“Excellent Hotel, Dinning service a dissapointment”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Hotel, Dinning service a dissapointment”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night the first week of Oct. Front desk and Concierge were very friendly and helpful. The room was very good. It was large with a nice modern bathroom. We loved the history in this building and the location is fantastic.
The dinning room was a bit disappointing, mostly in the service, we were meeting a group and they arrived about 10-15 min late. This seemed to really agitate our waitress who insisted she wanted to take our order right away. We had to politely tell her to come back twice at which point she didn't return for over 15 min to take our orders, at which point she had quite a bit of attitude. We were on holiday and did not wish to be rushed through our cocktails, it was a minor hick-up and the food was very good.

Room Tip: We had a King room with a seating area which was nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding our Reception and Concierge teams; I have already passed on your kind comments to the teams as well as my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.

I am pleased you enjoyed the historical nature of the Scotsman and the prime location that we hold on North Bridge.

With regards to your comments about the service you received in the Brasserie I am unfortunately unable to investigate this as thoroughly as I would like due to not having your personal details regarding the date you visited etc. If you would like to write to me directly and supply me with this information I would be more than happy to investigate this with our Brasserie staff.

We always endeavour to deliver a 5 star quality and standard of service and I am disappointed to hear that you have left our restaurant without us being able to meet your expectations; however I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal and that you feel the service you received was only a “minor hiccup.”

I hope that if you choose to return to Edinburgh you may perhaps, choose to stay with us at the Scotsman and I look forward to possibly welcoming you back

Thomas Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Visited the restaurant with colleagues. Good Food, service very good. The only complaint would be the wine list which was mediocre. The building, restauarant, rooms, staircase etc are gorgeous

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank michealCork_Ireland
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the North Bridge Brasserie.

I was pleased to hear that you experienced the standard of food and service that we are proudly known for and you and your colleagues enjoyed the fabulous surroundings of the Brasserie.

You have commented on the “mediocre” wine list which, I am a little confused by as our wine list offers a vast choice of white, red and rose wine as well as a selection of Champagne. Should you choose to visit the Brasserie again please take the opportunity to speak to our Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight who will be more than happy to discuss the various wines we have and recommend something suitable for your party.

I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Brasserie and perhaps the Scotsman Hotel itself in the future

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2011

we booked a three night stay at the scotsman,for a short break away to relax,It was our ,first time visiting edingburgh,and we definately were not disappointed,from the moment we walked through the door we recieved a very walm welcome,the rooms were immaculate with everything that you could possibly want,all members of staff were extremely attententive and friendly,the food was beautiful,the spa and pool faccilities ,again we couldnt fault them the staff bent over backwards to meet our requests,i will definately be going again hopefully very soon and this time we will be staying longer as we didnt want to leave,and will definately be recommending it to family and friends,i loved everything about it

2 Thank lisa g
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel; as you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future is an added bonus. I was pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy all of our facilities from the Spa and Health Club to our wonderful menus in the North Bridge Brasserie and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman for that “longer stay.”

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Scotsman. The welcome was from the concierge Ivor was efficient and polite, our bags were immediately taken despite the fact that three other people arrived almost simultaneously. We booked the Penthouse Suite and regard this as money well spent as an almost perfect way to spend the last few days of our holiday. The suite is well appointed and very comfortable.

The front desk and all other members of staff attended to our every request promptly and efficiently.

The Hungarian waitress we had at the North Bridge Brasserie restaurant was a gem. Her service to us was friendly and efficient, she even found the time between her tables to chat a little. The time taken to deliver the courses was well timed and the food we ordered was excellent.

You are a short walk away from the Royal Mile which makes the location of The Scotsman almost ideal for a tourist. We had dropped off the hired car at the airport in anticipation of limited parking availability.

We would have no hesitation in recommending The Scotsman to any fellow traveller based on our experience.

