“Really fab place to spend Christmas”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #82 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked 3 night christmas package. Staff very really friendly, helpful and made our stay really comfortable. Food is excellent and plenty of it. First time spending Christmas away from home, but was a really enjoyable experience, with many nice touches to the package including milk and carrots on xmas eve for those that had young children, to leave out for Santa!
The hotel is very clean, comfortable and high standard of service.
Great location with easy access to all that Edinburgh has to offer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Christmas Package and all of the little added extras that we believe truly makes the festive time of year for both the children and the adults with children in them.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I thought I would treat myself to a change of hotel, due partly to the fact that they had a good offer going through Booking.com. The firdt thing you notice is the location, you do not get more central. I came by train and caught the lift from the groundfloor to reception. Sitting down to check in is a good experience. I was taken to the room by a porter and the room though old was very satisfactory. They have a hatch next to each door which is great when ordering room service as you do not have to get dressed again to answer the door. The food was among the best I have ever had when ordering room service and extremely reasonabl for a 5 star hotel. The bar is friendly and the staff are attentive. Would like to share this with my partner, she appreciates luxury much more than me.Took me a while to get used to the lights, and I had initial problem with tv, but got immediate attention after ringing reception from very courteous and well groomed staff. In summary I would recommend if you get a deal but had to say did not "blow my socks off".

Room Tip: I have only stopped in one, I believe they will make a special effort if it is a special occasion an...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Our location is indeed a prime one being positioned on the edge of the Royal Mile and 2 mins walk from Prices Street and I was pleased to read that you found this to add to the enjoyment of your stay.
I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights DBB, which we booked through a Spa deals web site, so our stay included 3 spa treatments each. On arrival we were greeted by very friendly professional staff who took care of our every need.
The best bit was being upgraded to The Penthouse, what a treat! The food was lovely and the location was excellent for access to all the main attractions.
The spa treatments were very professional and unhurried and left us feeling relaxed and pampered.
We parked our car at the station and left it there for the duration, this wasn't too bad price wise, as we had the ticket validated by the hotel which reduced the cost. We had no trouble getting around using public transport.
On our last day we checked out at 11, but the hotel kindly stored our bags safely for us so we could make the most of our last day.

Room Tip: We were in the penthouse, so nothing to fault it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful Penthouse suite and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Edinburgh and the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I don’t usually write reviews, but so disappointed by the Scotman’s overpriced “5 Star” service that I was left with little choice…

On arrival at the hotel, staff were very accommodating and upgraded us to a deluxe suite. I thought this was a good sign of things to come, unfortunately I was completely wrong…

• Be prepared to pay £50 (without option) per night of your stay on check in if you don't have a credit card but only debit card.
• Our hotel room could definitely make use of additional insulation… couldn’t sleep with a guests nasty cough next door!
• Wifi signal could not be picked up in room. I reported this to staff but was told that I should consider using the hotel lobby or bar, even though the hotels cost of the Wifi is £7 per 24 Hrs!
• Spa robes and scandals were missing in the room and had to be requested from reception.
• Don’t expect complementary whiskey, we even requested this and still didn’t receive any.
• Requested ice from reception and had to ring 20 minutes to remind them for it again, this may seem pedantic but regardless better is expected from an expensive 5 star hotel!
• Bring lots of money for the room's minibar. As expected, it's overpriced.

Nothing could be considered special about the experience, overall, if I would not recommend a stay in this hotel, it's certainly not good value for money which would be better spent elsewhere for a more enjoyable exeperience!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ciaran C

Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I am sorry that we have not met with your personal expectations throughout your stay; I would like to respectfully correct a couple of the points that you have made.

We offer complimentary wifi throughout all public areas and our guests rooms and this can be upgraded for additional download allowance or speed of service, I’m sorry that you appear to have the wrong information relating to this.

With regards to the whiskey in your room, as I do not have your personal details and the room number/category that you stayed in I am unable to comment with clarity on this however I can confirm that the complimentary whiskey is available to all of our guests staying with us in any of our Publisher or Director suites. I do, however apologise that this does not appear to have been explained to you and was not arranged on your request.

I would like to reassure you that our prices throughout the hotel, including our mini bar are checked regularly to ensure that they are in line with all other 5 star, city centre hotels; however I am sorry that this has not met with your personal expectations

I would like to thank you for your feedback once again

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We originally stayed here in February 2011 the night before our wedding with our entire wedding party. In fact, the last time I left the hotel I was wearing my wedding dress.

Wheen decided to return for Hogmanay (New Years Eve) and mentioned in our notes that we had previously visited the hotel I had no idea just how special the staff would make our return stay. Not only was this one of the busiest times of year for the hotel but on our return we were met by such friendly and helpful staff (who remembered our room numbers) and were given an upgrade to the room we had previously been in - simply outstanding!

The whole feel of our stay was not only nostalgia but homely, everyone greeted us as if they remembered us and we loved spending every minute there. Our stay was a constant trip down memory lane and just being back in this iconic hotel made it even more special for us.

As we now live overseas, we won't be in Edinburgh as often but we know for sure when we do return, The Scotsman will now be our choice each and every time as our 'family hotel'. In fact upon leaving, the Concierge wished us farwell and said 'come back in a few years to room 902 again' - totally sincere.

Thank you again to The Scotsman and the whole team for making our return trip so memorable and special!! Your location, history and service is unrivalled - please make sure anyone wishing to visit Edinburgh should choose The Scotsman as they will not be dissapointed!

Room Tip: Book an Editors suite facing Princes Street if possible
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

It was a pleasure to welcome you both back to the Scotsman and I was delighted to hear that you stay was at the high standard you expected; it has always been our aim to offer our guests a home from home experience with the edge of luxury and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed every moment with us
We look forward to welcoming you back to your “family hotel” in the future

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Scotsman waqs good but i was a little disappointed.

We stayed for christmas but it didn't feel very festive staying here.

The location is excellent, is very close to both Princes Street and the Royal Mile
The building is lovely especially the main staircase with the candles.

The room (613) was fine but not what i expected for a 5*, The TV kept changing channel on its own which was very annoying. The window was very large which was very nice but it has those horrible white netted blinds.

We had a meal on christmas eve and day. The food was amazing but the service wasn't great especially on christmas day which was very disappointing as everything was pre-ordered.

One last thing - The bar staff were very nice and couldn't be more helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations during the festive period; the feedback that I have received from our guests is of a very positive nature and so I was surprised by your comments. I would like to kindly ask you to contact me directly to allow me to answer your specific queries in relation to Christmas Day.

I have already addressed the maintenance issues that you have mentioned with regards to your TV in this room; all maintenance queries are addressed as soon as they are brought to our attention either by our guests or regular checks of the rooms.

Thank you for your kind compliments in relation to the service that you received and I hope you will choose to return in the future

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in December so these two Aussies found it was very cold outside the hotel but inside was a delight and we were attended to by the very proffesional staff in all facets of our stay. The room was large,clean and well decorated, the restaurant was a delight for both dinner and breakfast. We parked our car at the Railway Station which is OK but make sure you get your ticket validated prior to removing the vehicle so as to save about 30% on the charge.
We used public transport or walked to get about without any problems and visited the Castle,Botanical Gardens etc. The Gurkha restaurant in the street at the rear of the hotel is great.

Room Tip: We had a superior room but am not sure about the others
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

It was lovely to read that you made the most of your time in Edinburgh and enjoyed some of the wonderful sights that our Capital city has to offer.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future