“Very average”

Ranked #90 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Greater London
“Very average”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Expensive stay in a hotel that was very average. Booked premium room, but view was over railway sheds, although could see the firth in the distance. Arrived on a very cold day, but heating was switched off. Very good reception staff lent us their storage heater as they were unable to contact manager to get heating back on. Without them wouldn't have been able to shower in icy conditions.
Breakfast was standard business hotel fare - some of the buffet appeared to be for show only. There was no knife available to cut appetising looking loaf. Was provided with a steak knife then was dissappointed that loaf was obviously stale.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chaddersy
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. As you have said we are lucky enough to be next to Edinburgh’s main railway station hence your view of the station this however, does fortunately allow ease of access for our guest’s. I was pleased to see that you were allocated one of our much-sought after rooms with the fantastic views across the city and to the Firth of the Forth.

With regards to the heating in the hotel, as I’m sure you can appreciate we would not expect to have the heating system turned on in the middle of June; the main system was switched off in the first week of June after a pleasant period of warm weather. Unfortunately following this Edinburgh has not enjoyed a glorious summer so I would like to apologise that the room was not at a comfortable heating level for you. As we always endeavour to ensure our guest’s are as comfortable as possible our reception team are able to provide portable heaters should they be required.

You have commented on our “standard” breakfast and I am concerned to hear that we did not meet your personal expectations. Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart takes pride in offering our guest’s a wonderfully diverse range of freshly cooked to order Scottish dishes as well as a vast choice from our buffet. Our breakfast is in fact award winning and Paul offers choices from individual items such as Eggs Benedict and Finnan Haddie through to our full Scottish cooked breakfast range the fresh buffet offers a large selection of fresh fruit juices, cereals, breads and pastries, cold meats, smoked salmon and cheeses.

With regards to your comments about the buffet being for “show only” I am slightly confused by this statement as our breakfast contains over 30 products freely available for our guest’s to help themselves; although perhaps you meant it was well displayed and without having had a detailed discussion with you I am sure exactly what you mean by this.

I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan who informs me that the selection of breads, brioche’s and croissants are always served fresh every morning with several bread knives for our guest’s use.

We always strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and ensure they have a truly enjoyable and relaxing stay; I can see that unfortunately on this occasion we have failed to do this. As you can see from the majority of our guest’s reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor we are very proud of the 5 star service we offer.

Thomas Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I have just recently returned from this hotel with my partner who booked it as a surprise. It is originally the old offices for the Scotsman news paper and it has kept much of the original character. The staff were helpful and friendly and were made to feel relaxed the moment we arrived. We were situated in room 809 which was first class. It over looked the bridge and Princes Street and gave a fantastic view of the city. It is very tastefully decorated with traditional Scottish colours. Its equipped with the latest entertainment system, which I think came from the star ship enterprise. The bathroom was amazing and again tastefully decorated. When we left for the even the staff returned and made our bed and also gave us fresh towels. They also left an ice cold bottle of of spring was which is complementary. This was a very nice touch.

We used the spa facilities which were great and the gym was very well equipped. You could even participate in any of the fitness classes held there.

Our stay was relaxing and enjoyable and I would recommend this place to anyone. Yes its pricey but in this day and age you pay for what you get and this place is definitely 5***

The only draw back is no on site parking, but due to the character of the building you can understand why. The hotel offers discount of 30% on the NCP long stay car park only 150 meters away which was acceptable.

Room Tip: Room 809 has a great view and very spacious.
1 Thank Niel J
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman Hotel.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guest's feel special and i am pleased to see that you experienced the team's professionalism and friendliness.

As you have said many of our rooms enjoy fantastic views the old town of Edinburgh to Calton Hill, the Firth of the Forth and Princes Street. The turndown service that we provide to all of our guest's is just one of those little extras that, as you have said, make all the difference.

I can offer you an assurance that our rooms and suites are priced competitively with all other 5 star hotels in the city centre.

With regards to the car park; as you have said we are one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accomodate our own car park but do offer a discounted rate at the NCP car park only 3 minutes walk from the hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your "first class" stay with us and i hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay thanks to the attentive service of the staff, who are around but non-intrusive. Our luxurious room was well equiped, with outstanding views of the Edinburgh skyline including the Castle. Although we were lucky enough to have a sauna in our room, we had a fabulous afternoon in the Spa, enjoying the facilities before indulging ourselves with a sea salt scrub and aromatic massage in the private treatment rooms. We left the hotel reconnected, refreshed and intend to be back.

2 Thank jpaul21

We like to deliver a truly 5 star "Scotsman" experience to our guest's; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and to offer the very best service at all times, i am pleased to see that you experience all of these throughout your stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed one of our sumptuous rooms with its own sauna as well as having time to enjoy the facilities of our Spa and Health Club.

I very much enjoy reading our guest's review and to hear that you left the Scotsman ready to take on the world is an added bonus.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

UK
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my family. The Scotsman is luxurious and decadent without being overbearing. You will see this from the moment you step into the foyer which is furnished in the style of a grand living room, all purples, cushions, velvet, great art work of Edinburgh, crystal and black.

All the staff we came into contact with were extremely friendly and helpful, making sure our requests were dealt with in a timely manner. The room was spacious, clean and well equipped. I had no issue with anything room-related except the noise from the street below but that is to be expected on a Friday night in the middle of any city.

The only downside we experienced was being sent a bill for the mini bar once we returned to London- in spite of us stating at checkout that nothing had been opened or used. They charged us without seeking authorisation for the credit card which was unacceptable.