Room Tip: If it is within your budget, The Penthouse is a must.
3 Thank Tash&John
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilized for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

Our Penthouse is such a hidden treasure that it is lovely to hear you enjoyed the beautiful views and stunning 2 floor facilities that the Penthouse offers.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff; Ivor has been with the Scotsman since our opening day 10 years ago and is an experienced, knowledgeable and professional member of our Front of House team. All of our staff believe in delivering the highest level of service whilst ensuring this is done in a relaxed and friendly manner and it is lovely to hear that our waitress had the time to chat with you.

I hope that you will return to Edinburgh again in the future and perhaps treat yourself to another stay in our Penthouse; I certainly look forward to welcoming you back

Dundee
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I booked the Scotsman for a night in September to attend a concert at the castle. The highlight of the stay was the concierge who paid attention to every detail and had a great memory to remember the guests and what they were there for. Loved his tartan trousers. I was dissapointed to be taken to our room at check in time to find that the bed had not been made and the room not cleaned from the previous occupant. We then had to leave the room for it to be cleaned and advised to put our bags in the wardrobe for safe keeping and in doing so the wardrobe handle fell off. We did mention that we were not happy and expected a bottle of wine to return to which didnt appear. Deffinately not 5 star service.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie2810
Our Concierge like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times and I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
The gentleman in the “tartan trousers” who you have spoken about is our doorman Ivor and he has been with the hotel since its opening day 10 years ago. I have passed your kind compliments onto Ivor and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe and I would like to thank you for these kind words.
I have to say that I was concerned to hear of your arrival in a room that had not been serviced as this is certainly not a situation I would like to hear of any of my guest’s experiencing.
Due to the profile format on Trip Advisor I do not have any of your personal details so I am unable to comment with clarity on this for you so I would be grateful if you could contact me directly giving me the opportunity to investigate this matter thoroughly and reply to you personally. I have already spoken to my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle who has discussed with her team the importance of attention to detail during their work and she is also keen to find out further details
With regards to your comment about the bottle of wine you requested; I have spoken to Andrew and he has asked all of his team about this and unfortunately no-one has a record of your request. As above if you would be so good as to contact us I am more than happy to investigate this further.
I am sorry that you we did not meet your expectations and that you believe you did not receive 5 star service during your stay; I do hope that you will return and allow us to treat you to the service and standards for which we are proudly known; please contact me directly should you choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman.
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The hotel is good,very well positioned,near to everything-shopping area,tourist attractions like the Caste,Whiskey museum,Camera Obscura etc,the railway station and the bus going to the airport. Breakfust is good,one have everything.The hotel has a good gym and spa area,nice service. I would say-a real 4 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

As you have said we hold an enviable location in Edinburgh with easy access to both the modern shopping of Princes Street and the old and traditional tourist sights of the Royal Mile; with our Market Street entrance located directly across the road from the Waverley Train Station and a minutes walk to the Airport Bus stop we are indeed “well positioned” for all of Edinburgh’s visitors.

I am pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy our 60 station gym and Scotland’s first stainless steel pool in our Spa and Health Club during your stay.

I must admit I am surprised by your statement of the Scotsman being a “real 4 star hotel” as we proudly hold our 5 star status from Leading Hotel’s of the World, Visit Scotland and the AA and as you have not commented on any aspect of your stay that you were not happy with I can only apologise that we appear to have not met your own personal expectations.

I hope that you may choose to return to the Scotsman in the future when we can offer you the 5 star standard of star we are known for.

Elgin
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had a terrific couple of days in this luxury hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Stylishly converted from the Scotsman newspaper HQ some years ago, it's a maze of corridors, reception rooms, spa and gym facilities and beautiful bedrooms, some with superb views of Princes Street and Carlton Hill. Meals are in the Brasserie, which is also a tasteful bar open to the public. The breakfast was amazing with a great choice of food. We had an evening meal there, too, which was very good and reasonably priced for the quality. Staff were polite, efficient and helpful. A wonderful, extremely comfortable stay - we'd go back anytime!

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking Princes Street, great view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed so many aspects of the Scotsman Hotel and North Bridge Brasserie and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh and the Scotsman Hotel.