even if I was not staying at the hotel - very good value (not cheap but excellent quality in impressive surroundings)
- ve
Someone had been ill in the lift the following the Scots victory over the Irish (Rugby Union - high spirits vs hooliganism for Football) so it ponged a little - not the hotel's fault and cleaner was very apologetic.
Asked for room with view over Carlton Hill - not allocated so we received an upgrade to one with with no problems
Mistake on bill pointed out and no quibbling over refund

Room Tip: Facing North - a super view from bank of Scotland, Castle, Princes Street, Calton Hill and down to P...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JonBlythe
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by certain celebrating individuals following the rugby however it was nice to hear that they did not deter from the enjoyment of your stay.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and we looking forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman.

Cardiff
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a food review only, but the meal, restaurant and service was excellent and well worth sharing. After flying into Edinburgh early on a Friday and dropping our bags in the Witchery hotel we headed out for breakfast.

I had seen the Scotsman's website and it looked good so gave it a try. So we turned up unannounced and asked for a table. We couldn't have been made more welcome. The Scottish breakfast was freshly cooked, the help yourself breakfast bar full of fruit, yogurt etc. etc.

The hotel was originally the home of The Scotsman newspaper and they have done an excellent conversion to a fine looking hotel, retaining classic art deco appearance with modern facilities. We will stay there one day.

Thanks to the staff who made our first meal in Edinburgh very memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Prince's Street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank airfix61
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013

I was delighted to hear that you took the opportunity to join us for breakfast and that it was at the usual high standard for which we are proudly known; I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.