“Class”

Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“Class”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed for only one night prior to heading off to my sister's wedding.
We arrived from the airport bus ( a short walk) Up the steps..hint- there is a lift! and there we were. WOW!
The door was opened for us, the lovely reception staff welcomed us as if royalty and Tony showed us to our room.
It was absolutely gorgeous in every way. I had my son with us and his sofa bed was already made up. (I have lost count of the amount of times i have stayed places and they forget to set up his cot and now bed is unreal- it was a pleasant surprise!)

I can't believe anyone could say this place is not 5 star. I have stayed in Marriot and HIlton 5 star resorts and hotels and this is the best! So refreshing to see decor that doesn't look like it came out of a catelogue and the same as everywhere else. This place has taste and class galore! The room 806 was huge, high ceilings and well furnished- it felt like a suite- a sitting area with a fireplace and art on the walls. I thought i'd won the lottery- talk about value for money!

i will go on! Toiletries were gorgeous, sweets in the room ( my boy was delighted) and a mini bar to die for!

I wished we hadn't booked for the theatre that night as i wanted to hang out in the hotel and the room more!

Next morning we were off to the train station ( took the lift this time!) and we were accross the road from the entrance- could not have been closer. Ignore any review which say otherwise- these are ridiculous- you could not get closer if you slept on the platform.

Perfect- can't wait for an excuse to go back!

Room Tip: our room 806- view of Calton hill
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff and in particular Tony who was very pleased to read your comments; we are proudly known for the 5 star standard of service that our team offers and I was pleased to read that you experienced this during your stay.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much is an added bonus; we hope to welcome you and your family back again in the future
Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a most impressive building. We were given an upper floor room with a small study in ther corner turret.
Excellent staff and a real pleasure to be based here for a whistletop visit to this beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and look forward to welcoming you back in the future
scotland
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This 5star Hotel is well situated near Waverley Station, with access from the Market Street Exit by lift. The Hotel is set out confusingly mainly due to its former use as the Offices for the Scotsman Newspaper. Reception could have been more friendly and the lifts are very slow indeed. Staff are helpful and rooms are sometimes on the dark side with paucital lighting. The Brasserie serves good if not outstanding breakfasts. Not overpriced.
All in all a convenient city base.

Room Tip: One with Views of the city rather than the dull internal non vista
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank vincitveritas
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some of our Reception staff; as you can see from the majority of reviews on sites such as Trip Advisor our Staff are proudly known for their fantastic service however I am sorry that we did not meet your personal expectations.

I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future

Somerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

the food was excellent ,the staff very good .the only issue we had was they were changing wine suppliers ,we requested a bottle of wine of which they did not have the bar staff supplied a lesser quality wine with out our prior knowledge of which we refused to drink ,so we chose something else to drink .this was the only downside to a great stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank joeholland87
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am sorry that you had a small problem with the wine that you ordered however I was pleased to hear that this was only a small downside to an otherwise “great stay.”
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I hope that you will chose to return to us in the future and look forward to perhaps welcoming you back to the Scotsman
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from a one-night stay to celebrate my husband's birthday and to go to a rugby match. Hotel staff were very polite and helpful. On arrival were told we had been upgraded from an Editor's room to a Publisher room but what we got was a fairly cold, shabby (stains on carpets, sofas and curtains and the curtains were badly frayed) dungeon located next to the boiler room with a view of a brick wall - definitely not what was described for either an Editor or a Publisher room, not worthy of 5 stars and not worth the considerable sum I'd paid. Complained to reception and after 1 1/2 hours of to-ing and fro-ing we were able to move in to a more acceptable room with a view over the city. Although much happier with this room I would still say it only rated 4 stars (really good sized room and bed but decor and carpet stained and worn in places; some stains on bed throw, slippers and doors, all of which could easily have been cleaned). I've stayed in better 4 star hotels so where's the extra wow factor for the 5th star ?

Had been looking forward to using the spa before dinner but didn't have time due to the delay with the allocation of our room. Breakfast was very good (we were on a B&B rate) and we liked the fact you could choose anything from the cooked menus as well as helping yourelf to the continental buffet. Excellent choice and well cooked.

Overall, a good hotel with helpful and polite staff and good food but overpriced and not worth a 5 star rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicksyM
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your original room that was allocated to you but pleased that we were able to offer you a room that more suited your personal expectations.

As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. We always endeavour to allocate our guests rooms with views across the city however I’m sure you can appreciate that due to our position this is not always possible.

I would like to apologise that you feel that we did not justify our 5 star rating to you during your stay and would like to offer you my assurance that Preferred Hotels, Visit Scotland and The AA run several audits throughout the year and we are proud to maintain our rating with them.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem our good name with yourselves and that we will see you back at the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great location from train station, shops, bars & restaurants. Received an upgrade on arrival & got a lovely big room & huge bathroom, very comfortable bed.
Used the spa facilities, not treatments just pool area, steam & sauna. So relaxing my partner fell asleep on the poolside beds!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Embody
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Scotsman with my daughter, we booked a 2 day spa package & it was excellent! From first walking in we were greeted by friendly welcoming staff. Andrew showed us to our room & explained the working for us, then left us to look around. The room was lovely, with views over the street to Princes street & beyond. We had evening meal on our first night as part of the package & this was a very nice meal, again staff very friendly. Breakfast was enjoyable with plenty of choice. We booked afternoon tea at the hotel which was fab, my daughter throughly enjoyed this as she has a wheat intolerance, but had the choice of a completely gluten free afternoon tea!! a special mention to Angela in the restaurant, she was very polite & informative & remembered about my daughter & her gluten free diet & brought gluten free toast with her breakfast without been reminded. The spa was another enjoyable part of our stay & 3 treatments were included in the package. Had a swim & jacuzzi in the lovely pool after the spa. We would definately return to this hotel & recommend to anyone thinking of staying there. We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe twin looking over the bridge, lovely views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments in particular about Angela; I have already personally passed these onto her and our Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back