“communication.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #88 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“communication.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel had all the amenities we wanted and the rooms were spacious and lovely. The communication between the staff unfortunately left a lot to be desired. We booked the night before arrival and when we arrived they didn't seem to have any record of us. We confirmed the pre -booked dinner when we arrived, but when we got to the restaurant at the pre-booked time they had no record of the booking. We had a lovely relaxed stay in spite of this.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

With regards to the communication you experienced between our staff and departments I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this and assure you that this is not the standard of service that we endeavour to achieve. I have passed on your comments to our teams and their managers have already addressed these with their staff.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay despite these problems and truly hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman to allow us to show you the 5 star service we are proudly known for.

Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed with my husband for a 2 night weekend break. Upon arrival the receptionist upgraded our bedroom and let us check in immediately - as we were up at 4 am that morning it was most welcome. The room was fantastic, ample space, you could just lie in the bed all day it was so comfy. We ordered room service that evening and was delighted with the time it took to arrive in our room. We ordered our breakfast in bed for our first morning in the hotel and I have to say I was extremely disappointed with this meal, we went to the buffet breakfast the following morning and it was superb..............plenty of choice (service was a bit slow that morning).
The nightly turn-down service and complementary bottle of water is a lovely touch. The building is beautiful and we had an amazing time while staying there, the location of this hotel is perfect - so central to everything. We did not use the spa so cannot comment on this but we did use the hotel swimming pool and like everything else in the hotel is spotless clean. I would love to return here again sometime soon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

With regards to your disappointment with breakfast in bed as you have not stated anything specifically I am sorry but I am unable to comment with any clarity on this; I do however, apologise that we did not meet with your expectations.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed just for one night as a gift from good friends. The Scotsman is beautifully positioned at the heart of this amazing city. The hotel is steeped in heratige from the old oak panelling too open log fires dotted around its many floors. The room we had; had a vista that took in the entire royal mile and everything in between. It was beautifully and simply styled with thick heavy bathrobes too boot! The evening meal in the Brasserie was outstanding and one of the best meals we've ever had. The breakfast was also very impressive and enough too keep you going for a full days sightseeing.
All in all a beautiful hotel in an equally beautiful city. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I would like to thank you for your compliments to our Executive Head Chef and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed every element of your stay with us; we look forward to you returning to stay with us in the future.
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed with my friend for a 2 night weekend break, Room was very spacious and very well equipped, we had requested a twin room and when offered a double at check-in we expressed our preference and this was sorted immediately. Beautiful old building generally in good condition but some faults as is to be expected from remodeling, (only complaint would be a smell at back stairs occasionally but was probably old pipes). Found all the staff to be most helpful and quick to assist, (with the possible exception of I think it was "Martin" in the Brasserie who was a little curt and oversensitive to any queries/problems)
Our room also looked onto the train station and near the bridge as previously referred to but we did not find ANY noise as windows were more than efficient for this (maybe if windows were to be opened might be a little noisy but nothing major - However it was January!)
Only thing which we found a little disappointing was the Pool/Spa Area - Pool was fairly cold, and a dark rather than atmospheric area we thought. Also back entrance near here can be fairly isolated so might not suit some people.
I would highly recommend this hotel in general Pricing seems to be a relative thing depending what you're used to but for a major (VERY beautiful and lively) city I thought it was good enough. Maybe 4 Stars would be a more accurate rating and wouldn't really recommend it for families.

Room Tip: As all rooms are different it is really up to personal taste, however if it is Summer time maybe not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry that you found our pool area to be “fairly cold;” we always keep the pool water to a comfortable temperature and this is checked on a regular schedule throughout the day. Our pool area is designed to be relaxing and soothing with atmospheric lighting however I do appreciate that this will not be to all of our guest’s tastes and I am sorry that we did not meet with your personal expectations.

With regards to our star rating we are annually audited by several organisations such as Visit Scotland and the AA and are proud to maintain our 5 star rating; I am sorry that you feel we have not met your expectations during your stay.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us is an added bonus; we hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This hotel is right in the centre and very convenient for the train station and the city. The staff went above and beyond to respond to all our various requests. The room was very large and had all we wanted. We slept really well, which I think is the most important thing for any hotel. Downsides are that it is quite expensive and the restaurant has a cold feel to it (in terms of decor and seating).

Room Tip: This is a city centre location so it is near some busy roads. Higher floors should be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I would like to offer you an assurance that our accommodation is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre restaurants in Edinburgh and we always ask our guest’s to contact us directly to ensure we are able to offer our best available rates.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future

Haddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Enjoyed a night here on a business trip. Had a suite on the 8th floor. Lots of space, well laid out & spotlessly clean. All mod cons supplied. The hotel's architecture is stunning with plenty marble, glass & wood throughout. Food was nice though not cheap. Didn't have time to visit the spa but that looked great too. Very central location. Staff friendly without exception. All in all excellent. Would like to return with my wife for a treat.

Room Tip: 8th floor suites if you can manage it. I've spoken to others who commented the standard rooms we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman.
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed at The Scotsman for 2 nights commencing 18th feb 2013. My family and I were allocated two lovely rooms. Although both rooms were beautiful they were a little tired in places. On arrival we decided to eat in the brasserie as our rooms were not ready. With two tired young children in tow it was the nearest place to go. Our girls are aged 6 and 3, the children's menu on offer in the hotel is very different and not to our daughters' taste. I did request an alternative from the chef but this request was declined by the brasserie staff. Therefore the following day we ate out. Breakfast is very good as was the spa. Very little is provided for children, and the only place to relax is a small guest lounge with no views and feels very 'out of the way' or the brasserie restaurant. Not ideal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am sorry that you feel your visit to the Brasserie did not meet with your expectations for your daughters but pleased that you found your rooms to be at the high standard for which we are proudly known.

We do cater for children as you have mentioned with our children’s menu however I appreciate that children have their own specific likes and dislikes and I am sorry we were not able to offer something to their tastes.

I would like to thank you again for the time you took to write this review; we value all of our guest’s feedback and hope that you may return to the Scotsman in the future