“Not a 5 Star Experience!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #88 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dundee
“Not a 5 Star Experience!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having enjoyed a wonderful weekend in the Glasshouse (Sister Hotel), we were really looking forward to an equally wonderful stay at the Scotsman. Sadly, this was not to be.
Our poor experience was absolutely no reflection on the Front of House Staff, who were friendly, polite and obliging, but was mainly due to the tired appearance of our Eighth Floor Room, Corridor and the very slow and smelly Lift (this smell permeating into both Corridor and Bedroom) and other issues.
The Bedroom itself was lovely, featuring a little turret study area, however there were maintenance issues throughout. The skirting boards (MDF?) around the Bathroom Door were swollen due to water, as was the bottom of the door. The toilet seat hinges were facing opposite directions resulting on the seat being out of line with the toilet. Using the TV was a nightmare, as the remote control buttons were difficult to read and I suspect the batteries were very low. As mentioned in a previous review, the light switch arrangement was quite confusing and the flexible reading lights so dim as to be useless.
We were confused, also by the Guest Guide Book which referred to Breakfast served on the 3rd Floor (actually served in the 4th Floor Brasserie), provided mixed messages regarding wi-fi (chargeable Swisscom or Free?) and having been informed that a Scotsman Newspaper or Scotland on Sunday would be delivered each morning to our room, the Sunday paper failed to show. When I queried this with a member of the Concierge Staff, I was told that on Sundays, no newspapers were delivered to the Hotel.
Reference has been made in previous reviews to Slippers and Dressing Gowns being laid out on a prepared bed - no such service for us, I'm afraid!!
We had great difficulty finding our way to the Leisure Centre, due to the confusing layout of the Hotel, but were rather underwhelmed when we eventually found it. It seemed a dark and unwelcoming place, with some dodgy looking bodybuilder types using the Gym and we chose not to return.
Breakfast on the first morning, was reasonable - a good buffet spread and a filling Full Scottish Breakfast. My wife's poached eggs were, however, just that - over done eggs on a plate! Fortunately the waitress spotted this and immediately offered a replacement plate with toast.
Our second Breakfast was much worse - we both ordered scrambled egg and what was presented was truly unacceptable for a 5 Star establishment. Both plates were covered with pale scrambled egg, mixed with what looked like cut up boiled egg and mysterious grey bits. Sadly, this mess was not spotted by the waitress and it took the Breakfast Supervisor, who came over to clear our table, to ask why we had not cleared our plates. On seeing the poor standard of presentation, she immediately took the plates over to the Breakfast Chef (a new start, apparently) for an explanation and offered to bring fresh servings (we declined). This is a totally unacceptable experience for any guest in a 5 Star hotel. Our ten year old grandson, can produce wonderful scrambled egg, so we would expect a fully trained chef to be able to do likewise!
Needless to say, despite us benefitting for a very reduced pre-booked deal, we would not consider returning to this Hotel and certainly could not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Try the Glasshouse.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GrumpyDundee
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your last experience at the Scotsman Hotel.

We were disappointed to read of your thoughts and urge that if you wish to discuss this further the Senior Management team would be delighted to hear from you directly.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review

Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our third visit to The Scotsman. Our rooms have got better and better and this time we had a bathroom with our own personal sauna...wow! The front of house staff are superb, friendly, professional and nothing is too much trouble for them. We had dinner in the hotel's brasserie. The food is wonderful, perfectly cooked and the service is perfect. I couldn't recommend The Scotsman enough if you want a luxurious feeling of being cocooned in comfort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
It is lovely to hear that you have returned to stay with us on several occasions and we hope to welcome you back again soon. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Many Thanks
Claire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be part of a dinner at The Scotsman last week that showcased a bespoke menu by the chef, designed to match up to different styles of Champagne.

It was excellent throughout and great to see a Chef's flair for cooking outwith the confines of the usual menu coming to life.

Stayed October 2012
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your positive comments of your culinary experience at the hotel.
We are delighted with the new menu and are receiving very positive feedback for Executive Chef Paul Hart and his kitchen brigade. Please come back soon to experience the wonderful delights we have launching over the Festive time.
Once again thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Traditional olde world style hotel in an excellent location very close to Royal Mile . Service from all the staff is very good . Tasty cooked breakfast ( a bit pricey though) . Room was large with all necessary comforts . Bar staff were very friendly .

Room Tip: rooms facing Northbridge Road can get some traffic nosie
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review on trip advisor.
The hotel is located in the original Scotsman Newspaper offices, where we are proud to display the features of some of the period architecture. We are very proud of the team at the Scotsman Hotel and we are delighted that their passion for hospitality is shining through for our guests to enjoy.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here in 2011 and it was terrific. We only had 1 tiny problem and it was resolved very professionally. We returned last week with high expectations but were left extremely disappointed by a number of things.

The good points include the concierge and the food in the bar was tasty. We stayed in the Baron suite which was a good size and had a cracking view of Princes Street.

However, from the moment we arrived we were greeted with a foul stench in the elevator, which remained for the 5 days we were there.