So, overall the hotel experience was a very positive one but make sure you clear everything up at checkout!!! We eventually were reimbursed after complaining but no apology was issued which would have been the professional thing to do.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SKBUk

The Scotsman hotel was orginally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We always endeavour to treat our guest's to a 5 star "home from home" experience and i am pleased to hear you saw this as a "grand living room."

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; i am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.

During the check-out process reception staff would normally ask the question regarding use of the mini ba, as the rooms will not have been checked at this time. On completion of the rooms being checked by a member of our staff a report is given to my reception team. This highlights items that have been taken from the mini bar and is cross checked against the room bill; if the item has not been accounted for then it is charged accordingly.

I would like to apologise that you we charged you incorrectly. We always endeavour to ensure that our guest's complete their bills at the time of check-out but unfortunately it appears that on this occasion we have made a mistake. I have spoken to my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe who has already addressed this issue with his team. I am pleased to hear that the amount was refunded and please accept my apologies for the lack of apology at this time.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest's reviews and to hear that you had such a "positive" experience is an added bonus.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Edinburgh and The Scotsman in the future

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent very pleasant 20 or so hours at the hotel sampling the food, wine, atmosphere and style of this impressive establishment. It cost a bit but for a special night away it is well worth it. The food is great and the wine very good and well priced. The staff were excellent and most helpful.

Room Tip: Call them.
1 Thank Spike606
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I have personally passed your compliments onto my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan and my Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart both of who greatly appreciated you taking the time to post such a positive review following your stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to here that you had such a pleasant stay is an added bonus.

I hope that you will return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman Hotel in the future.

nyc
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I accompanied my parents to Edinburgh this spring on a business trip and we stayed at The Scotsman.

The Scotsman, conveniently located in historic Old Town, is a beautiful old newspaper building that was converted into a hotel . Thus, as the bellman put it to us as we wound through hallways, around corners and up and down elevators, it is a bit like a 'rabbit's warren.' Do not expect floor (or room) symmetry. Or for that matter, a simple route to the gym--it is accessed by it's own elevator and a long corridor. But once you get there, it's an expansive, beautiful, well equipped gym with a large swimming pool and jacuzzi.

The interiors of the hotel are decorated with traditional Scottish warmth--dark greens and browns, clubby leather sofas, vintage black and white marble floors and hunting prints on the walls.

Each guest room had its own architectural character and was very spacious, with comfortable bedding and modern(ish) amenities. A large decanter of purified water left on the bedside table each evening at turn down was a thoughtful touch. Complimentary internet was also a plus.

My parents' room on the main floor was accented by floor to ceiling carved wood paneling and dark, heavy furnishings --the effect being that of a gothic bedchamber. It was very nice, though, and their large window opened out onto beautiful views of the bridge and New Town. Their chief complaint was the lighting--it was so poor that they could hardly read at night; the little bedside reading lights gave off such dim light they were effectively useless.

My room was downstairs. My room was larger and sparer than my parents', with lighter woods and decor. Both rooms had bedside wall controls for lights in different parts of the room (hall, bedroom, etc). Sadly, the flat screen television was dying; the sound had a whining, tinny echo to it. Since the point of our visit was sightseeing, I never complained to the staff. Curiously, my bathroom had two sinks in it--a new one with a granite counter top, the other, an old fashioned, small porcelain sink--but was otherwise renovated and modern.

Service at the Scotsman was terrific; the concierge, bellman, gym staff and even maintenance and cleaning people in the hallways were always friendly and helpful, from giving us the room and hotel tour, to confirming dinner reservations, calling taxis and the like.

The one area where the Scotsman could improve is in it's onsite restaurant, The Bistro. It lacked an inviting ambiance, and service and hours were erratic. Breakfast was the best meal of the day; afternoon tea was disappointingly bland for an upscale hotel in the UK. And vacuuming at noon, not allowing customers a table or a menu until an arbitrary reopening time? It's the only restaurant in the hotel--be resourceful and accommodate your guests!

Overall, though, our experience was a pleasant one, and if you are looking for a good upscale hotel in Edinburgh, I would recommend a stay at The Scotsman.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor or higher
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MaisieNewYork
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry to hear that our Brasserie did not meet your expectations. We are open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner throughout the day with no set service times so I was concerned to hear that you were not permitted a table or a menu. I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan regarding this unacceptable service and he has already addressed your comments with his team.

As you had such a wonderful experience with us otherwise I would like to invite you back to the Scotsman to enjoy the North Bridge Brasserie at its very best and I know that we will deliver the truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience we are so well known for.

Should you wish to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me directly or my Executive Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future

Glasgow
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We got a fantastic deal on a Publishers Suite for a two night stay. Having never stayed in anything as plush as a suite before we were both really excited, and the room did not dissapoint. We opted to take advantage of the discounted parking offered by the hotel on nearby Market Street and were able to access the hotel via the service entrance. Check-in was quick and efficient and we were shown to our room by a very helpful young man who explained the somewhat maze like layout of the hotel.

The suite itself was fantastic, nicely furnished with massive bed and views towards the castle. Best of all the enormous bathroom has it's own sauna! Only negative point was that the living area had only one comfortable chair - a couch would have been ideal.

Overall we had a great time at The Scotsman and will happily return.

1 Thank Dunedin14

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.

I am very pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Publisher suites and the added bonus of the in-room sauna.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman is an added bonus. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future