We entered our room to be greeted by a blaring welcome message on the television. Common enough these days, but I hate it.

The lighting system is an absolute joke. Nobody has time to waste trying to figure out how to work the lights. What's wrong with an on/off switch? I don't need a console, and especially don't want a set-up where I can't have lights off in the bedroom (where my 5 month old son was sleeping) and have the lights on in the living room where we were sitting. Ridiculous.

We used room service a lot because our son is only 5 months old, and the service was very poor. Every time we used it, something was forgotten from the order and the staff had to disappear and come back. By the time they had returned with the bread, I had finished my soup which I was trying to eat VERY slowly.

We had some family over one night to dine in the suite, and my sister ordered the burger. I still can't believe this happened in a 5 star hotel. A burger in a dry bun arrived. No salad, no garnish, not even butter. How does that make it out of the kitchen in a 5 star hotel? We even had to show the waiter what was included on the menu for him to come back with the grated cheese, tomato relish etc by which time most of us had eaten most of our meal.

Furthermore, the complimentary whisky (a nice touch) was taken away on day 2, and only returned on day 4 despite the fact that I asked about it on day 3. I was told that nobody knew where it had gone, and when they brought it back they said "sorry, but we don't have any glasses we can give you." Absolutely unbelievable for a 5 star hotel.

Lunch in the bar was tasty, but the service was the worst I have ever had. I don't know if the waiter was hung-over or just plain odd, but he was woefully inadequate. The place wasn't busy, but my friends had to sit for 15 minutes before they were offered a drink. He returned with one drink instead of two, and asked what the other drink was. He apologised for having 'one of those days'. We ordered some more drinks, and again he returned with just 2 out of the 3 and asked what the other drink was. By this time I had made my mind up that he was incompetent, but the fun was only about to start.

He then brought some of the food out, and asked if everybody had everything they asked for. Two of the five people at the table had nothing in front of them, and this is the same guy that took our order! Useless.

The whole service was littered with strange comments and an awkward attempt at humour. At one stage he began waving his hands above his head and suggested we do likewise if we wanted his attention. This is not typical of a 5 star hotel.

My auntie arrived in the reception on day 4 and asked the receptionist to let me know I had arrived. The reception said she would phone me. Luckily, I ventured down to the lobby of my own accord 5 minutes later, because I never received a phone call, and neither did my wife who was sitting in the room whilst I went to the lobby.

The living room never had a bin.

Our room service trays were not removed from the privacy hatch, and we had to phone 3 times to ask for them to be taken away.

Our room service breakfast card was used on the first day, but they never replaced it the whole time we were there.

Our laundry bag and checklist was also used on the first day as we had been staying elsewhere in Scotland for the previous 5 days. The bag and checklist were never replaced. We had to phone twice and ask for another one.

Another good point is that the hotel have a good relationship with an excellent babysitting service, which we used twice in order to dine out. This enabled us to escape the Fawlty Towers service.

On the day we were leaving, housekeeping arrived twice whilst we were packing to see if we needed the room serviced. Perhaps they should adopt the same system that every other hotel in the world has whereby housekeeping are TOLD which rooms are checking out. It felt like we were being chased out of the place.

As mentioned above, the last time we stayed here it was great. This time was bad enough that I don't think I will ever return given that the Balmoral is just down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tuggyboy
We were disappointed to read of your experience and urge that if you wish to discuss this further the Senior Management team would be delighted to hear from you directly.
Once again thank you for taking the time to your review.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife surprised me with a night in the Penthouse suite at the Scotsman on our 25th wedding anniversary this year. We had an amazing time, the staff were absolutely excellent. The hotel sent up a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and an anniversary card which was really thoughtful. The food from the restaurants was also very good, we had lunch sent up to the room and had it placed in the privacy hatch. We also ate our evening meal downstairs in the North Bridge Brasserie (part of the Hotel but also had it's own entrance) again the food was excellent. The menu was very good with plenty to choose from and there was a really good wine list to compliment the food. With this hotel being in the centre of Edinburgh there was plenty to see and do, we went for a walk round Princes Street gardens which was a really good way to work off the over indulgence of the night before. The fringe was about to start the following week so there were loads of street performers and shows happening all over the place so the walk was very entertaining to say the least. I would recommend a visit to the Scotsman for anybody looking to do something really special or just to be treated like a king or queen.

Room Tip: The Penthouse suite has a special key that takes you straight to its floor stopping at no other floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more
We truly believe in being able to offer our guests a 5 star standard and quality of service and that all special occasions are worth celebrating so it was our pleasure to offer you a few little “extras.”
August is a wonderfully entertaining time of year in Edinburgh and I’m glad you took the opportunity to enjoy some of the unusual sights and performances that are in such close proximity to the hotel.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Really nice. I think it is the staff that make me feel so positive about this hotel. From the doorman (who nothing was a problem - even me being a disgrace when turning up drunk and losing me keys) to the reception staff. The rooms are comfortable (although the price of water is a disgrace...come on!). it is very scottish and i like that!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future